Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Supernatural Durability With No Weakness

Is it acceptable to use Cosmic +50% to remove the "weakness" from SD?

It still wouldn't be invulnerability (which is frowned upon RAW), as they can be slowed down with HP damage, and can be killed with a single attack that does 10xHP damage.

I just ask because I've seen uses of Cosmic +50% or more to allow things like IT:Diffuse to protect against area effect damage officially nixed (and rightfully so, it's a quick, cheap way to total invincibility).

But I don't think this application of Cosmic to SD to remove this built-in limitation is even remotely as abusive. Have there ever been any rulings that said "no, shouldn't be allowed" to this?

Just to clarify, I'm the GM, and yes, I know I can do anything I want but I generally prefer to play by the RAW, making only minor deviations from it where appropriate.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: Supernatural Durability With No Weakness

This is just Unkillable 2 ;)
Old 04-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Tyneras

There are some significant differences between Unkillable and Supernatural Durability. An Unkillable character can be "taken out" by many 1 HP attacks, that will do nothing but annoy the SD character. SD also has a built in resistance to crippling and Immunity to Pain.

The Achilles Heel limitation on Unkillable is -30% for an Occasional substance, so I think +50% should be a reasonable enhancement to remove an Occasional weakness (enhancements always cost more than equivalent limitations).

Edit: How powerful this enhancement is would vary significantly by the technology available. If I have 10 HP and SD (no weakness), then it takes a single hit of 100 HP to kill me. At TL 3, that means I'm almost invulnerable unless you drop a castle on me. At TL 12, 100+ HP of damage comes in the RoF 10+ flavor.

Last edited by Tyneras; 04-10-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
This is just Unkillable 2 ;)
Not true!

Unkillable 2 works such that your body can't be reduced below -10xHP which would destroy it. It makes you physically indestructible even when "dead", and then you get better.

SD is different. With that, only your SD specific weakness (what I'm trying to remove) and taking a single attack that injures you for 10xHP or more can kill you. That is, if you take an 5 attacks in a given round, each one doing 9xHP and you started that round at 0 HP, then you'd still be fighting and wouldn't be dead but you'd be at -45xHP. Think Jason Voorhees. It also gives you total immunity to being knocked out or stunned and a bunch of other things.

Adding SD to Unkillable 2 would be... gruesome. They're certainly not the same thing, or even close.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
David Johnston2

It's probably allowable. But I'm not sure I see the point. Making PC's unstoppable is a bad idea, and it makes little difference whether a bad guy has a vulnerability or not if the characters don't know what it is.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It's probably allowable. But I'm not sure I see the point. Making PC's unstoppable is a bad idea, and it makes little difference whether a bad guy has a vulnerability or not if the characters don't know what it is.
I probably wouldn't let a PC have SD full-stop, but I certainly might consider letting them have a power that gave them SD for each second they spent an FP for it, for instance, or some other limitation so they wouldn't have it all the time and would suffer harmful Backlash as part of the cost of using it.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Tyneras

SD (No weakness) + Berserk (No control, *2.5) = scary.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
pawsplay

Technically, no. Supernatural Durability is a defense, which has a specified effect at the +50% level.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Technically, no. Supernatural Durability is a defense, which has a specified effect at the +50% level.
Are you suggesting that I'd need better than Cosmic +50% to do this, like +100% or even +300%? Or saying not at all?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Are you suggesting that I'd need better than Cosmic +50% to do this, like +100% or even +300%? Or saying not at all?
I'm just saying that no existing application of Cosmic of which I am aware does what you ask.

Spitballing it... Supernatural Durability is basically Unkillable 1 1/2, plus High Pain Threshold, some nice immunities, conditional Injury Tolerance, and the ability to function at very low Hit Point levels. +50% is probably not too cheap for what you're suggesting; it might even too expensive, since the difference between Unkillable 1 and Unkillable 2 is Regrowth plus [10] points. Reverse engineering Achilles' Heel suggests around +43%. However, not all the benefits of Supernatural Durability relate to your weakness in the first place.

So for simplicity's sake, I would just call it No Achilles' Heel (+40%). That's 60 points, cheaper than being Unkillable 2 all over again.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cosmic, supernatural durability, weakness