Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #1201
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
You are designing the setting of course, so if you want a less beefy Frank, you've got it! So as you can tell, I've got a few areas where how I see the Punisher is different enough for GURPS to notice, but as usual this is your baby so you're free to disregard. ;)

I'm part of the "Punisher is an alternate take on Batman" crowd. I'm not in the dead center where people think "The Punisher should be statted as Batman, but with guns!", but I'm at least in the fringe; Frank is an ex-soldier and was a good soldier by most accounts, and when his family is slaughtered in front of him he becomes an even better soldier, pushing himself to his limits. So I see his ST as more like 13 or 14, but not higher given what you have expressly stated you wish to avoid, even if you're also giving him Striking Strength. The Punisher is not only visible strong unless he disguises it with bulky clothing (and by "disguise" I mean makes it plausible he isn't ripped, not that anyone will assume he's a string bean underneath).

His DX seems just a bit low, and perhaps I am not giving enough credit to things like his Enhanced Dodge but I think he warrants a 14 here. Though he's got plenty of iconic moments where he's not worried about being quick or agile, just bursting into a room to hose down those inside with bullets while counting on his assault plus body armor to protect him (or of course, just not worrying about protection), he goes ninja often enough. In fact the main reason not to give him DX 14 is because you think it gives him too high of defaults: you already bought his Basic Speed up to 7 and many of his skills just wouldn't need as heavy of a point investment or aren't getting ridiculous from being a point higher. Defaulting Easy DX skills to 10+Talent seems very like the Punisher; he isn't universally skilled but he's significantly more competent about such things than the average person.

His IQ may actually be a point too high; I'm not overly concerned about this but since I'm commenting on ST and DX, figured I might as well mention it. Another level in Born Soldier doesn't stretch belief (the Frank Castle/The Punisher very much is a Born Soldier) or perhaps he should have a level in another appropriate talent for where IQ 11 doesn't seem like quite enough. My argument for raising DX works against me here; though Frank doesn't seem quite like an IQ 12 guy (definitely at least IQ 11 though), I don't want his calculated traits or Skill levels dropping, so this would just lower his IQ based defaults a notch and make him less point efficient. Oh and HT seems just right due to the other traits taken alongside it.
All very good points, and I'll take them into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku
Now... does he need to be a Desert Storm veteran?

I believe the Punisher works best as a war veteran, but even with the 2010 date* you could have him being from a more recent conflict. In fact, I think elements from Viet Nam translate more readily to Afghanistan and Iraq (and I to recommend having Frank serve in both conflicts), probably with Frank having already been in the military prior to 9/11, but the period after giving him the bulk of his higher level experience. 2007 or 2008 he comes home and... depending on the specifics, he either rushes into becoming a cop or a least he doesn't wait too long for it. Likewise it doesn't take too long for him to earn the ire of the mob and you already made it clear he didn't wait too long after his family's death to become the Punisher. It lacks "buffer time" but I think it works for Frank to be less far removed from military life.
I went with Desert Storm because it's the conflict I served during (though the war was over before I finished my MOS training), and I see Frank being in the 39-40 age bracket when he starts his vengeance crusade. I see him as about my age (I just turned 44 earlier this month). Others may want him younger, in the 30-ish age bracket, but I tried to think, "what would get him 20 years in the military and make him a war veteran?" Making him a veteran of both Desert Storm and the Iraq/Afghanistan campaigns could work, though.

That said, you've made some good points. I really don't expect him to wait long between getting out and joining the police force. In fact, as a man of action, he may even have started the application process just prior to his retirement party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku
*Separate question; have you considered pushing that forward at all as this thread is still going and at least some characters might work better if this takes place in 2012, 2015 or even guessing for a 2020 date. You weren't going to include Arno Stark, were ya? ;)
Part of the reason I picked 2010 is because it kept me out of the sliding timescale I was starting to drift into. The first posts in '07 were originally set in '07, and some of the 2015 posts were originally set in 2015. I just decided to split the difference with a nice round number, particularly since ... Well, check the Watcher's entry, where I said he was the Earth-616 Watcher who survived the Living Tribunal's reboot of the timeline, and remember that both were recently killed off in the comics.

And no, no plans for Arno Stark. Might give Tony a relative named Arnold or Arnie, though, but he won't be a cyberpunk future Iron Man. ;)

And don't worry about long posts. I'm not a "tl;dr" kind of guy.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 11-23-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #1202
Otaku

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
And don't worry about long posts. I'm not a "tl;dr" kind of guy.
Good thing because I am about to do it again and even I thought this was going to be just a short, simple post when I started. ^^'

Quote:
All very good points, and I'll take them into consideration.
Probably unneeded, but I wanted to response "okay", because I dislike not confirming that I actually read and retained your response. XD

Quote:
I went with Desert Storm because it's the conflict I served during (though the war was over before I finished my MOS training), and I see Frank being in the 39-40 age bracket when he starts his vengeance crusade. I see him as about my age (I just turned 44 earlier this month). Others may want him younger, in the 30-ish age bracket, but I tried to think, "what would get him 20 years in the military and make him a war veteran?" Making him a veteran of both Desert Storm and the Iraq/Afghanistan campaigns could work, though.

That said, you've made some good points. I really don't expect him to wait long between getting out and joining the police force. In fact, as a man of action, he may even have started the application process just prior to his retirement party.
If you really are set on a middle-aged Punisher, the character certainly can work. It also may help justify some aspects of the character. Just be careful he doesn't become too much self-insertion. ;)

Glad you see there is some benefit to having Frank actively involved in the recent Afghanistan and Iraq (and anything else for that matter) conflicts because it really fits the character. Obviously I am not speaking personally (zero military experience), but from the outside looking in, it seems like it would be awfully frustrating (and taxing to one's faith in the system) to go from the "high" of the early days of the post 9/11 conflict and then to present day situation... and if Frank started even further back in Desert Storm, even more so! Also remember that Frank isn't the only Viet Nam vet; I'm not sure how connected he is to other major characters from the Earth-616 timeline that also once served or otherwise were involved with the conflict in Viet Nam. If there are no real links it isn't so bad, but especially if there is you might be boxing yourself in for future characters.

With that, I think it really sets up his frame of mine; he still wants to fight the good fight but even if he would still be fit for more military service, the military is no longer what he thought it was or at least what he thinks it ought to be, so now he's shifting gears to becoming a cop so he can still fight the good fight... only once he does not only does he discover corruption already well established on the force, but standing up for what is right costs him his family. That's when he becomes convinced the system is too far gone so it is time to "do what must be done".

Quote:
Part of the reason I picked 2010 is because it kept me out of the sliding timescale I was starting to drift into. The first posts in '07 were originally set in '07, and some of the 2015 posts were originally set in 2015. I just decided to split the difference with a nice round number, particularly since ... Well, check the Watcher's entry, where I said he was the Earth-616 Watcher who survived the Living Tribunal's reboot of the timeline, and remember that both were recently killed off in the comics.
I am not too worried about where this timeline is considered to officially have "branched off". I mean how long before the current official reboot gets rebooted or else retconned into something that is only a partial reboot? ;)

What I am concerned with it was will make for the best GURPS setting. As such, a "floating" date of "present day, more or less" is fine with me. This is a huge project and when it is done, you can figure out what date works best; after all what if it turns out it is easier to make this all work in the mid-to-late 90s? I mean, no harm replacing the "Dark Age" of comic books with something that contains the few highs but avoids the many, many lows. You might be able to convince non-GURPS players and even regular fans to adopt your canon just by being better than the reality. XP

This might be as simple as expanding your footnotes. For example let us consider The Punisher. You don't have to include a detailed write up for whether this was late 90s, early 2000s, early 2010s or present day. A single general statement could cover it, or if you want to give a little direction, something like
If Year One takes place prior to or shortly after 9/11, Frank likely was already disillusioned with military life or more focused on his family at home, explaining why he remained a civilian instead of getting back in... adding a facet of "I might as well have been over there for all the good it did!" to his rage over their murder. He may even have come to the conclusion if he'd remained a soldier, they would still be alive!*

If Year One takes place a few years after 9/11, Frank will need to have more of his military service before hand. The closer Year One occurs to the present day, the younger you have the option of making Frank Castle, though that only goes so far as the character as presented should have an established, reasonably impressive military career.
Quote:
And no, no plans for Arno Stark. Might give Tony a relative named Arnold or Arnie, though, but he won't be a cyberpunk future Iron Man. ;)
Hmm... that actually gives me an idea. I don't remember the finer points but there is at least one (and I thought more than one) story where we get a teenage Tony Stark for a bit as Iron Man. Some of those might actually work with a revised Arno, including having him go around on message boards as "Iron man 2020**" and eventually hacking into and hijacking some of Tony's armor. If you really wanted an Iron Lad... you could do it.

So... yeah, just some more ideas.

*As their deaths weren't random fallout of mob violence but directly because of Frank becoming and remaining a "clean" cop for the reboot.
**Depending on exactly when this is set, it either "sounded cool" or is Arno's graduation date or is the present year/next year. You know, typical screen name stuff. XD
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #1203
Phantasm

LIBRA

Identity: Known to the authorities.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Unrevealed.
Marital Status: Widower.
Known Relatives: Wife, daughter (names unrevealed, allegedly deceased).
Group Affiliation: Zodiac Cartel; his own organized crime organization.
Base of Operations: Honolulu, Hawaii.
History: The man known as Gustav Brandt claims to have lost his sight, his family, and his home in a fire after retiring from military service in the Far East, though details are sketchy. He claims that he was taken in by a monastery not long after and taught to compensate for his blindness. While he achieved enlightenment of sorts, he left the monastery to relocate to Honolulu, where he became involved with the organized crime syndicate there, eventually becoming its acknowledged leader. His success was noticed by the budding Zodiac Cartel and he was offered a position in its ranks, taking the position of Libra (see Zodiac).

Brandt recently came into conflict with Captain America and his young partner, Bucky, over Brandt's organization's white slavery trade (see Bucky; Captain America). Brandt neither confirmed nor denied that he was aware of his organization's slave trade, instead claiming to be more focused on achieving further enlightenment. Brandt's lieutenant in the organization took the fall, committing suicide after confessing everything. Brandt then vanished from sight, and was later seen surfing.

More recently, Libra was present when the Zodiac attempted to hold the island of Manhattan hostage, using the power of the Zodiac Key wielded by Scorpio to power an impenetrable force field (see Scorpio). Just when the Zodiac appeared to be on the verge of success, half of the cartel leaders, including Libra, who had sensed the scheme's success would result in a disruption of the balance of power in the world, abandoned the scheme, with Scorpio using the Key to teleport the dissenters away.

Libra presumably continues to manage his criminal empire and on his quest for further enlightenment.
Height: 6' 0".
Weight: 195 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Brown.
Uniform: Brown floor-length robe, black blindfold covering the eyes, sandals.
Strength Level: Libra has the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in regular intensive toning exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: Libra claims not to have superhuman powers, just an acknowledgment of what he calls the Balance. He has limited mystical abilities, but does not cast spells in the same manner as sorcerers such as Doctor Strange (see Doctor Strange). He is able to affect the perceptions of others, perceive where to strike to immobilize others, and shift to a place he calls The Place Between Places, enabling him to teleport anywhere in the world at will. His mystic senses are such that he can read the printed page as though his eyes still functioned.
Other Abilities: Libra, despite his physical handicap, is a highly skilled hand to hand combatant who relies on non-visual cues to determine where his opponents are. He is also a skilled surfer.
Limitations: Libra is blind.

650 points
Attributes:
ST 12 [20]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 14 [40].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d+1/2d+2; BL 29 lbs.; HP 12 [0]; Will 13 [10]; Per 13 [10]; FP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 6.75 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 10.
Languages: Cantonese (Accented Spoken/Semi-Literate) [3]; English (Native) (Native Language) [0]; Thai (Accented) [4].
Cultural Familiarities: East Asian [1]; Western [0].
Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Inner Balance 4 [60]; Invisibility (Glamour (Will-5), -5%; Switchable, +10%; Chi, -10%) [38]; Organized Crime Rank 5 [10]; Perfect Balance [15]; Protected Vision [5]; Silence 8 (Glamour (Will-5), -5%; Chi, -10%) [34]; Striking ST +4 (Chi, -10%) [18]; Trained By a Master [30]; Warp (Gyroscopic, +10%; No Strain, +25%; Range Limit: 10,000 miles, -10%; Reliable +10, +50%; Chi, -10%) [165]; Wealth (Filthy Rich) [50].
Perks: Style Familiarity: T'ai Chi Chuan [1].
Disadvantages: Blindness (Mitigator: Daily Meditation, -60%) [-20]; Discipline of Faith (Mysticism) [-10]; Incurious (6) [-10]; Loner (12) [-5]; Overconfidence (9) [-7]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5].
Quirks: Broad-Minded [-1]; Devout Buddhist [-1]; Seeks Knowledge of the Balance For Its Own Sake [-1]; Surfing Is a Form of Meditation [-1]; Tries Not to Take Sides in Disputes [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+1 [4] – 14*; Autohypnosis (H) Will+3 [2] – 16†; Blind Fighting (VH) Per+3 [4] – 16†; Body Sense (H) DX+5 [8] – 18†; Breath Control (H) HT+4 [4] – 18†; Climbing (A) DX+1 [2] – 14*; Immovable Stance (H) DX+6 [1] – 19†‡; Judo (H) DX+2 [12] – 15; Judo Art (H) DX+1 [6] – 14§; Karate (H) DX+2 [12] – 15; Light Walk (H) DX+2 [1] – 15†; Lizard Climb (H) DX+2 [1] – 15†; Meditation (H) Will+4 [4] – 17†; Mental Strength (E) Will+7 [8] – 20†; Pressure Points (H) IQ+1 [8] – 12; Savoir-Faire (Dojo) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 11; Sports (Surfing) (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Sumo Wrestling (A) DX+1 [4] – 14.
Techniques: Arm Lock (Judo) (A) def+4 [4] – 19; Pressure Point Strike (H) def+1 [2] – 14; Roll With Blow (Sumo Wrestling) (H) def+2 [3] – 14; Sweep (Karate) (H) def+3 [4] – 15.
Starting Spending Money: $400,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +1 from Perfect Balance.
† Includes +4 from Inner Balance.
‡ Includes +4 from Perfect Balance.
§ Defaulted from Judo.

Role-Playing Notes:
Libra is a patient man who prefers to not get involved in disputes between the other Zodiac members, and spends his time either in study, meditation, or surfing as opposed to actually running his criminal empire, letting his lieutenants run the day to day operations. How much he actually knows of what goes on in his org is up for debate.

Design Notes:
1. Organized Crime Rank is built as 2/level as per the guidelines on p. 15 of Social Engineering.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.

Last edited by Phantasm; 12-07-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #1204
Phantasm

MATADOR

Occupation: Professional criminal, mercenary, former bullfighter.
Identity: Known to the authorities.
Legal Status: Citizen of Spain with a criminal record in Spain, the United States, Mexico, and Nicaragua.
Other Aliases: El Supremo.
Place of Birth: Madrid, Spain.
Marital Status: Presumably single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: Occasional member of Batroc's Brigade.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: Manuel Eloganto was once a famous but notorious professional bullfighter across much of Latin America, but one whose ego and callous attitude toward both the fans and the bulls he fought soon netted him many enemies, both inside and outside the sport. During what would be his final match, the spectators in Mexico City were heard cheering for the bull!

Injured by the bull when he turned to cuss out the fans, Eloganto was forced to retire. However, he had blown all his winnings from his previous matches on a lavish lifestyle and could not afford his medical expenses.

At first, he engaged in a number of bank robberies across Mexico. This brought him into conflict with the Mexican cartels, however, who didn't appreciate a freelancer in their territory who refused to give them a cut of the loot. It was at this time he was given the name "Matador" by the press.

Forced across the border, Eloganto came into conflict with Spider-Woman and Iron Man when he attempted to rob an armored car in Los Angeles, California, and was arrested (see Iron Man; Spider-Woman). While in prison, he testified against the Mexican cartels in exchange for a reduced sentence and aid for his debts.

Apparently released on his own recognizance while awaiting trial, Eloganto decided to hire himself out as a mercenary. He was later recruited by Georges Batroc into the latter's Brigade for a raid on Stark Industries' Dallas, Texas, plant (see Batroc, Georges; Batroc's Brigade; Stark Industries). The raid would probably have been successful if Captain America had not been visiting at the time, which put Matador into conflict with both the Captain and Iron Man (see Captain America).

Matador's subsequent activities are currently unknown, but he is presumably back in prison awaiting trial.
Height: 6'.
Weight: 200 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Black.
Uniform: Blue silk shirt, green bullfighter's jacket, green calf-length bullfighter's pants, red slippers, black bullfighter's hat, black half-mask, maroon cummerbund.
Strength Level: Matador possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.
Other Abilities: Matador is a trained bullfighter.
Weapons and Paraphernalia: Matador carries a bullfighter's saber and a red bullfighter's cloak. Batroc has upgraded Matador's saber with a monomolecular edge, allowing it to slice through stronger materials than normal blades, while the cloak is made of a synthetic substance which resembles spider silk.

244 points
Attributes:
ST 12 [20]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+2; BL 29 lbs.; HP 12 [0]; Will 10 [0]; Per 12 [10]; FP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 6.25 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 10.
Languages: English (Accented) [4]; Portuguese (Native) [6]; Spanish (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Latin American [1]; Western [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Enhanced Block 2 [10]; Fit [5]; Hard to Kill 3 [6]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Wealth (Comfortable) [10]; Weapon Master (Matador Saber and Cloak) [25].
Perks: Off-Hand Weapon Training (Broadsword) [1]; Off-Hand Weapon Training (Cloak) [1]; Style Familiarity (Bullfighting) [1]; Sure-Footed (Uneven) [1]; Weapon Bond (Matador Saber) [1].
Disadvantages: Callous [-1]; Debt -1 [-1]; Overconfidence (9) [-7]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5].
Quirks: Ambiguous Sexuality [-1]; Chauvinistic [-1]; Expression ("¡Olé!") [-1]; Self-Centered [-1]; Show-Off [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+0 [4] – 13; Broadsword (A) DX+3 [12] – 16; Cloak (A) DX+1 [2] – 14*; Cloak Sport (A) DX+3 [12] – 16; Jumping (E) DX+0 [1] – 13; Performance (A) IQ+2 [8] – 12; Riding (Cattle) (A) DX-1 [1] – 12; Running (A) HT+0 [2] – 14; Survival (Desert) (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Survival (Plains) (A) Per+0 [2] – 12.
Techniques: Acrobatic Stand (Acrobatics) (H) def+5 [6] – 13; Feint (Cloak Sport) (H) def+4 [5] – 20; Targeted Attack (Broadsword Swing/Neck) (H) def+3 [4] – 14.
Starting Spending Money: $2,960 (20% of Starting Wealth, sans the cost of his mono-edged sword and a fancy cloak).

* Defaulted from Cloak (Sport).

Role-Playing Notes:
Matador is callous and self-centered, with a flair for the dramatic. He doesn't seem to care for anyone else. Despite his cruelty to the bulls in a bullfighting ring, he is unable to take a human life.

In combat, Matador will always attempt to open by getting others to attack him, attempting to entangle his opponents in his cloak.

From what I gathered during my research, Matador is commonly regarded as a Z-lister (and even that can be considered generous by some fans), but considering he was originally intended to fill out Daredevil's rogues gallery at a time when DD was still struggling to find his niche in Spider-Man's shadow, a second look at him showed untapped potential. I just had to make sure he wasn't fighting folks who were blind.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #1205
Phantasm

RIGELLIANS

The Rigellians are a race of humanoids who originated on the fourth planet in the Rigel system and have colonized a large interstellar empire. Rigel IV is a world with a gravity and atmosphere very close to Earth, and the Rigellians have tended to colonize similar worlds.

Rigellians are naturally psionic. They possess two natural psionic powers – the ability to control another being's mind, and the ability to take control of another being's arms or legs – and many Rigellians develop other psionic abilities; the most common are telepathic in nature.

The Rigellians have managed to avoid getting involved with the various wars between the other major interstellar powers: the Kree Empire, the Skrull Empire, and the Shi'ar Empire (see Kree; Shi'ar; Skrulls). They are not as militaristic as the other races, but don't take the rights of a world's native species into consideration when colonizing a world.

So far, the only Rigellian to have visited Earth is Tana Nile, who attempted to claim Earth for the Rigellian Annex until Dr. Richards of the Fantastic Four pointed out that the Skrulls and Kree have made similar claims on the planet (see Fantastic Four; Mister Fantastic; Nile, Tana).

Game-Mechanic Details:
The Rigellians possess a native TL 11^, with the standard space opera superscience technologies (gravity manipulation, FTL stardrives, FTL communications, FTL sensors, and force shields) plus monowire and ranged neural weapons. They are advanced in psionic technologies, giving them effective TL 12^ in those regions, but lack mature nanotechnology.

In a cosmic campaign, the campaign's base TL would also be TL 11^, so the Rigellian racial package would be reduced by 15 points.

Rigellian
140 points
Languages: Rigellian (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Rigellian Annex (Native) [0].
Advantages: High TL +3 [15]; Mind Control (Independent, +70%; Psionic, -10%) [80]; Telekinesis 10 (Animate Life-Forms: Partial, +20%; Psionic, -10%) [55].
Perks: Racial Gifts (Other Psionic Powers) [1].
Disadvantages: Intolerance (Total) [-10].
Quirks: Dislikes Crowds [-1].

Seems I missed posting these guys back when I posted Tana Nile. Oops.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #1206
Phantasm

SHI'AR

The Shi'ar are a race of humanoids with both mammalian and avian characteristics who have recently conquered a large interstellar empire, the Shi'ar Imperium, and are still in the middle of their expansionist phase. They have recently encountered the other major interstellar powers. For the most part, Shi'ar are able to pass for human, with the exception of having feathers instead of hair. A small percentage of Shi'ar possess wings under their arms which permit them flight in most atmospheres; as these Shi'ar are known as "throwbacks", it can be assumed that the Shi'ar as a whole have recently (from an evolutionary standpoint) lost their wings, with the so-called throwbacks still possessing the genes for the wings.

At some point in the last few hundred years, the Shi'ar fought with the feline Mephitisoids for dominance over their sector of space (see Appendix: Other Alien Races: Mephitisoids). The Mephitisoids as a whole are currently enslaved by the Imperium. Other species in the Imperium are given varying levels of autonomy, from slavery to near-equal terms.

The current leader of the Shi'ar Imperium is Majestor (or Emperor) D'ken. He commands the Imperial Guard, selected from Shi'ar and other species in the Imperium.

Game-Mechanic Details:
The Shi'ar possess a native TL 11^. While possessing the standard space-opera superscience – gravity manipulation, FTL stardrives, FTL communications, FTL sensors, and force shields – they also have mature nanotechnology.

In a cosmic campaign, the campaign's base TL would also be TL 11^, so the Shi'ar racial package would be reduced by 15 points.

Shi'ar
66 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST +1 [10]; DX +2 [40].
Languages: Shi'ar (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Shi'ar Empire (Native) [0].
Advantages: High TL +3 [15].
Perks: Racial Gifts (Wings) [1].
Features: Feathers instead of Hair on their heads [0].

Edit: Removed the Feathers Perk, as while they have feathers on their heads, they don't qualify for the Perk due to not being covered with fine down water-proofing them.

Last edited by Phantasm; 05-06-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #1207
Phantasm

I went and started working on a number of alien species that could be found in the greater universe that could be encountered in "Year One" that weren't the "Big Four" of Kree, Skrulls, Shi'ar, or Rigellians. A number of these are probably going to be part of a little-known (to comics readers) confederacy known as the Charter, which would be a fifth Galactic Power. Hey, the galaxy is a large place; plenty of room for multiple empires. :)

OTHER ALIEN RACES
(Part 1)
The following alien races may be encountered in any cosmic campaign or in any session/adventure where they are part of an alien invasion of Earth. Many more exist, but most match the human norm except for various features such as skin, hair, or eye color (for some unknown reason, the humanoid frame seems to be the most common form among aliens).

Aliens who are functionally – if not physically – identical to Humans include but are not limited to: Aakons, Arcturans, Axi-Tun, Ba-Bani, Centaurians, Clavians, Contraxians, Dakkamites, Deonists, Galadorians, Kallusians, Kamado, Korbinites, Krylorians, Landlaks, Levians, Lumina, Myndai, Nanda, Quists, Rajaks, R'Zahnians, Sagittarians, Sarks, Sirians, Sirusites, Wilameanis, Xandarians, Xixix, and Zenn-Lavians (the Arcturans and Zenn-Lavians are reportedly capable of lifespans of several hundred years, but are otherwise within human norms).

The racial packages below are priced for campaigns that take place on Earth, with a base TL 8. Reduce all packages by 15 points for campaigns that take place in the greater galaxy, where the base TL is 11, removing levels of High TL and adding levels of Low TL as appropriate.

A'askvarii
An A'askvarii is a semi-humanoid with six long tentacles instead of arms. They have only recently achieved interstellar flight, with weapons that are a mix of lasers and Gauss weapons.

Captain Marvel encountered a number of A'askvarii at Port Nowhere (see Captain Marvel; Port Nowhere).
110 points
Advantages: Amphibious [10]; Doesn't Breathe (Gills, -50%) [10]; Extra Arms (Extra-Flexible, +50%) 4 [60]; Extra-Flexible Arms (2 Arms) [10]; High TL +2 [10]; Pressure Support 1 [5]; Regrowth [40]; Slippery 4 [8]; Teeth (Sharp Teeth) [1].
Perks: No Denigration in Zero-G [1].
Disadvantages: Vulnerability to Fire/Heat (Wounding Modifier: ×3) [-45].
Features: Green skin; Oviparous.

Achernonian
Achernonians are a pre-industrial people with skin in dark shades of blue, purple, and gray. Their key trait is the ability to go immaterial. A few were seen among Thanos's forces opposing the Universal Church of Truth (see Thanos; Universal Church of Truth).
153 points
Advantages: Claws (Talons) [8]; Insubstantiality (Partial Change, Can Turn Carried Item Substantial, +100%) [160].
Disadvantages: Low TL -3 [-15].
Features: Skin in Shades of Blue, Purple, and Gray.

Badoon
Badoon are a reptilian species that has only recently achieved spaceflight; their known technology lags behind the galactic powers. A number of Badoon are known to have traveled to Earth in the past.
46 points
Attribute Adjustments: ST +2 [20].
Advantages: Acute Taste and Smell 2 [4]; Claws (Sharp Claws) [5]; Damage Resistance 2 (Tough Skin, -40%) [6]; High TL +2 [10]; Vibration Sense [10].
Perks: Scales [1].
Disadvantages: Callous [-5]; Cold-Blooded (Stiffen Up Below 50°F) [-5].
Features: Oviparous.

Brood
The Brood are insectoids who possess a racial hive mind of sorts. Known and reviled among the known galaxy as parasites, the Brood procreate by having their Queens implant eggs inside host bodies, which then take over the body and morph it into the body of a Brood. Many Brood are known to take the forms and powers of their hosts.

The Brood's own technology is very high biotech, although they can use regular technology with ease.

Una, a Kree doctor who is now considered a renegade by the Kree Empire, is noted for discovering a means to separate a Brood from its host without killing either (see Kree; Una). Sadly, this knowledge has not yet become common in the galaxy; the Brood themselves actively try and suppress it.
139 points
Attribute Adjustments: ST +4 (Size, -10%) [36].
Secondary Characteristic Adjustments: SM +1.
Advantages: Claws (Long Talons) [11]; Damage Resistance 10 (Can't Wear Armor, -40%) [30]; Extra Legs (4 Legs) (Cannot Kick, -50%) [3]; Extra-Flexible Arms (2 Arms) [10]; Flight (Winged, -25%) [10]; High TL +3 [15]; Injury Tolerance (No Blood) [5]; Racial Memory (Passive) [15]; Striker (Impaling; Tail) [8]; Teeth (Fangs) [2]; Telecommunication (Telesend) (Racial, -20%) [24]; Ultravision [10].
Perks: Racial Gifts (Alternate Form: Host Body) [1].
Disadvantages: Callous [-5]; Cold-Blooded (Stiffen Up Under 50°F) [-5]; Horizontal [-10]; Selfless (6) [-10]; Sense of Duty (Brood Species) [-15]; Social Stigma (Monster) [-15].
Quirks: Chauvinistic [-1].
Features: Only Queens are fertile; Parasitic Hatching.
Note: The Brood's Selfless trait is an effect of the Brood hive-mind; a Brood will not hesitate to sacrifice him- or herself to ensure the survival of the Queen.

Chr'yllite
Chr'yllites are insectoids that average only 1' 6" in length with wings on top, looking a lot like miniature Earth helicopters. They have a number of psychic abilities, mostly ESP and Telepathic, making them sought after as doctors and diplomats. Their homeworld is part of the Shi'ar Empire, but before encountering the Shi'ar lacked technology of their own (see Shi'ar).

One, who introduced himself as 'Sikorsky', encountered Magneto when the latter was captured by a Shi'ar scout team (see Magneto).
46 points
Attribute Adjustments: ST -4 [-40].
Secondary Characteristic Adjustments: SM -4.
Advantages: Damage Resistance 1 (Can't Wear Armor, -40%) [3]; Extra Legs (6 Legs) [10]; Flight (Winged, -25%) [30]; High TL +3 [15]; Injury Tolerance (No Blood) [5]; Peripheral Vision [15]; Telecommunication (Telesend) (Broadcast, +50%; Psionic, -10%) [42]; Ultrasonic Speech (No Normal Speech) [0]; Ultravision [10].
Perks: Racial Gifts (ESP and Telepathic Psionics) [1].
Disadvantages: Cold-Blooded (Stiffen Up Below 50°F) [-5]; Horizontal [-10]; No Fine Manipulators [-30].

Ciegrimite
Small (4' tall on average) beings from a high-gravity world, Ciegrimites are members of the interstellar confederation known as the Charter. Their planet possesses only Earth-level technology, but due to their membership in the Charter they have access to interstellar ships.

A number of Ciegrimites are known to have set up "the galaxy's best drinking hole" at Port Nowhere (see Port Nowhere). To date, no Ciegrimites have yet visited Earth.
38 points
Secondary Characteristic Adjustments: SM -1; Basic Move -1 [-5].
Advantages: Damage Resistance 8 (Torso Only, -10%) [36]; Enhanced Tracking 1 [5].
Perks: Alcohol Tolerance [1]; No Hangover [1].
Features: Born Biter 1.

Courga
Courga are canine humanoids who have only reached a level of development equal to Earth's Middle Ages on their homeworld. A number of them have been abducted offworld and are found in the greater galaxy in various areas.
21 points
Advantages: Discriminatory Smell [15]; Ultrahearing [5].
Perks: Fur [1].
Disadvantages: Low TL -5 [-25].

More to come later; this is going to take some time. Any aliens you want to see out of order that I haven't covered yet?

Last edited by Phantasm; 01-12-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #1208
Phantasm

It. Is. ALIVE!

MODOK

Identity: Secret.
Legal Status: Citizenship unknown, no known criminal record.
Other Aliases: Mobile Organism Designed Only for Computation; MODOC; Mobile Organism Designed Only For Killing.
Place of Birth: Unrevealed.
Marital Status: Presumably single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: AIM.
Base of Operations: An AIM facility in an undisclosed location.
History: The entity currently known as MODOK was born a human man who worked as an accountant for one of AIM's legitimate business offices (see AIM). Noticing more than a few discrepancies in the budget, he brought them before his superiors, not knowing his superiors were ranking scientists in AIM's subversive side.

In order to keep the accountant from becoming a whistle-blower and publicly revealing AIM's criminal side, the accountant was kidnapped and taken to a secret underground facility, where he was one of about two dozen "volunteers" subjected to a number of experiments designed to turn them into living computers. In the accountant's case, his personality was altered through telepathy and surgical means, and then exposed to various nanotech and genetic retroviruses. The end result was that his head grew larger than the rest of his body, increasing his cranial capacity.

Unknown to and unplanned by the AIM scientists, the accountant, whom they re-designated MODOC (Mobile Organism Designed Only for Computing), also developed incredible psionic powers, which he used to dominate the base. When the lead scientist of the facility attempted to warn Dr. Arnim Zola, AIM's leader and founder, of what had been unleashed, MODOC used his powers to kill the scientist (see Zola, Dr. Arnim). Renaming himself MODOK (which he said was Mobile Organism Designed Only for Killing), he began a scheme to conquer the United States which drew the attention of both Captain America and Nick Fury, an agent of the CIA, who fought and defeated MODOK's AIM faction, though MODOK escaped, along with most of his splinter AIM faction (see Captain America; Fury, Nick). It was later revealed that MODOK had taken control of a third of AIM's holdings before anyone noticed.

MODOK later approached Dr. Zola with an offer of collaboration. In truth, however, MODOK plans to supplant Zola as AIM's Chief Scientist. The result of this internal struggle inside AIM remains to be seen.
Height: 12'.
Weight: 750 lbs.
Eyes: White, formerly brown.
Hair: Brown.
Uniform: MODOK wears a gold-titanium alloy battlesuit in order to move.
Strength Level: MODOK currently possesses the strength of a man much weaker than his height would indicate; he possesses the normal human strength of man his body's regular height and build (about 5' 8", 160 lbs.); his strength is unable to support his massive head without assistance.
Known Superhuman Powers: MODOK possesses incredible psionic power. Among his observed feats are reading someone's surface thoughts, probing a person's memories, and basic telekinesis. His headband permits him to focus his psionic energy into potent concussive energy blasts that can deform and with repeated blows punch through steel plate.

In addition to all this, MODOK possesses a superhuman computer-like intellect, able to concentrate on multiple things at once in a manner akin to a multiple-core CPU computer, with different parts of his brain working on different projects.
Paraphernalia: MODOK uses a hoverchair which can fly at speeds up to 120 miles per hour. This chair protects him from harm by projecting a force field around him; this field is stronger against energy attacks than it is physical attacks.

1,122 points
Attributes:
ST 9 [-10]; DX 6 [-80]; IQ 15 [100]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: SM +2; BL 16 lbs.; Dmg 1d-2/1d-1; HP 20 [18]; Will 20 [25]; Per 13 [-10]; FP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 5.00 [10]; Basic Move 2 [-15]; Dodge 8.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Absolute Timing [2]; Compartmentalized Mind 3 (No Mental Separation, -20%) [120]; Crushing Attack 3d×5 (Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Damage Modifier: Double Knockback, +20%; Damage Modifier: Incendiary, +10%; Damage Modifier: Surge, +20%; Gadget/Breakable: DR 10, -10%; Gadget/Breakable: Complex Machine, -5%; Gadget/Breakable: SM -5, -10%; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Forcibly Removed (Does Not Work For Thief), -5%; Increased 1/2D Range (×5), +10%; Reduced Range (×1/2), -10%; Variable, +5%; Psionic, -10%) [124]; Hard to Kill +3 [6]; Hover-Chair [271]; Indomitable [15]; Intuition [15]; Intuitive Mathematician [5]; Mathematical Ability 4 [40]; Merchant Rank 6 [30]; Mind Control (Conditioning, +50%; Independent, +70%; Rationalization, +20%; Psionic, -10%) [115]; Mind Probe (Invasive, +75%; Sensory, +20%; Universal, +50%; Psionic, -10%) [47]; Mind Reading (Multiple Contacts, +50%; Sensory, +20%; Universal, +50%; Psionic, -10%) [63]; Photographic Memory [10]; Resistant to Telepathy +3 [5]; Telecommunications (Telesend) (Broadcast, +50%; Sensie, +80%; Universal, +50%; Psionic, -10%) [81]; Telekinesis 10 (Increased Range: Line-of-Sight, +40%; Psionic, -10%) [65]; Wealth (Wealthy) [20].
Disadvantages: Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Bad Temper (9) [-15]; Callous [-5]; Cannot Kick [-5]; Chronic Pain (Severe; Interval: 4 hours) (9) [-15]; Hidebound [-5]; Lame (Crippled Legs) [-10]; Megalomania [-10]; Short Arms (2 Arms) [-10]; Social Stigma (Freak) [-10]; Stubbornness [-5].
Quirks: Bowlegged [-1]; Careful [-1]; Chauvinistic [-1]; Likes Killing [-1]; Third Person [-1].
Skills: Accounting (H) IQ+2 [1] – 17*; Administration (A) IQ-1 [1] – 14; Computer Programming/TL8 (H) IQ+0 [4] – 15; Cryptography/TL8 IQ+2 [1] – 17*; Current Affairs/TL8 (Business) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 15; Current Affairs/TL8 (Politics) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 15; Current Affairs/TL8 (Science & Technology) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 15; Encylopedist! (WC) IQ+0 [24] – 15; Innate Attack (Gaze) (E) DX+4 [12] – 10; Intelligence Analysis/TL8 (H) IQ+0 [4] – 15; Interrogation (A) IQ+3 [4] – 18†; Intimidation (A) Will+0 [2] – 20; Inventor! (WC) IQ-1 [12] – 14‡; Leadership (A) IQ-1 [1] – 14; Market Analysis (H) IQ+5 [8] – 20*; Mathematics/TL8 (Applied) (H) IQ+5 [8] – 20*; Mathematics/TL8 (Statistics) (H) IQ+3 [2] – 18; Mental Surgery (H) IQ-1 [2] – 14; Research/TL8 (A) IQ+0 [2] – 15; Savoir-Faire (Mafia) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 15; Science! (WC) IQ+0 [24] – 15‡; Strategy (Land) (H) IQ-1 [2] – 14; Tactics (H) IQ-1 [2] – 14; Telereceive (H) IQ+0 [4] – 15; Telesend (H) IQ+0 [4] – 15; TK Grab (H) IQ-2 [1] – 13.
Starting Spending Money: $20,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +4 from Mathematical Ability.
† Defaulted from Intimidation.
‡ Conditional +4 from Mathematical Ability when used in place of Engineer or Physics.

Role-Playing Notes:
MODOK has ambition and is ruthlessly efficient in pursuing his goals. He has patience and a Machiavellian attitude, willing to make short-term sacrifices if he calculates them as benefiting him in the long run. While he has been called "sadistic", he is really just very callous, taking no pleasure from the pain he inflicts. Despite this, he has developed a taste for killing.

Despite his intellect, he lacks creativity. He can develop and implement a complex plan down to the second, but he needs help coming up with the idea for the plan in the first place.

MODOK's Hover Chair
MODOK's hover chair is built as a Meta-Trait with the following traits:

271 points
Advantages: Damage Resistance 30 (Directional: All Except Front, -20%; Gadget/Breakable: Complex Machine, -5%; Gadget/Breakable: SM 0+, -25%; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Forcefully Removed, -10%) [60]; Damage Resistance 20 (Force Field, +20%; Gadget/Breakable: Complex Machine, -5%; Gadget/Breakable: SM 0+, -25%; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Forcefully Removed, -10%; Electronic, -30%) [50]; Damage Resistance 50 (Force Field, +20%; Gadget/Breakable: Complex Machine, -5%; Gadget/Breakable: SM 0+, -25%; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Forcefully Removed, -10%; Hardened 2, +40%; Limited Defense (Energy Attacks Only), -20%; Electronic, -30%) [140]; Enhanced Move (Air) 2.5 (Gadget/Breakable: Complex Machine, -5%; Gadget/Breakable: SM 0+, -25%; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Forcefully Removed, -10%; Nuisance Effect: Obvious, -5%; Electronic, -30%) [13]; Flight (Gadget/Breakable: Complex Machine, -5%; Gadget/Breakable: SM 0+, -25%; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Forcefully Removed, -10%; Low Ceiling: 30 feet, -10%; Electronic, -30%) [8].

Old 02-07-2016, 02:33 AM   #1209
Culture20

Quote:
Any aliens you want to see out of order that I haven't covered yet?
I'd list the Spartoi in the "functionally human but long-lived" section. In current Marvel books, they, the Brood, and Badoon have emerged as power players after the weakening of the Kree, Skrull, and Shi'Ar (alongside these species, not supplanting them; they formed a sort of council to discuss universal concerns).
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #1210
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I'd list the Spartoi in the "functionally human but long-lived" section. In current Marvel books, they, the Brood, and Badoon have emerged as power players after the weakening of the Kree, Skrull, and Shi'Ar (alongside these species, not supplanting them; they formed a sort of council to discuss universal concerns).
Hmm... I'm not entirely sure about the status of the Spartoi/Spartax/whatever they're called this decade, to be honest, because I'm not entirely sure on the origins of Star-Lord. I've kinda-sorta got plans on the back burner for him, but there's nothing solid yet.

Right now in the Reboot, the big players in the greater galaxy are the Kree Empire, Shi'ar Empire, Skrull Empire, and the Charter Confederacy, with the Rigellian Annex as a second-rate power, and a bunch of one- to ten-system minor powers rounding things out. I count the Brood and Badoon as minor powers right now.

Last edited by Phantasm; 04-01-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men