Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
Ezra

Default [Skills] Psychiatric Treatment

What skills would govern psychiatric treatment with or without drugs in a high or ultra-tech setting? Physician (B213)? Psychology (B216)? The description of Psychology says it's applied, which doesn't seem to indicate clinical knowledge.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: [Skills] Psychiatric Treatment

Physician (Psychiatric) is a mandatory specialty of Physician introduced in Horror (p. 29), it defaults to Physician (General) at -4 and Psychology (Clinical) at -5. Psychology (Clinical) is a mandatory specialty of Psychology also introduced in Horror, it defaults to Psychology (Applied) or Psychology (Experimental) at -5 and Physician (Psychiatric) at -5.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
Ezra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Physician (Psychiatric) is a mandatory specialty of Physician introduced in Horror (p. 29), it defaults to Physician (General) at -4 and Psychology (Clinical) at -5. Psychology (Clinical) is a mandatory specialty of Psychology also introduced in Horror, it defaults to Psychology (Applied) or Psychology (Experimental) at -5 and Physician (Psychiatric) at -5.
Aha! I should have checked Horror. Thank you, Alexander!
Old 09-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

You are welcome.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:56 AM   #5
Anders

Pharmacy (Synthetic) would probably be involved as well. In a dystopian future Surgery would be an option.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Pharmacy (Synthetic) would probably be involved as well. In a dystopian future Surgery would be an option.
I would think Diagnosis (w/possible specialization) first but Physician(Psychiatric) probably covers _prescribing_ the right drugs. Pharmacy(Synthetic) would probably be more about making the drugs. A real expert might have some points in it and Physiology(w/possuiible specialization) anyway.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
AlexanderHowl

Plenty of herbal ingredients have positive psychological effects when proscribed properly, so Pharmacy (Herbal) would also apply. Many Esoteric Medicine traditions also focus on psychological ailments, so they may actually be useful substitutes for Physician (Psychiatric) when it comes to prescribing medicines through Pharmacy (Herbal), and may actually be adequate substitutes for Psychology (Clinical) when it comes to therapy. In general, I would allow Physician (Psychiatric) to default to Esoteric Medicine at -4 when it comes to herbal treatments and Psychology (Clinical) at -4 when it comes to therapy.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I would think Diagnosis (w/possible specialization) first but Physician(Psychiatric) probably covers _prescribing_ the right drugs. Pharmacy(Synthetic) would probably be more about making the drugs. A real expert might have some points in it and Physiology(w/possuiible specialization) anyway.
Yeah doctors and psychiatrist can prescribe but its based off recommendations but pharmacists do a better job of knowing what the interactions between various drugs are. Also might be more current on side effects and other fun facts.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #9
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
but pharmacists do a better job of knowing what the interactions between various drugs are.
But Pharmacy skill is not the professional skill of being a pharmacist; it's the skill of knowing how to make and administer drugs. Physician skill is the skill you use to prescribe drugs, and part of that is knowing their effects and interactions.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:22 AM   #10
cptbutton

Now I am drifting off into what skills Ariane Emory has. (Yes, I know it should just be "Professional Skill (Psychset Designer)".)

(From the novel "Cyteen" about the woman who heads a vast corporation that manufacturers "azi", i.e. brainwashed clone slaves.)

Tags
rule questions, skills