Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [Powers] How fast is Reflexive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
They aren't being treated differently. In both cases the ability activates a second after being triggered by the totally unexpected stimulus. It's just that you're going to wake up from being struck anyway, if it wasn't immediately incapacitating. I don't much like the idea of the power precognitively anticipating that something is about to happen.
Sorry, but your interpretation seems to disagree with the description. The power use has to be effective against the triggering response for it to make sense.

A second later is a second too late in most circumstances and not much of an enhancement.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I think the debate here isn't about the speed of Reflexive, but whether or not you're aware of the attack.
I was responding to a statement directly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post

The alternative interpretation would seem to be that Reflexive also somehow makes you aware of any and all attacks so that your defense activates. This interpretation might seem to tread on the turf of Danger Sense. (1 point of Reflexive DR makes you aware of all attacks, negating surprise?)
Awareness is irrelevant. Your power switches itself on and wakes you up... If the attack was a silent and invisible one, you won't be aware of why your defense activated, but it's activated just the same. This would have no effect on surprise, as it's all happening instantly.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #23
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Sorry, but your interpretation seems to disagree with the description. The power use has to be effective against the triggering response for it to make sense.

A second later is a second too late in most circumstances and not much of an enhancement.
Most circumstances are not "The character is totally unconscious and unsuspecting".
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #24
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Most circumstances are not "The character is totally unconscious and unsuspecting".
I don't think the Enhancement is designed to close the barn door after the horse has bolted. That's nonsensical.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #25
David Johnston2

Quote:
I don't think the Enhancement is designed to close the barn door after the horse has bolted. That's nonsensical.
I think the Enhancement is designed to let the character instantly respond to a threat the moment he becomes aware of it (and to have Detects react like senses).
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #26
Walrus

Quote:
So, do you insist that DR 1 (Swithcable, Reflexive) [8] includes Danger Sense (Cosmic: No Die Roll required) [60] ?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #27
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
So, do you insist that DR 1 (Swithcable, Reflexive) [8] includes Danger Sense (Cosmic: No Die Roll required) [60] ?
Danger Sense explicitly gives you enough warning that you can take action before the impending danger. DR with switchable and reflexive just turns itself on as an attack hits. The insubstantiality with reflexive build for invulnerability on page 119 of Powers makes it pretty clear that reflexive on a defense works this way. "Reflexive briefly activates Insubstantiality when hit."
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #28
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
I think the Enhancement is designed to let the character instantly respond to a threat the moment he becomes aware of it (and to have Detects react like senses).
And I think the description specifically disagrees with you.

You don't activate your ability, it activates itself.

"It lets your ability switch itself on"

And you certainly don't have to be aware.
"If you’re asleep, successful activation also wakes you up."

It's specifically incompatible with the Active Defense Limitation, it is it's opposite. The whole point of reflexive is that you don't have to be aware.

And, as I said before, in Powers, the book it is introduced in, has exactly 1 example of it's use, as a part of a flicker-type Insubstantiality as Invulnerability.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 07-04-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #29
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Quick (?) question: How fast is Reflexive? Is it fast enough to active a defense it time to block the current/incoming attack, or does it activate after the current attack, thereby offering no protection to the current attack, but protection to the next attack?

For example, someone with DR (Reflexive) turned off is attacked with a sword. Does the DR block the damage from that first sword strike?

Thank you,
Jerander.
Situation A:
I pay +40% for Reflexive instead of +20% for Reduced Time on my Damage Resistance (Switchable). I have it turned off because the cosmetic effects of it being on are inappropriate for the courtroom ball I'm attending. I am attacked. My DR (Reflexive; Switchable) activates after the attack hits me.

I die.
Situation B:
I pay +40% for Reflexive instead of +20% for Reduced Time on my Damage Resistance (Switchable). I have it turned off because the cosmetic effects of it being on are inappropriate for the courtroom ball I'm attending. I am attacked. My DR (Reflexive; Switchable) activates as the attack hits me.

I live.
Situation C:
I don't pay +40% for Reflexive, only +20% for Reduced Time on my Damage Resistance (Switchable). I have it turned off because the cosmetic effects of it being on are inappropriate for the courtroom ball I'm attending. I am attacked. My DR (Reduced Time 1; Switchable) doesn't activate. (Duh!)

I die.
Situation A is equivalent to Situation C, but I paid more points for the same result; I'm still dead. Situation A makes me feel like an idiot. Situation B is the desired result.

Making my players feel like idiots isn't desirable. And, so, thereby ...
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #30
the_matrix_walker

Sorry, I got into discussion and never answered the OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
someone with DR (Reflexive) turned off is attacked with a sword. Does the DR block the damage from that first sword strike?
Yes.

Tags
danger sense, reflexive