Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-14-2021, 07:46 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: (IW) Conveyor Suits

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanus View Post
Of course adding a power assisted frame might still be more man-portable than a full vehicular conveyor.
I am now imagining some rogue faction that uses Jump-capable suits of power armor (probably adapted from the tech of some high-TL parallel). Could make for an interesting encounter.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:37 PM   #12
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Such a suit would have to be about 100lb to transfer 200lb of agent and gear. I'm not sure I'd call that portable.
Actually, half the transferred mass is conveyor (see I29). Therefore to move a person and a little gear you need a 200 lb conveyor.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:21 AM   #13
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
IW.P28. Power System - A jump requires 200 kJ of energy per ton of capacity – delivered in a single pulse. A typical pulsed power system for the field generator costs $50 and weighs 5 lbs. per kJ.

I would have the scouts have atypical power supplies that are lighter and more expensive.
Thats what I am thinking an a-typical Ultratech battery, however with a long recharge time (say 6 hours or more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
I think one of the key points of using a vehicular conveyors is that it allows for back-up systems, as well as cargo space to carry necessary equipment, including survival and medical gear.
Agreed and this idea isn't to replace them, its just exploring the other options. A vehicle to a Pliocene parallel or second jump sounds far more practical, base of operations, protection, supplies.
However quiet insertion to a post Renaissance Worldline following drone survey or even entering Shiku-Mon quietly this seems like an intial step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Conveyor Suits sound awesome, but they almost belong in a different setting. It still takes 10 minutes before each jump, You can't wear one and blend in with the locals, and if you end up in a fight your escape route is directly in the line of fire. That said, a suit that lets you jump between worlds and time-lines is a very evocative idea... It just doesn't sound like the Infinity Patrol.
I'd have it far longer between jumps, very limited payload and longer recharge time so that on balance a vehicle or even static conveyor remains the mainstay of conveyance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I am now imagining some rogue faction that uses Jump-capable suits of power armor (probably adapted from the tech of some high-TL parallel). Could make for an interesting encounter.
That had crossed my mind, specially following Spec-OPs having Conveyor atmospheric Drop-ships which are TL10, powered armour conveyors remove the weight concerns.

I think there is wiggle room within cannon on P.84 IW it lists Petroleum as being moved by Sub-Quanta Tankers, that suggests even at sub-quantan level Infinity has the capability of moving more than 300 tons per jump.

Also Project ZK-GO from Worlds of Horror suggests alternative conveyor capacity - herding large quantities of fish (and sea water), could as simple as swallowing up several hundred tons and jumping or something larger.

With the possibility that cannon has now progressed to mid 2030s it does make me wonder how higher TL power sources etc might have now been incorporated.
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:05 AM   #14
Rupert

The pulsed power system is, by VE2 standard, extremely heavy for the charge it carries. When fooling round with some back-of-the-envelope numbers I bumped up the energy requirement a great deal to get the required mass up to the numbers in Campaigns and Infinite Worlds.

That aside, TL9 powercells in VE2 hold 50% more charge per unit weight than TL8 systems, which helps a bit. 4e power systems are different, but we have no real idea what the step from TL8 to TL9 brings us (where's VDS when we need it?). If this was Spaceships I'd assume a ~1.5 multiple per tech level (i.e. that it follows the range/speed table like just about everything else) and call it a day.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #15
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
That aside, TL9 powercells in VE2 hold 50% more charge per unit weight than TL8 systems, which helps a bit. 4e power systems are different, but we have no real idea what the step from TL8 to TL9 brings us (where's VDS when we need it?). If this was Spaceships I'd assume a ~1.5 multiple per tech level (i.e. that it follows the range/speed table like just about everything else) and call it a day.
That’s a good model, in my campaign Homelines TL8+1 notably in Energy and Biotech, so using VE2 and working on the 100lb model for TL8, we’re looking at 66lbs at 9 and 44lbs at 10.

We know that Homeline has TL10 technologies in some areas so 40 to 44lbs for a suit isn’t out of the question and much more portable.
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #16
fchase8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Yeah, adapted, or even cobbled-together, from a high-tech TL. Make it a one-off, highly durable, but difficult to fix, impossible to replace.

Steel (a.k.a. GURPS Reign of Steel) might have such power suits, intended for human slaves to use in work. Zone Washington likely has a bunch of them.

Or Combine, where the focus is on robotic armored vehicles.

(is Combine, with that corporate state and the Paneuropean Federation, supposed to be the IW version of a world-setting, like Steel is? Maybe OGRE or Car Wars?)
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:06 AM   #17
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchase8 View Post
(is Combine, with that corporate state and the Paneuropean Federation, supposed to be the IW version of a world-setting, like Steel is? Maybe OGRE or Car Wars?)
It's Ogre, where about 50 years after the current date in IW the North American Combine (a pseudo-communist state formed out of all of North America from Panama to Cape Columbia) and Paneuropean Federation (a feudal capitalist state of Europe from Lisbon to Vladivostok, but no Britain) start warring each other with their ridiculously oversized tanks.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, infinity, world jumping