Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2021, 07:14 AM   #11
LoneWolf23k

Default Re: [Ultra-Tech] Weapons and Equipment Branding

I think Borderlands' own gun manufacturer brands would be a good model to follow. Make a Brand, give it a list of "stock" modifiers, and then use that as a template to modify the generic weapons.

So, using Borderlands again as an example, let's create a few "brand" modifiers.
Hyperion: their "theme" is creating weapons that start out inaccurate, but get more accurate the more you fire them before having to reload. So a Hyperion gun would start with a big penalty with the first shot, increasing by +1 with each shot, giving you an increasing bonus until the final shot, at which point reloading it would reset the bonus counter.

Jakobs: Only produces Conventional Firearms, with revolver-style barrels, limiting their number of rounds to 6 or seven shots, but their damage output is increased by 1d (So a Jakobs Magnum Pistol would only have six shots, but would deal 5d+1 damage). The Reload time would also be increased by 1, as Jakobs guns are notoriously slow to reload.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I use Smith & Wesson, H&K, Kalishnakov, and Colt for lasers, sonic weapons, and blasters in my space opera setting. ;)
Note that these could easily have nothing to do with early 21st century corporations. "Kalishnikov" is a designer and not any sort of business entity. "Colt" and others is/were both but many haven't been the same business entity over time.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #13
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
To fit the Cyperpunk style, Beretta is most likely a wholly owned subsidiary of a megacorp.
Or Beretta could be the megacorp that owns other weapon brands...

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:12 AM   #14
Tyneras

This is an inspiring thread.

Quasar Laser Weapons

Quasar Laser (pronounced Quasar Laze-ar) brand laser weapons have a reputation for packing a tremendous amount of punch in a tiny, expensive package. Their advertising features the weapon, by itself or held by a celebrity, with their trademarked "Quasar Vapor" rising from the barrel, the background featuring appropriate destruction.

Quasar Lasers are popular with more destructive corp security when they have the budget.

To create a Quasar Laser, multiply magazine weight by 3 and price by 10. Multiply damage and range of the weapon by 1.5 (or +2 per die). Double reloading time and weapon price. Number of shots and RoF remain unchanged.

Quasar Lasers use a unique magazine, with an integrated cooling system. The heat sink uses a solid material that sublimates into the distinct Quasar Vapor when heated, and is expended when the magazine runs dry. Quasar Lasers has a recycling program, accepting undamaged spent magazines for a 75% credit.

The magazines detect when the ablative heat sink is spent, and will refuse to discharge even when fully charged. This can be easily bypassed with an appropriate Armory or other skill roll at no penalty. Without the heat sink, a Quasar Laser has a Malf of 14, dropping by 1 per shot. On a regular failure the entire weapon and magazine fuses, reducing it to useless scrap. On a critical failure, it immediately explodes for 1d-2 per shot remaining.

The exact formulation and processing method for the heat sink material is a closely guarded secret that has not yet been successfully back-engineered by competitors. Supposedly it breaks down into non-toxic compounds, and any claims otherwise are the result of reckless cheapskates using off-brand substitutes in illegally modified weapons.

Quasar Laser Carbine
TL 10, 7d+3(2) burn, 750/2,250, $9,400, shots 28(6)
Magazine: $200, 3lbs
Old 01-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #15
AlexanderHowl

I do think that variations in performance would produce increasing discussions about which weapon to purchase. For example, take the Mk. 33 mentioned earlier, would a +1 Acc and +10% Damage be worth -20% Range and Shots and +20% Weight and Cost?

You could even have a situation where you would roll randomly for the results:

Positive Modifications (roll 1d/2, rounded up, for the number of positive modifications and then roll 1d for every positive modification. Positive modifications can stack):

1. +1 Acc
2. +10% Damage
3. +10% Range
4. +10% Shots
5. -10% Cost
6. -10% Weight

Negative Modifications (roll 1d6 twice per positive modification chosen or roll 1d6 once per positive modification and double the results. Negative modifications can stack):

1. -2 Acc
2. -20% Damage
3. -20% Range
4. -20% Shots
5. +20% Weight
6. +20% Cost
Notes: If a negative modification would overlap a positive modification, instead roll 1d and apply one the following modifications:
1-2: +2 ST
3-4: -2 Bulk
5-6: -2 Malfunction

With the above, you have a table that allows for rapid individualization of weapon brands.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:48 AM   #16
Prince Charon

TL9 Colt '.45 Caseless' 11.43mmCLP

The latest descendant of Colt's famous 1911 pistol, the .45 Caseless bears the classic Colt lines and caliber, with modern caseless ammunition. The weapon is well-known for reliability and accuracy, as well as packing a slightly greater punch than the 10mm/.40 cal ammo found more commonly in Heavy Pistols. While the Colt has fewer shots than similar weapons in the same category, proponents insist that a situation that can't be brought under control by the Colt .45 is one that requires a PDW or heavier, not a few more rounds in a 'weaker' caliber.

(Statwise, start with the Heavy Pistol on Ultra-Tech pp135 & 137. Damage is 3d+1 pi+, Acc is 3, Shots are 16+1(3), and Cost is $670. Recoil is slightly greater, but the difference is too small for GURPS's level of resolution.)

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 02-17-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:08 PM   #17
Prince Charon

TL10 Beretta 1500 series

The 1500 series is the venerable (and still family-owned) arms company's entry into the new Gauss weapons market, consisting of the 1500 (a pistol in 4mm), the 1510 (a machine pistol, also 4mm), the 1520 (a needler in 3mm), and the compact 1530 (a 3mm minineedler). They are among the most well-regarded small Gauss weapons on the market, already having a reputation for accuracy and reliability.

(Based on the Gauss weapons from Ultra-Tech pp141-142. Treat them as fine (reliable) versions of the listed weapons, at double the cost, and increase Acc by +1 for the 1500 and 1510 - so, Acc 4 in both cases.)

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #18
Sorenant

As a life-long fan of the Armored Core series, I really enjoy "brands" with different characteristics. Unfortunately most of my games were fantasy so I never had an opportunity to use it. However, I have some ideas:

-Ace Combat 3's General Resources and Neucom gives an idea on how to have two megacorps with very distinct characteristic. The former is conventional and provides equipment you'd see in the real world like normal gas-propelled firearms. Meanwhile the latter provides sci-fi technology, like high-powered laser.

-Brands based on fantasy races:
--Lefey (Elves) is a commercial subsidiary of a learned society of mages (or plain inventors/scientists/engineers) meant to rise funds for their research. It's akin to haute couture: No mass production, only high quality custom built firearms with cutting-edge technology and fashionable appearance for the most discerning clientele.
--Dvergr Works (Dwarves) are not as luxurious as Lefey but share their pride in their workmanship. They deal in large volume of no-nonsense firearms that while not possessing any special feature or design are reliable to a fault. One could dust off a Dvergr firearm found in a derelict mine and it would work flawlessly.
--Ogre Armaments (Orcs) worships stopping power, their guns are not refined as the two above but they pack unparalleled punch. Their lineup makes Deagle look like a holdout pistol and as long as you can deal with its wrist breaking recoil, poor accuracy and malfunctions there's very little it can't kill or at least incapacitate with a hit.

-A small brands with questionable products (think Kickstarter). They'd sell weird and niche gadgets like mini gas grenades that releases calming pheromones and alerts the local law enforcement, marketed as the perfect self-defense weapon for untrained person. It's basically a label to let players play around with combined gadgets.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ultra-tech