Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #21
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Running Flight 13 as a 4-hour one-shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
For one-shot horror adventures, you might consider that ordinary people, i.e. not action stars, might work better.
The adventure involves ~300 people in an airplane. it makes sense to have the PCs represent the top 1-2% of adventure-ready people out of that 300. I think 100 points probably works well for that?
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:24 AM   #22
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
The adventure involves ~300 people in an airplane. it makes sense to have the PCs represent the top 1-2% of adventure-ready people out of that 300. I think 100 points probably works well for that?
That's my experience: a well-built 100 point character can be quite exceptional.

BAT packages don't quite result in "well-built" characters, though it lets you build really quickly, so you might need to raise the point total to 125 or 150.

I wouldn't start with the given BAT template. Assign 50 points to attributes for each character, use the advantages and disadvantages on the BAT, drop the skill list, but then back-fill it with the 10 point slush fund. That plus two packages gives you a 115 point character.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #23
Captain Joy

Quote:
You are correct.

The deciding factor should be what tone you want the adventure to have. To play up survival/helplessness aspects, one might prefer lower character point totals. To play up investigative/monster-hunting aspects, one might prefer higher character point totals. How capable the character's are will have a decided impact on the type of "horror" experience the players enjoy.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 06-28-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:55 AM   #24
Dalin

Quote:
I just bought Flight 13, and it looks like exactly the kind of mystery adventure I enjoy running. For various reasons, though, I'm unlikely to have more than about 4 hours to run it.
A bit of thread necromancy here, but I'm curious if this game happened and, if so, how it went. I may be running a Flight 13 one-shot tomorrow for a bunch of teenagers. My sense was that this would be a good one for a sprawling party (potentially 8 players) since there are plenty of opportunities for things to do.

I'm also curious if anyone has any pregens (ideally in GCS) that they'd be willing to share.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:20 PM   #25
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I may be running a Flight 13 one-shot tomorrow for a bunch of teenagers. My sense was that this would be a good one for a sprawling party (potentially 8 players) since there are plenty of opportunities for things to do.
The one time I've seen it run, the players deeply objected to the "railroading" at the beginning of the adventure. They also thought that the "pseudo-humans" plot twist was a cop-out.

Reviewing the adventure, it seems downright quaint given all the upgrades to airport security and downgrades to air travel since it was published. It might need some gentle modernizing to appeal to people who weren't alive when 911 happened.

The alternative, assuming you have Gen-Z kids who are aware of "The Twilight Zone," is to recast it as 1950s horror movie (TL7) and play up all the campy old-fashioned technology, like passenger seats with sufficient leg room.

You can save time and overcome any railroading objections by starting the adventure "in media res" with the players waking up on a disabled plane on the airport runway or during the landing approach.

Introduce NPCs and various complications during the plane evacuation (possibly with panic if you add fire) along with an undeniable alien spaceship flyby after the plane has crashed. Eventually, the survivors get tired of milling around on the tarmac wondering why the fire trucks aren't coming and hike to the terminal.

Letting the plane burn (eventually) is a good way to keep the PCs from looting it for useful gear or using it as a base of operations. The lack of first responders, the alien ship flyby and the complete weirdness in the city around them will give them their first clues that Things Are Not Normal.

The pilots are still useless because of injuries. The head flight attendant is a friend of one of the PCs and enlists their aid. Figuring out how to open the emergency door is just as heroic in a cramped, smoke-filled cabin as pulling an aircraft out of a death dive. (House rule: IQ roll to know what to do, at +4 if you read the instruction card and then a ST+4 roll to actually open the door.)

Piloting skill helps PCs shut down engines and fuel pumps and deploy fire extinguishing systems fast, averting a fire (at least for a while) and making it safe to leave the airplane. Navigation (Air) is still useful because it gives the PCs the vital knowledge that normal GPS satellites and landing systems are GONE, and not just off-line due to damage.

For pregens, just use GURPS Action or Monster Hunters and make the PCs a cohesive group that naturally has a reason to stick together, like a team of FBI agents or soldiers and give each "squad member" their own skill set.

Alternately, there's a decent list of useful traits on p. 2 of the adventure. Combine those with the suggested "half-BAT" template above and it's good enough for quick PC generation, especially if you have the players create idealized versions of themselves.

Quick conversion to 4E below (with a few extras) added to flesh out the template:

Useful Advantages:
Code:
Increased Per or Will [5/level]; Acute Vision [2/level]; Clerical Investment [5]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Damage Resistance (Limitation: Tough Skin, -40%) [3/level]; Danger Sense [15]; Empathy or Sensitive [5 or 15]; Fearlessness [2/level]; Fit or Very Fit [5 or 15]; Hard to Kill [2/level]; Hard to Subdue [2/level]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Intuition [15]; Legal Enforcement Powers (Local Cop) [5]; Legal Enforcement Powers (FBI, Sky Marshall, etc.) [10]; Luck [15]; Night Vision [1/level]; Peripheral Vision [15]; Rapid Healing [5]; Status [5/level].

Note: Limited "psi-like powers" to easy to play traits.
Interesting Disadvantages:
Code:
Reduced Will or Per [-5/level]; Addiction (Tobacco) [-5]; Addiction (Illegal Drug) [-10*]; Alcoholism [-15*]; Bad Temper [-10*]; Bad Sight (LImitation: Mitigator, -60%) [-10]; Code of Honor (Professional Ethics) [-5]; Code of Honor (Soldier or Police) [-10]; Cowardice [-15*]; Delusion (Conspiracy Theorist) [-5 or -10]; Greed [-10*]; Honesty [-10*]; Lame (Crippled Leg) [-10]; Lame (Missing Leg) [-20]; Overconfidence [-5*]; 

Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Pacifism (Cannot Kill or Self-Defense Only) [-15]; Paranoia [-10]; Phobia (Rarely Encountered Thing) [-5*]; Phobia (Occasionally Encountered Thing) [-10*]; Sense of Duty (Friend) [-2]; Sense of Duty (Adventuring Companions or Immediate Family) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Country) [-15]; Squeamishness [-10*].

Note: Dropped the Dependent disadvantage which is a hassle to play and GM. Dropped Unluckiness which can seem really unfair to new players. Added some common, easy to play disads.
Skills: In addition to the skills listed in the stripped-down BAD template.
Any 5 skills from:

DX-Based Skills:
Code:
Acrobatics; Escape; Karate or Judo (H) DX [4]. 

Axe/Mace; Broadsword; Climbing; Piloting/TL8 (Aerospace, Heavy Aircraft, Light Aircraft or Low-Performance Spacecraft); Shortsword; Staff; Stealth or Throwing (A) DX+1 [4].

Driving/TL8 (Automobile, Construction Equipment, Heavy Wheeled or Motorcycle); Forced Entry; Guns/TL8 (Shotgun or Rifle) or Knife (E) DX+2 [4].
IQ-Based Skills:

Code:
Biology/TL8 or Physics/TL8 (VH) IQ-1 [4].

Animal Handling (Animal Type); Anthropology; Archeology; Biology/TL8 (Zoology); Detect Lies; Diagnosis; Diplomacy; Expert Skill (Psionics); History (United States); Occultism; Physician/TL8; Psychology; Tactics or Theology (H) IQ [4]. 

Acting; Armoury/TL8 (Small Arms); Electronics Operation/TL8 (Communications); Electronics Repair/TL8 (Communications or Security); Fast-Talk; Interrogation; Leadership; Lockpicking; Mechanic/TL8 (Automobiles); Navigation/TL8 (Air, Land or Space); Public Speaking or Shadowing (A) IQ+1 [4].

Area Knowledge (Normal version of Adventure Setting); Computer Operation/TL8; First Aid/TL8 (Human) or Gesture (E) IQ+2 [4].
HT-Based Skill: Running (A) HT+1 [4].

Per-Based Skills:

Code:
Observation; Survival (Local Environment); Tracking or Urban Survival/TL8 (A) Per+1 [4].

Scrounging (E) Per+2 [4]

Last edited by Pursuivant; 04-21-2024 at 02:20 PM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:47 PM   #26
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I may be running a Flight 13 one-shot tomorrow for a bunch of teenagers. My sense was that this would be a good one for a sprawling party (potentially 8 players) since there are plenty of opportunities for things to do.

I'm also curious if anyone has any pregens (ideally in GCS) that they'd be willing to share.
Pursuivant's advice was great.

I have eleven 50-point "normals" that should work well a PC-in-over-their-heads vibe: http://captainjoy.chunkyboy.com/MD_A.../PreGenPCs.php. Vitality (VT) is my shorthand for ST+HT; these aren't pregens so much as templates that you complete by filling in bubbles.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 04-19-2024 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Add explanation of "pregens".
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 01:38 PM   #27
Dalin

Wow, incredible advice and resources there. Thank you!

We ended up running it for about two hours, and I think everyone had a good time. At first I anticipated eight players, but we only had six, so it was a bit more manageable. The PCs included:
  • Carlos Quintana outdoor recreation enthusiast and professional helicopter pilot with an injured leg
  • Cindi Bankemper high school science teacher and track coach; a bit of a goody-goody nerd
  • Duke Remington unlucky detective from Detroit (based on Duke Duckworth from The Phantom Jungle, by J.C. Connors)
  • Greg Stamour hot paramedic who likes to party
  • Tesha Janusz humorless but kind coach at a youth circus; a skilled acrobat
  • Whiskey Sour middle-aged drag queen with an amazing singing voice and a talent for all things theatrical
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flight 13