Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2015, 05:33 AM   #31
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: I think I figured out how to build Supernatural Durability out of spare parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
With SD, you can go however low you like, and stay alive. With Unkillable 2, you eventually die and need to wait to resurrect yourself.
You don't die, you fall unconscious:
Quote:
As Unkillable 1, but you do not die at -10XHP. Once you reach -10XHP, you are reduced to an indestructible skeleton and automatically fall unconscious. You sustain no further damage from any attack.
I put in two modifiers:

1. Cosmic: Not forced to fall unconscious at -10XHP, +50%;
With this you just roll HT-10 every turn at -10XHP, or roll nothing if you also have Immunity to Unconsciousness.

2. Injury not capped at -(HPx10) -??%;
With this there is no damage cap.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 AM   #32
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: I think I figured out how to build Supernatural Durability out of spare parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post

I put in two modifiers:

1. Cosmic: Not forced to fall unconscious at -10XHP, +50%;
With this you just roll HT-10 every turn at -10XHP, or roll nothing if you also have Immunity to Unconsciousness.

2. Injury not capped at -(HPx10) -??%;
With this there is no damage cap.
The unconsciousness wording 'smells' very strongly of a simplification made in order to avoid long definitions. This is indeed more obvious once you compare to Unkillable 3, which does allow complete bodily destruction and replacement. The weird unconsciousness clause is the only thing keeping the trait in check, just like the vulnerable exception (massive damage or specific substance) is the only thing keeping SD in check.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #33
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
The unconsciousness wording 'smells' very strongly of a simplification made in order to avoid long definitions. This is indeed more obvious once you compare to Unkillable 3, which does allow complete bodily destruction and replacement.
You want to compare with Unkillable 3?

Quote:
As Unkillable 2, except that at -10XHP, you become a ghost, an energy pattern, or some other incorporeal form that cannot be contained or damaged through normal means. At this stage, you fall unconscious and heal normally.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:03 AM   #34
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
You want to compare with Unkillable 3?
'Become a ghost that cannot be interacted with and cannot interact with anything' seems like a very roundabout way of saying 'dead, but you do not need to make a new character'.

If you think this is just unconsciousness, not bodily destruction, then you can wreak havoc with an always-on AE 50-point ability . . .
Old 08-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #35
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
If you think this is just unconsciousness, not bodily destruction, then you can wreak havoc with an always-on AE 50-point ability . . .
????? 65 points for unkillable 2, 90 points for unkillable 3.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #36
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
????? 65 points for unkillable 2, 90 points for unkillable 3.
I was hinting on the idea of adding the M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. attack in an always-on form on top of Unkillable. Point being, if it is mere unconsciousness, then you can become invulnerable while still wrecking the area around you. Feels like a bug, not a feature.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #37
Bruno

Quote:
Point being, if it is mere unconsciousness, then you can become invulnerable while still wrecking the area around you. Feels like a bug, not a feature.
Considering that Unkillable 3 specifies that the GM removes you from that location to another one, I don't see it as being very helpful, productive, or even entertaining.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #38
David Johnston2

Quote:
p.
Death is the reason why you are unconscious.

It's a matter of semantics of course. You may have been reduced to a skeleton or a heart, but you are not "dead" because "dead" is permanent. Any "death" you can come back from isn't really "death" even if you must be lying face up in the light of the moon to come back.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #39
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Death is the reason why you are unconscious.

It's a matter of semantics of course. You may have been reduced to a skeleton or a heart, but you are not "dead" because "dead" is permanent. Any "death" you can come back from isn't really "death" even if you must be lying face up in the light of the moon to come back.
I don't understand this argument. If there's resurrection magic in the campaign, there is no death because you might resurrect?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #40
Anthony

Mechanically speaking, the correct way to do supernatural durability is probably to just to make the character invulnerable to attacks doing less than HPx10, and then apply limitations for "still sort of vulnerable".

Tags
immunity to subdual, supernatural durability, under the hood