Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Low-Tech Armour Loadouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
No layering penalty for helmets and I'd waive the penalty for neck armour too.
Neck armor (layered or not) is prone to restricting head motion, but there aren't very many DX-based tasks involving the head and neck anyway; the major effect would tend to behave like No Peripheral Vision.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #12
ArmoredSaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
The main weak point I think could possibly do with up-armouring is the abdomen, since DR 4 could well end up getting carved open with a sword or stuck through with a spear
Add a Light Mail skirt underneath; it seems to have been commonly done...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
Lancewholelot

Here's typical late medieval field plate base on Dan Howard's pre-Low-Tech suggestions: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...86&postcount=8

Field Plate Armor
DR 7 Steel Bascinet with Visor Wt. 7.5 $937.5
+1 DR Helmet Padding Wt. 1.5 $12.50
DR 6 Segmented Plate Gorget Wt. 2 $75
DR 7 Breastplate Wt. 9 $1,125
DR 6 Back Plate Wt. 7.5 $937.5
DR 6 Segmented Plate Fauld and Tasset Wt. 10 $375
Arming Doublet Wt. 3 $160
DR 6 Plate Arms (Pauldron, Rerebrace, Couter, and Vambrace) Wt. 10 $1,250
DR 4 Segmented Plate Gauntlets Wt. 2.4 $90
DR 6 Plate Legs (Cuisse, Poleyn, and Greave) Wt. 20 $2,500
DR 4 Segmented Plate Sollerets Wt. 2.4 $90
75.3 lbs $7,552.5

Add a cod piece if fighting on foot!

For simplicity's sake in my own game, I'll likely combine all the torso armor into a single DR 7 piece (Wt. 24, $3000) and trust to the chinks and gaps rules to represent the incomplete protection, assuming a light mail skirt as part of the arming coat.

PS
By "typical field plate" I do not mean historically. I mean for my campaign (which started based on GURPS 3ed). I'll likely add some tailoring to the gauntlets and sollerets to bring the weight down as this loadout is still slightly over most historic examples I've read of.

Last edited by Lancewholelot; 10-22-2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: clarity
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #14
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Most armour has padding included because it is not heavy enough to give additional DR. Helmet padding has Dr 1 and so is treated separately. None of the helmet stats include padding, but padding stats should be listed in the description of each helmet. No layering penalty for helmets and I'd waive the penalty for neck armour too.
If you stack a helmet on top of a mail coif, you only need to pad the coif, right?

I presume that you can take coif padding under a smaller helmet to get DR 1* on your neck and that this would actualy be fairly common for medieval troops.

Some historical helmets were worn without padding, weren't they? I seem to recall tight fitting steel skullcaps being worn under hats and wigs. Would there be any penalty for that?

I assume that you can make leather and fabric 'helmets' to represent exceptionally sturdy hats and other protective headgear and that most of them wouldn't require padding.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #15
DanHoward

Low-Tech doesn't care. You can have a helmet without padding if you want.
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:59 AM   #16
Bruno

Well, it does care - as you don't get teh +1* DR from the padding. That's a pretty good penalty right there.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:10 AM   #17
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Neck armor (layered or not) is prone to restricting head motion, but there aren't very many DX-based tasks involving the head and neck anyway; the major effect would tend to behave like No Peripheral Vision.
Head Butt comes to mind, but that's about it. And you really want to be able to do this if going corps-á-corps with your greatsword against another knight...of course he'd also be weaping a greathelm, so maybe not. ;)
Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Head Butt comes to mind, but that's about it. And you really want to be able to do this if going corps-á-corps with your greatsword against another knight...of course he'd also be weaping a greathelm, so maybe not. ;)
El KaBONG!! It would be funny to watch, but suggest we need blunt force trauma for even rigid armors under certain circumstances.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #19
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Here's a loadout which isn't historically accurate at all...

Fantasy Female Fighter

Armoured Corset and Miniskirt - covers abdomen with reinforced light layered leather (DR 2*/3* vs. cut). $37.50, 4.7 lbs.
Busty Breast Plate - covers front of chest with light plate (DR 3). $375.00, 3 lbs.
Collar and Pauldrons - covers neck with medium hardened leather (DR 2) and shoulders (with medium segmented plate (DR 4). $96.25, 3.2 lbs
Arm Banding - covers one upper arm, elbow and forearm with light segmented plate (DR 3). $120.00, 3.2 lbs.
Bracer - covers one forearm with medium hardened leather (DR 2). $15.63, 1.9 lbs.
High Boots - covers knees, shins and feet with light layered leather (DR 2*). $78.00, 9.8 lbs.
Knee Guard - covers one knee with light segmented plate (DR 3). $15.00, 0.4 lbs.
Armoured Tiara - covers front of skull with light plate (DR 3). $100, 0.8 lbs.

TOTAL: $837.38, 27 lbs.

This is a fairly restrained version of the kind of armour seen on women in fantasy art. It doesn't have a plunging neckline or exposed midrift, although it does show quite a bit of skin, with the thighs, half an arm, the upper back and the face exposed to the elements. In keeping with genre conventions, it's asymetrical and features a lot of different kinds of armour, probably held together by a bewildering assortment of straps.

I'd actually consider this to be moderately good armour for a lightly equipped fantasy adventurer. It offers significant protection against small to medium animals (who typically do around 1d-2 cutting), gives some chance of surviving a dagger or spear thrust, concentrates protection on the most important areas (the front torso, weapon arm and front skull) and fits in a reasonable budget and weight allowance.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #20
Gurps Fan

Tōseigusoku, Sengoku-Period Samurai Armor (Late 16th Century, TL4)

$3,439.8125, 40.7075 lbs. (I couldn't find how I should round up or down a fractional cost and weight.)

In the Sengoku (Warring States) period, the emergence of black powder weapons and organized mass combat drove samurai to invent the tōseigusoku (lit. "modern armor" -- this type of armor was "modern" from the viewpoint of people at that time) like this. Unlike the earlier-era ōyoroi, it utilized a lot of plates instead of scales. Most notable was , composed of two relatively simple armor plates (front and back) hinged each other, which rapidly replaced the older dōmaru. It was lighter and easier to make than ōyoroi. Below is an example of full suit of tōseigusoku for fairly rich samurai. In fact, "tōseigusoku" is the catch-all term for sengoku- or later-period samurai armor, so there were many other types of construction in reality.

Components

Kabuto (helmet): Medium plate bascinet and cloth padding. Protects skull from all directions and face from the back. DR 7, $637.5, 6.5 lbs. (Often ornamented with one or more tatemono, or crests and plumes.)

Mempō (face guard): Visor with perforations. Combined with the helmet, it protects face from the front. DR 6, $156.25, 1.25 lbs.

Shikoro (back neck guard): Medium segmented plate lobsterback. Attached on the helmet. Protects neck from the back. DR 4, $27, 0.72 lbs.

Nodowa (front neck guard): Medium scale gorget for front half. Attached on the body armor. Protects neck from the front. DR 4 (-1 vs. cr), $13.75, 0.7 lbs.

Dō (body armor): Medium plate the on front and light plate on the back. Protects chest. DR 6/3 on front/back, $1312.5, 10.5 lbs.

Kusazuri (lower body armor): Light segmented plate. Protects abdomen. DR 3, $150, 4 lbs.

Tōseisode (upper arm guards): Light segmented plate. Protects shoulders, upper arms, and elbows. DR 3, $150, 4 lbs.

Kote (forearm guards): Light plate. Protects forearms. DR 3, $250, 2 lbs.

Tekkō (hand guards): Light segmented plate. Protects hands. DR 3, $60, 1.6 lbs.

Haidate (thigh guards): Light segmented plate. Protects thighs and knees from the front. DR 3, $150, 4 lbs.

Suneate (shin guards): Light plate. Protects shins. DR 3, $500, 4 lbs.

Kōgake (topside foot guards): Medium hardened leather, splinted. Protects feet from the topside. DR 2 (+1 vs. cut), $7.8125, 0.9375 lbs.

Waraji (sandals): Sandals. Protects feet from the underside. DR 1, $25, 0.5 lb.

I'm not a trained historian, so I can't guarantee that the stats above are historically correct.

Last edited by Gurps Fan; 10-22-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, dungeon fantasy, loadouts, low-tech