Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #21
DanHoward

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Labrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
While that extra weight could certainly increase Min ST (and possibly upset the weapon's balance) would it be sufficient to add +1 damage, considering the granularity of GURPS?
I wouldn't think so, not even on a Danish axe.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #22
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
While that extra weight could certainly increase Min ST (and possibly upset the weapon's balance) would it be sufficient to add +1 damage, considering the granularity of GURPS?
There's no simple canonical principle of weight adding to damage though you do sort of see that with the Gada and Hyperdense rules. You''d need to add 50% weight/2 lbs to an Axe to get a +1 to damage there.

If you look at the Customization rules in MA a backspike, thrusting point, hook or sickle blade only add 0.5 lbs. I doubt even a full axe blade would go over 1 lbs and well short of +2 lbs.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #23
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Double bitted axes might be a D&D-ísm, but an ax with a pick or hook on the back is realistic, right?
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #24
Anders

Not as much a D&D-ism as a DF-ism. They sure were present in early Swedish RPGs - mostly as weapons for (appropriately enough) minotaurs. They were kind of the ultimate badass weapon.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #25
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

David Nicolle includes depictions of Byzantine double-bitted axes in Arms and Armour of the Crusading Era. He outright claims their use by Byzantine forces in the Medieval Warfare Source Book. They may be rare but there seems to be some evidence for their use in a military setting.

I don't have AaAotCE but it could be enlightening if some one wants to bring Nicolle's findings to the forum for discussion.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Axes designed for combat are very thin while wood axes are more wedge-shaped. You couldn't add a second bit to a combat axe without using more metal and thus increasing its weight.
Combat axes don't have a poll? That seems odd, given that the point of having that weight on the opposite side from the blade is to bring the center of gravity back onto the line of the shaft, which would seem at least as valuable for a weapon as for a cutting tool.

I can't see any reason a double headed axe couldn't work. The gigantic ones seen in art are clearly useless, but then they'd be just as useless if you cut one of the blades off. I don't see any *advantage* to it either, but putting another edge on the back side of an already functional combat axe seems pretty harmless as fantasy weapons go.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #27
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Double bitted axes might be a D&D-ísm, but an ax with a pick or hook on the back is realistic, right?
Yup. When you go up against mail and plate armored opponents, throwing a crushing head or spike head onto the back of your saddle axe. Adding a thrusting spike to the head isn't a bad idea either: it gives you more versatility.

Tags
low-tech