Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
Godogma

Default Fencing and Swords

The Schiavona (a broadsword with a basket hilt much like those shown on many types of rapiers) was a broadsword used in Italian fencing - I'm wondering how to work it into a character and how best to represent fencing with the weapon. I believe there's a perk to allow one to fence with other weapons than those with the fencing type (although I can't recall where) but as I'm interested in using one in an upcoming game I was wondering how you'd suggest working it best in game terms - or the simplest way :P
Godogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
Azinctus

Default Re: Fencing and Swords

The Perk is Weapon Adaptation. Take Weapon Adaptation (broadsword for rapier) [1]. And you're done.

There was some discussion of this subject in this thread.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
Dangerious P. Cats

I recently ordered a Schiavona made, they are beautiful swords and the basket design is one of the strongest I've encountered. Why the design didn't really spread beyond the mediteranian is beyond me.

In terms of preformance they are the same as a backsword and would be wielded with the same skill (broadsword I believe). You could make use it with sabre skill and weapon adaptation, which I think gives a fencing parry when you use it.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Godogma

From what I understand they actually spread from Serbia (the area known as Dalmatia) as some areas of the country accepted Venetian Republic. The doge's guard (who were Slavs known as the Schiavoni) is actually where the name for the sword came from...

According to the wikipidia it seems similar hilts were also found in Hungary and Greece so it probably spread a lot further than you think and is merely most famous in Italy.

I've always wanted a good schiavona, cold steel made an excellent replica which I've actually held in my hands - it had excellent balance and what I'd consider a very good weight and felt very useful. Unfortunately they no longer make it and I didn't have the money to purchase one that day.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Dangerious P. Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godogma View Post
From what I understand they actually spread from Serbia (the area known as Dalmatia) as some areas of the country accepted Venetian Republic. The doge's guard (who were Slavs known as the Schiavoni) is actually where the name for the sword came from...

According to the wikipidia it seems similar hilts were also found in Hungary and Greece so it probably spread a lot further than you think and is merely most famous in Italy.

I've always wanted a good schiavona, cold steel made an excellent replica which I've actually held in my hands - it had excellent balance and what I'd consider a very good weight and felt very useful. Unfortunately they no longer make it and I didn't have the money to purchase one that day.
Darkwood armoury make some loverly Schiavonas if that helps.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
DreadPirateLynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats View Post
Darkwood armoury make some loverly Schiavonas if that helps.
Interesting site. I can't find anything on the site that says whether their products are usable weapons or simply replicas though. There's no way I could justify spending over $600 on a weapon I couldn't use in the upcoming zombie apocalypse...
DreadPirateLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Dangerious P. Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateLynx View Post
Interesting site. I can't find anything on the site that says whether their products are usable weapons or simply replicas though. There's no way I could justify spending over $600 on a weapon I couldn't use in the upcoming zombie apocalypse...
They're fencing swords. Sturdy yet agile, but blunt since you don't want to hurt your training partners (after all you'll need them when the zombies come ;)). You could enquire if they do cutting swords but I don't think they do.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateLynx View Post
I haven't seen anything on their schiavona specifically, but myArmoury.com reviews show a generally positive opinion of Darkwood's swords as functional for historical fencing.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
Godogma

Windlass at one time made a very nice backsword they claimed was a schiavona, however it lacked the back edge... Though I also saw a version of it or someone copied the design they used and added a fuller down the middle and put in the rear edge.

It was initially sold through Museum Replica's Ltd, and I saw one in Atlanta - I liked it but I didn't like the fact that it was a single edged work.

Thanks for all the names of makers and such, I've pretty much come to the conclusion I'm going to have to custom order one if I want one to match my somewhat exacting specifications (namely I want an actual sword not a training sword if I'm going to be paying over $600 for it much like the earlier person in the thread).

Dangerious, where did you order yours made from?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

And suddenly, all I can hear is this group of troubadours singing "My Schiavona." (They have a Knack for it.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fencing, gurps, low-tech, sword, swords