Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #11
Gollum

Default Re: Who else is still using Gurps 3ed rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
Personally, I like to find better ways of doing things and don't mind re-doing my players' character sheet when a relevant supplement comes out, but I guess I'm in the minority there. Not even in GURPS the compulsive rules-tinkerer GM is the standard.
I belong to this minority too... Though I have less time to play now than a few years ago. That is why, as you, I find that GURPS 4th edition is the best games. Everything you can dream of, with a much better coherence than ever.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
gmillerd

What i like about 3rd edition is the unified book (ignoring the compendiums, supplements like ma and such, that's not the issue). I really dislike the 4e's two core books with the split indexes and page numberings.

I dislike the 4th ed's multi-column layout, hyphenation, and justification choices. It makes scanning with the eye the page very hard. Especially in leveled attributes descriptions, the damage / affliction pages it seems - where there are a lot of compound words, numbered lists of choices within a paragraph. For whole paragraphs it semes there are one or two words per line at times.

A unified book would be great.

But most of all I miss the simplicity of the 3rd edition 'instant characters' sheet, 4th edition has a lot of tooling in it.

* most of the above is for people learning gurps in 4th edition or are switching from 3rd to 4th.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerd View Post
But most of all I miss the simplicity of the 3rd edition 'instant characters' sheet, 4th edition has a lot of tooling in it.
There is something very similar in the booklet sold with the GM screen of the fourth edition. It allows to create characters easily, almost without the Basic Set... As long as you know the rules, of course (exactly like the Instant Characters of the third edition).
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
What i like about 3rd edition is the unified book (ignoring the compendiums, supplements like ma and such, that's not the issue). I really dislike the 4e's two core books with the split indexes and page numberings.
I really agree with that. The index of that book was almost a work of art. After some adaptation time I have no problem with the multi-columns and even with the split books, especially since they map nicely on "stuff I rarely have to look up" and "stuff I need for GMing unusual situations". I do miss the index that listed everything you could want, though.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Since the third edition has been translated in French, and not the fourth one, some French players also play with the third edition.

(. . .) Having said that, GURPS is quite rare in France... What a pity.
In Spain I've seen something similar to what you are describing here.

Quote:
A unified book would be great.
Agreed. Who knows, maybe when a 4e Revised Basic Set hits the stores (No real hopes, but . . .)

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Since the third edition has been translated in French, and not the fourth one, some French players also play with the third edition.
Je suis American, mais, peut-etre parce'que je parle francais, je joue de Troisieme Edition.

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com

Last edited by Phaelen Bleux; 12-31-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: added "rd"
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #17
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
In Spain I've seen something similar to what you are describing here.
I think it's the same everywhere except for Brazil. The German 3rd Edition was riddled with stupid translations, but it was still better than most D&D translations you got at the time. And it worked quite well despite some hilarious mistakes. They learned a bit from their mistakes after Basic, though.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #18
demonsbane

Yeah, it sounds familiar :)

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #19
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Im not alone!

Any questions ?
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #20
The Sundered Sky

Well, due to the lack of/death of roleplaying in this area(the few people who might do it are sucked into Warcraft) I don't play either, and haven't gamed in at least two years.

I started with 4th, and have several books. Well, several 3rd Ed books as well. I think 4th is likely superior in several ways, especially flexibility...but it seems more intimidating than 3rd. When I read some of the 3rd Ed supplements, it seems easier to design some characters...that the learning curve for 4th might be higher. When I see people build characters on this site, they often use things I wouldn't have thought of, and sometimes it seems very abstract(but effective).

I've been collecting GURPS stuff for 4 years, maybe 3. I'll chalk up the difficulty with 4th Ed to obvious lack of practical usage.

Tags
gurps 3e basic set, gurps 4e