Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #21
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Storing power

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Like I said, impressed.
I might put up something on my blog about RPM spirits. It's an interesting thought.

Quote:
Are you the guy who is (what an outsider might think of as) a shaman in real life or is that someone else?
I've been around a lot of that stuff. Went searching for Truth in my youth after my grandfather died and didn't find anything but a journey.

(I'm of native descent if that's what you're asking. My grandfather was a storyteller and native - knew a lot of the old stories. I memorized or wrote them down as much as possible. I talk about it on the forums sometimes.)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 08-16-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:13 PM   #22
Refplace

Quote:
Thaumatology touched on it repeatedly, but that book could be five times as long and not cover everything it brought up in enough detail. I think we've all had the conversation about the name GURPS:MAGIC being put on the wrong book.
Agreed, I really wish GURPS Magic had a different name to make it easy on newcomers to realize there are many magic possibilities in GURPS. However its pretty much legacy code and would cause too many problems to change it at this point. Thaumatology has inspired several articles and books looking at various sections of it. RPM, Totems and Nature Spirits, and maybe Divine Favor for books, plus as I said several Pyramid articles.

Quote:
Also, the problems with the points cost of spirit traits seems to make them tricky to use as allies etc.. Come to think of it, you could probably take most of the powers in the game and give them a coat of shamanistic flavour by having them with a granted by restriction tied to a reaction roll or something. Still, could do to have some rules pulled together for those of us to system-dim to build them ourselves.
I'm not in favor of Spirits as Allies in most settings and less so for building shaman. Not everyone agrees with me though and they have options too, the beauty of GURPS!
GURPS Powers Totem and Nature Spirits expands on a few bits in Thaumatology describing just that. I did not promote it as a complete powers as magic system but I think its a good start. Describing and setting up rules for Totems was certainly a useful start though.
Powers has the Spirit PM and the Requires Reaction roll modifier for building a spirit PM a different way, as described in Totems and Nature Spirits.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:22 AM   #23
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I've been around a lot of that stuff. Went searching for Truth in my youth after my grandfather died and didn't find anything but a journey.

(I'm of native descent if that's what you're asking. My grandfather was a storyteller and native - knew a lot of the old stories. I memorized or wrote them down as much as possible. I talk about it on the forums sometimes.)
I thought we had a Native American clergyman on the site - possibly a Navajo Blessingway Elder or something - but I wasn't sure, and didn't know if they like being called shamen.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm