Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #31
SuedodeuS

Default Re: What is the new Low Tech like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
How much to have the manuscript.... illuminated...? *eyebrow waggle*
I strongly suspect you aren't cleared for that.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #32
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't believe it. The careful descriptions indicated that there was a solid ceramic partition in between the two different metals. You don't make a battery with a layer of insulator separating the anode and cathode.
It is also completely sealed. I'm not sure how people think they were going to get the electricity OUT of it. All of the modern reconstructions require modifications to the original in order to get it to function as a battery. We can't be certain that it was a scroll container but it definitely wasn't a battery.

Last edited by DanHoward; 05-11-2010 at 10:48 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:05 AM   #33
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
The so-called Bagdad battery definitely won't be in Low Tech. The technology might belong in a book about Fantasy or Speculative tech but the original object definitely was not used to generate electricity.

I hope that there is one day a PDF about speculative tech.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #34
DanHoward

LT attempted to squash other myths also, such as ancient harnesses choking the horse, stirrups being responsible for the development of heavy cavalry, and the longbow being invented by the Welsh.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #35
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
I hope that there is one day a PDF about speculative tech.
You're not the only one who hopes that . . .

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #36
Tzeentch

Quote:
LT attempted to squash other myths also, such as ancient harnesses choking the horse, stirrups being responsible for the development of heavy cavalry, and the longbow being invented by the Welsh.
-- Oh god yes. So many books on the subject of ancient technology seem to use sources that don't date past 1984 :) Hell I just read a book that claimed the Romans didn't know about the cogwheel!
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #37
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
You're not the only one who hopes that . . .
I'm sure anyone involved in writing or playtesting LT could come up with a long list of suggestions for what might go into such a book.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #38
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't believe it. The careful descriptions indicated that there was a solid ceramic partition in between the two different metals. You don't make a battery with a layer of insulator separating the anode and cathode.
Actually you do. Remember the flow you are not insulating against isn't electrons, electrons flow one way in the external circuit, ions flow the other between the two electrolytes. Most of the cells used in electrochemistry have a ceramic frit that separates the two solutions, which you need to keep from mixing freely, but allows some cation flow. The kitchen experiment typically usually uses entirely separate containers connected by something like a cloth dampened in the electrolyte.

Though I do think that the fact they look just like things which are undeniably scroll cases except they've been put into pots does pretty well clinches the identification.

The lack of anciliary finds, like say wires, or anything actually electroplated, is a fairly strong indication against batteries too.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #39
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Actually you do. Remember the flow you are not insulating against isn't electrons, electrons flow one way in the external circuit, ions flow the other between the two electrolytes. Most of the cells used in electrochemistry have a ceramic frit that separates the two solutions, which you need to keep from mixing freely, but allows some cation flow. The kitchen experiment typically usually uses entirely separate containers connected by something like a cloth dampened in the electrolyte.
But you don't need two solutions in a battery, do you? You put two different metals into an acid, and the different potentials of the metals generate the current flow. There's no reason you have to have two different acids, and I can't imagine that the ancient Babylonians would have done anything as peculiar as putting, say, vinegar on one side and lemon juice on the other.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #40
Grouchy Chris

Quote:
LT attempted to squash other myths also, such as ancient harnesses choking the horse
That this is a myth is news to me. All the sources I have at hand present it as fact. Can you give a citation?
Grouchy Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech