Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
GodBeastX

Default Magery

I'm creating a magic system from scratch and I can't remember the basis for magery's 10/level.

If Magery is a skill cap only, where it gives no bonus to spells/skills, is 5 points / level valid?
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Re: Magery

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
I'm creating a magic system from scratch and I can't remember the basis for magery's 10/level.

If Magery is a skill cap only, where it gives no bonus to spells/skills, is 5 points / level valid?
RPM quantifies Magery as "3 points of energy reserve at 3/level, plus a 1-point perk raising skill cap."

Don't know if that helps, though.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:

<shrug> What's valid? I'm sure Magery wasn't originally set at 10 pts per level based on any Powers-like calculation. That's far older than Powers in any form.

It's simply worked adequately on a trial and error basis when many other original costs in Gurps have been reset (generally lowered like Longevity going from 40pts to 2).
Old 06-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Anders

Quote:

That depends... how common do you want magic to be?

I mean, valid for what purpose? Is it to check the power of PCs? Then we need to know how powerful the magic is.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Magery isn't a metatrait, so it doesn't have an official composition to be broken down. Like almost all Advantages, it has a value that was eyeballed, playtested, and examined with an experienced designers' eye, not determined by some atomic-scale algorithm that SJG has kept secret from us. The Advantage list is the atomic scale.

The Basic 4e Magery is the name for the Talent for magical skills. It's cheap at 10 points / level, since a Talent that affects 13+ skills would normally be 15. RPM's Magery is a different Advantage with the same name. If you're designing a magic system, your Magery might be different from both of these.

Raising the cap allowed to be purchased on a skill is generally just a Perk.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
GodBeastX

Guess I was looking for the "Under The Hood" on magery, but it sounds like there isn't one.

Not sure what the value of a skill cap is per level, but seems like it's a perk.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
Anders

By itself, probably. However, it often comes with what is in effect an Unusual Background - high Magery mages are uncommon, so they cost a lot of points.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

If Magery provides no skill bonuses, no ER, and only functions as part of your skill cap on spells, 5 is fair. That's a leveled Perk with 4/lvl UB attached.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:

I don't understand what you mean by "a skill cap only" Magery is not a skill cap.

Magery's functions beyond the first level are:

Acts as a prerequisite for certain spells Value=0
Acts as a modifier to how many dice you can pack into a missile spell Value=Dependent on whether you have a missile spell. But about two point per level.
Acts as a Talent for spells Value=15.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I don't understand what you mean by "a skill cap only" Magery is not a skill cap.

Magery's functions beyond the first level are:

Acts as a prerequisite for certain spells Value=0
Acts as a modifier to how many dice you can pack into a missile spell Value=Dependent on whether you have a missile spell. But about two point per level.
Acts as a Talent for spells Value=15.
It's part of the skill cap in RPM. OP is talking about creating his own magic system, not the rules of Standard Magic.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magery