Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-14-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
arcanus

Default (IW) Conveyor Suits

Quote:
IW.P28. Power System - A jump requires 200 kJ of energy per ton of capacity – delivered in a single pulse. A typical pulsed power system for the field generator costs $50 and weighs 5 lbs. per kJ.
Hi All,
The above description suggests that Conveyor technology can be very small and portable for small loads.

A sensible development (especially for Scouts) could be Conveyor suits rather than vehicular conveyors, this allows the devices to be hidden, small and compact.

Has anyone used conveyor suits in their campaigns?
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #2
Donny Brook

Default Re: (IW) Conveyor Suits

Such a suit would have to be about 100lb to transfer 200lb of agent and gear. I'm not sure I'd call that portable.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Such a suit would have to be about 100lb to transfer 200lb of agent and gear. I'm not sure I'd call that portable.
Good point - although if split between suit and a backpack, a heavy load for a short period of time (the jump), with the option of then stowing the backpack for the return trip.

Of course adding a power assisted frame might still be more man-portable than a full vehicular conveyor.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
Anaraxes

FWIW: US MIL-STD-1472G, "Human Engineering", specifies a maximum total load of 45% of body weight for marching, 30% for close combat. "Portable" is defined as something intended to be carried less than 2 km; "portable test equipment" has a maximum limit of 90 lb. items to be lifted by one person with a two-hand lift should not exceed 82 lb. (Yeah, I noticed that, too.)

100 pounds is a little high, but not completely out of the question, if your agents are in good shape and just wear it to make the hop with a short trip -- preferably to some secure space on the other side, like a base or safe house, possibility with assistants to help lift that backpack onto your conveyor field containment / guidance suit. If you need to carry a bunch of other gear for your mission, and hike to and from some secluded spot so the mundanes don't see you appear and disappear, it's a bit much.

If the mission had to be carried out by me, I'd be forced to wait for the conveyor. Feel free to add that as a plot complication, when the agents can't manage to retrieve the aging, out-of-shape scientist that was their target. Any agent/PC worth their acronym should have thought of that, so presumably the plan that didn't require them to rely on the individual suits has to go awry somehow. But when does that ever happen on an adventure?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #5
Willy

100 pounds, sounds first to much for a backpack, but it is handable, even walking with it to a close by hideout. Of course you need to calculate the whole mission equipment you need, not to mention weapons, food and all that in the weight you have to carry. There are reports about the Desert Storm where SAS members were forced to carry 90 kg of backpacks several time from the helicopter to a hideout 2 miles a mile away. The old mountan man, and trappers often carried, rucksacks and furs weighting 90 kg to market, and with the bought staples back to their cabins in the wilderness days of walk away. As I can state from personal experience for a fit or very fit adult its possible with 150 kg carried by both arms to move at walking speed 300m and 2 stairs, it wasn´t funny and I was in the shape of my live, we had than a problem with the parking and a very tight time schedule for days. I was still very happy after that problem was solved. Before you ask I weighted little under 74 kg than. The actual military regulations are mostly to be on the safe side, to avoid to being held responsible for health problems. It´s like firefighters in my country, who are not allowed to use a full weight training dummies. The problems occur years later when you get back problems.

Last edited by Willy; 03-14-2021 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling error
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
dcarson

Throw in a couple more pounds for a hand cart so you can drag it along.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #7
arcanus

Those are good points it’s a heavy trade off for portability.

I’m continually swaying towards first in-scouts having some form of man-portable conveyor to avoid a vehicle being compromised.

Depending on Infinity’s acquisitions a stealth-exo suit from Ultratech (P.181) might compensate the weight with its +4 Lifting ST.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:36 PM   #8
isf

IW.P28. Power System - A jump requires 200 kJ of energy per ton of capacity – delivered in a single pulse. A typical pulsed power system for the field generator costs $50 and weighs 5 lbs. per kJ.

I would have the scouts have atypical power supplies that are lighter and more expensive.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #9
LoneWolf23k

I think one of the key points of using a vehicular conveyors is that it allows for back-up systems, as well as cargo space to carry necessary equipment, including survival and medical gear.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Conveyor Suits sound awesome, but they almost belong in a different setting. It still takes 10 minutes before each jump, You can't wear one and blend in with the locals, and if you end up in a fight your escape route is directly in the line of fire. That said, a suit that lets you jump between worlds and time-lines is a very evocative idea... It just doesn't sound like the Infinity Patrol.

A collapsible conveyor you can stick in a handcart sounds like an awesome idea, and something they would do. Though that power system is a bulky bear.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, infinity, world jumping