Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2020, 09:27 PM   #41
Plane

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: High Pain Threshold and Supernatural Durability

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This advantage forms a part of Supernatural Durability, and you can’t have both.
Like with other 'included' stuff (Regen and Rapid Healing, Enhanced Time Sense and Combat Reflexes ... am I forgetting others?) I like the idea of listing the included ability separately and just reducing the price of the pricier ability by that value when listing it.

The cool thing about that is you might have someone who "upgrades" temporarily from one to the other, and splitting them lets you design that better.

IE like partially limited abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Related to this is Immunity to Pain or such.
Lets see Injury Tolerance (Unstoppable) [10] from Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1
and the same thing or very closely related from GURPS Zombies which I dnt have at hand this moment.
The only approach I remember being used in Zombies aside from HPT and Supernatural Durability is Berserk, Z58 had a "Vicious" modifier for that which prevents attacking allies but requires rolls on sight of enemy instead of needing enemy or self to be injured.

Unstoppable could make sense for some zombies, though reduced ST/Move as HP goes down could also make sense for realistic zombies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
While HPT And Resistant/Immunity to pain are reasonably common in my games, combat robots and undead don't generally feel pain
If doing "Weapons as Characters" shock seems to apply to ranged weapons though per B548's RAM:

Damaged weapon: -HP of injury received last turn (maximum -4)
Shock: -HP of injury received last turn
Unlike normal shock there doesn't even seem to be a cap on this: so if I punch someone's gun for 10 damage and it had 4 DR and suffered a loss of 6 HP then if he fires at me in the next turn he's -6 to hit me.

Apparently this would apply even if I hit it with a "No Knockback" crushing attack (whereas "No Wounding" would inflict no penalty) so I'm not entirely sure what it's meant to represent...

I was actually thinking if it was based on damage instead of injury that'd make more sense, in which case the best way to get a penalty would be a shove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
one thing I rarely see is it's mirror image: Resistant/Immunity to Pleasure. Euphoria is priced exactly like 1.5 levels of pain, which to me implies the possibility of reworking it to be an exact mirror with Low, Moderate and High Euphoria levels, and Ecstacy is treated as exactly as the same as Agony with a different skill bonus, and the only ability related to it is Killjoy, a disadvantage. I suppose pleasure attacks just aren't very common.
Killjoy strikes me like Callous or Overconfident or Always-On Shadow form: easier to perceive as a meta-trait with disadvantages of greater value than it's advantages.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #42
Dexion

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: High Pain Threshold and Supernatural Durability

Perhaps a stupid question but I reread the advantage, and suddenly a question comes to mind. As I understand it, a person with SD cannot have a limb amputated or be beheaded? As long as it is above -1xHP or -5xHP? Yet when I think of the movie Jason vs. Freddy, Jason who has this advantage gets his eye out and his fingers cut off by Freddy. How do you handle it?
I'm little lost and I would like to know to use it for my next session.
Dexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:51 PM   #43
SimonAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
High Pain Threshold [10] is a mundane physical advantage. You still feel pain, but it doesn’t affect you nearly as badly as most people. The primary effect of this is that you don’t suffer shock penalties when you’re injured. This advantage first appeared in GURPS 1e.
SNIP

Have these advantages saved the day in your games?
A few times, yes. Its a good advantage.

They fit nicely in settings with low armored tough guy types like the Conan type games I've run.

While yes strictly speaking Combat Reflexes is much better if you have the extra 5 points for it, unlike HPT it can be taken later.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:20 PM   #44
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post
While yes strictly speaking Combat Reflexes is much better if you have the extra 5 points for it, unlike HPT it can be taken later.
In Martial Arts there are a significant number of Styles that list HPT as an optional Trait. My interpretation of the rules is that if you have such a style you can learn HPT after chargen. I'm guessing you get beat up so often in training that you get desensitized to pain.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #45
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexion View Post
Perhaps a stupid question but I reread the advantage, and suddenly a question comes to mind. As I understand it, a person with SD cannot have a limb amputated or be beheaded? As long as it is above -1xHP or -5xHP? Yet when I think of the movie Jason vs. Freddy, Jason who has this advantage gets his eye out and his fingers cut off by Freddy. How do you handle it?
I'm little lost and I would like to know to use it for my next session.
Give them Unkillable 1 and regular High Pain Threshold?

Supernatural Durability is something of a patchwork of different traits, I think. If the above combo doesn't work, give us an idea of what this character is specifically like, and I'm sure someone here can help you come up with the right package.

You also can just handwave it. Would it really be that much of a deal breaker for your character to actually have this trait? Since it is supernatural by default, is it really a stretch that any crippling injuries are somehow cosmetic?

"I don't get it, we gouged out its eyes. Why does it act like it can still see?"
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #46
SimonAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
In Martial Arts there are a significant number of Styles that list HPT as an optional Trait. My interpretation of the rules is that if you have such a style you can learn HPT after chargen. I'm guessing you get beat up so often in training that you get desensitized to pain.
Ah yes. I forgot about that. Good point..

Please don't rip up my GURPS Card while I've played and run the game since Man to Man I mostly play without the options, often just GURPS Lite Plus.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #47
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post
Ah yes. I forgot about that. Good point..

Please don't rip up my GURPS Card while I've played and run the game since Man to Man I mostly play without the options, often just GURPS Lite Plus.
It was a small and technical note only. Before MA I might have been ambiguous about the possibility in any realistic campaign. It was defintely possible in wuxia though.

Tags
advantage of the week, high pain threshold, supernatural durability