Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
DanHoward

Default Pectorals

I've started a new thread so as not to derail an earlier, unrelated one.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...=69171&page=11
It is a sample of how the rules for building armour in Low-Tech can be applied to historical examples.

Pectorals
A pectoral is a small chest plate. It is designed to protect the vitals but, depending on its size, it has a chance of protecting the upper chest (area 9) as well. Historically this type of armor usually only covered the front, not the back, and was held in place with straps. Look up the stats for the equivalent torso armor in Low-Tech and consult the following table.

1/6 chance.....5%
2/6 chance.....9%
3/6 chance.....12%

Example: DR 5 bronze plate armor for the Torso (areas 9-11) costs $8,000 and weighs 16 lbs. A pectoral of the same material that has a 2/6 chance of protecting the upper chest (area 9, front only) costs 9% of this or $720, 1.44 lbs. An equivalent plate made of iron would only cost $180.

Last edited by DanHoward; 09-25-2010 at 05:13 AM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
Stripe

Default Re: Pectorals

Awesome. Like everyone else, I can't wait for Low Tech to come out, and this post made it even worse. Love this system of armor construction.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Example: DR 5 bronze plate armor for the Torso (areas 9-11) costs $8,000 and weighs 16 lbs. A pectoral of the same material that has a 2/6 chance of protecting the upper chest (area 9, front only) costs 9% of this or $720, 1.44 lbs. An equivalent plate made of iron would only cost $180.
So -1 to hit the upper chest and avoid the plate?
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
So -1 to hit the upper chest and avoid the plate?
$180 and 1,5 lbs for -1 to hit the body and protected vitals seems a good exchange for a medieval warrior
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
$180 and 1,5 lbs for -1 to hit the body and protected vitals seems a good exchange for a medieval warrior
Doesn't so much protect the vitals as make them -4 to hit on a frontal attack, with the normal -3 to hit the vitals hitting the pectoral DR.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Doesn't so much protect the vitals as make them -4 to hit on a frontal attack, with the normal -3 to hit the vitals hitting the pectoral DR.
Wrong, they are made to protect the vitals, so, the vitals are the protected area, if you aiming at the vitals you're aiming at the pectoral.

To illustrate better, let's say a guy is behind a wall, head, arms and half torso exposed, you have -2 for hitting the torso because half of the torso is covered, but if you wan't to hit his groin, the DR of the wall always counts, since all the groin is covered, what isn't covered is the chest and half abdomen.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Edges

FWIW, for my Swords and Sandals campaign last year I used pectorals with the following house rule:

"Changes targeted attack to vitals from –3 to –5 for front attacks only. Attack roll failure by 1 or 2 hits the armor (possibly penetrating). Attack roll failure by 3 hits the torso."
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
DanHoward

Penalty to deliberately target the upper chest (area 9) with a random chance of hitting the pectoral has a penalty of -1.
If you want to avoid the pectoral then penalty needs to be higher, perhaps -1 per chance. So 2/6 chance gives total of -3 penalty.
I would not permit the vitals to be targeted from the front without the attacker contending with the DR of the plate unless you apply the "chinks in armour" rule and have a -8 penalty (half DR).
Old 09-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
I would not permit the vitals to be targeted from the front without the attacker contending with the DR of the plate unless you apply the "chinks in armour" rule and have a -8 penalty (half DR).
I thought of that. And I'll defer to your expertise. I used the house rule I did because my source, Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome (Adkins 1994), said the pectorale was an 8 in. square. That struck me as pretty easy to stab around. My rule basically amounted to a -2 making it as hard to stab around the square as strike the neck or face.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
I thought of that. And I'll defer to your expertise. I used the house rule I did because my source, Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome (Adkins 1994), said the pectorale was an 8 in. square. That struck me as pretty easy to stab around. My rule basically amounted to a -2 making it as hard to stab around the square as strike the neck or face.
Pectorals are of all different sizes. Some are easier to stab around than others.

Tags
armor, low-tech