Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2022, 08:16 PM   #1
Klark

Default [Horror] Why Roll vs Corruption So Early?

I'm a bit confused as how to use Corruption as written in Horror, Madness Dossier, and the like. Specifically, I don't see why the rules call for rolling so early into the corruption process.

By my understanding, it works like this: Gary the PC has 12 points of Corruption. At the end of the week, he rolls Will at -1 per full 10 points of Corruption, so Will-1. However, on a failure, he only converts Corruption to negative character points at a rate of -1 per *full* 25 points of Corruption. This means, despite failing, Gary does not gain negative points nor reduce his Corruption total; he doesn't have enough to convert so nothing changes.

As far as I can tell, the Will roll was meaningless. Despite making the roll if you have *any* Corruption, no result--from critical success down to critical failure--has any effect. You might as well wait until the character hits 25 before making any roll, but the rules emphasize that having as little as a single point triggers a roll. What am I missing here?

Also sorry if this question has already been asked, I couldn't find anything in the forums.
Klark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:43 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [Horror] Why Roll vs Corruption So Early?

My inclination would be that a character who has less than 25 Corruption still loses a character point (gaining a Quirk or whatever) upon failing the Will roll. However, keep track of how much Corruption is actually invested in that [-1] - each additional point of Corruption you gain adds to the total for that trait, until it's at the full 25, after which point the character starts accumulated unassigned Corruption normally.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:51 AM   #3
Aldric

I don't have that book, so I can't say. Seems rather pointless if that's how it works, unless there are other effects of rolling, like reducing or increasing corruption based on margin, or for crits.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:11 AM   #4
lvalero

I have exactly the same wondering as the OP. Why roll dice when it is (apparently) pointless?
Old 03-12-2022, 12:04 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klark View Post
Gary the PC has 12 points of Corruption. At the end of the week, he rolls Will at -1 per full 10 points of Corruption, so Will-1.

However, on a failure, he only converts Corruption to negative character points at a rate of -1 per *full* 25 points of Corruption.

This means, despite failing, Gary does not gain negative points nor reduce his Corruption total; he doesn't have enough to convert so nothing changes.
Yeah it seems odd, if we're going to bother with rolling when someone has 24 or fewer corruption all I can think is converting it to decimals, ie 1 point of corruption becomes -0.04 character points.

Unless perhaps there is a "round down" policy on whatever decimal result you get, so even 0.04 negative CP rounds "down" to a full -1 quirk?

Yet using the term "full" seems to speak against that interpretation.

H147's "bought at character creation" guidelines also only counts as -1 cp per 10 corruption too, a different ratio.

Seems like it'd be simpler to gain -1 cp per 10 corruption and maybe if you have fractions of 10 you just track a single decimal place of negative character points?

Of course I don't know any way to design quirks worth less than -1 cp, decile -0.1 to -0.9 quirks could be interesting though. Otherwise I just wouldn't convert the corruption.

As for starting off with 1-9 corruption instead of 10, decile perks would be cool too.

Like maybe 1 dr (crushing only -40% tough skin -40% ablative -80%) could be worth 0.2 cp?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:19 PM   #6
Rolando

it is meaningless, but the GM may rule otherwise, maybe in a critical failure something else happen.

It may also make players nervous or there is a way to tie corruption rolls to fright checks or other will rolls.

But as far as rules as written the roll is completely irrelevant, so you may ignore it until later when it isn't.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:15 PM   #7
cupbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klark View Post
I'm a bit confused as how to use Corruption as written in Horror, Madness Dossier, and the like. Specifically, I don't see why the rules call for rolling so early into the corruption process.

By my understanding, it works like this: Gary the PC has 12 points of Corruption. At the end of the week, he rolls Will at -1 per full 10 points of Corruption, so Will-1. However, on a failure, he only converts Corruption to negative character points at a rate of -1 per *full* 25 points of Corruption. This means, despite failing, Gary does not gain negative points nor reduce his Corruption total; he doesn't have enough to convert so nothing changes.

As far as I can tell, the Will roll was meaningless. Despite making the roll if you have *any* Corruption, no result--from critical success down to critical failure--has any effect. You might as well wait until the character hits 25 before making any roll, but the rules emphasize that having as little as a single point triggers a roll. What am I missing here?

Also sorry if this question has already been asked, I couldn't find anything in the forums.
It is because the player does not know the total corruption they have. Remember that corruption can be accrued from multiple sources and some sources use a die roll to determine how many points. Therefore the player is in the dark about totals, they eventually have no idea if they are rolling for a reason or not.
Old 03-12-2022, 05:34 PM   #8
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupbearer View Post
It is because the player does not know the total corruption they have. Remember that corruption can be accrued from multiple sources and some sources use a die roll to determine how many points. Therefore the player is in the dark about totals, they eventually have no idea if they are rolling for a reason or not.
Isn't that kind of like making players do random HT checks because they might be poisoned and not know it?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:41 PM   #9
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Isn't that kind of like making players do random HT checks because they might be poisoned and not know it?
No, because it's not pointless harassment. It's a Horror game. The players are supposed to be worried, the more so if they've been fooling around with Things Man Was Not Meant To Know. Not checking for Corruption tells the player that they're still perfectly safe, which is sort of the exact opposite of creating an atmosphere of impending dread.

In this, rolling when only the GM knows whether the character has less then 25 points of Corruption is somewhat akin to the advice you often see for DF-style GMs to occasionally roll the dice to "check for wandering monsters" or occasionally call for Perception checks when there's no "trap" or sneaky ninja to find. GMs don't just soullessly implement dry mechanics; RPGs are interactive entertainment. All the people at the table should be trying to make a fun experience for all the others.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:46 PM   #10
Klark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupbearer View Post
The system already has an answer for issues like this though: secret rolls. Perception rolls, resistance rolls vs subtle threats, and similar scenarios where the player or character wouldn't know what's being rolled is handled by the GM doing the rolling behind a screen instead of asking the players to make rolls out of the blue. This is even spelled out on p. B344. I don't understand why they would write Corruption to be the sole exception, the one subsystem that bucks this trend.
Klark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corruption, gurps, horror, rules clarification