Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
Henchman99942

Default H&H Royal Double-Express stats

The "H&H Royal Double-Express, .600 Nitro Express (U.K., 1903-1974)" is listed with the notation, "[2] Fine (accurate)."

Do the stats include this modifier or do you have to add it into the existing stats?
Henchman99942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
The_Ryujin

Default Re: H&H Royal Double-Express stats

Yeah, it has already been added to the stats. The note is there to let you know why the gun has a higher Acc stat then others in it's class.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:42 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Yeah, it has already been added to the stats. The note is there to let you know why the gun has a higher Acc stat then others in it's class.
And to tell you you can't upgrade it to Fine (Accurate)
Old 07-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
Henchman99942

It has the same accuracy (Acc:5) as other rifles listed in High Tech Pulp Guns Vol 2, like ...Winchester Model 94 .30-30, Savage Model 99A .303 Savage,
Springfield M1903 .30-06 and so on.

So how is this weapon exceptional?

Also, stats are listed for other versions of the H&H Royal Double-Express:
.470 Nitro Express (Damage: 8d+2 pi+)
This weapon weighs less and requires less strength to use. Its stats suggest that it has a single, larger (8 dice) barrel rather than two (5 dice) barrels.
If so, then how is it a 'Double' express?

I am just really confused on some of the info being presented in High-tech pulp. The book is amazingly informative regarding the history and 'flavor' of the time. I am just not understanding some of the logistics/specifics behind the stats.

-Thanks.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman99942 View Post
So how is this weapon exceptional?
Well, to start with, it throws a slug about twice the width and about six times the weight with three times or more the muzzle energy (Roughly, depends on which one we're comparing with). It's a very different round, and it's possible such a round would normally have less accuracy if fired from a weapon that wasn't carefully crafted to be as accurate. That, or it's suggesting that there's a limit on how much more accurate the weapon could be made. It's a completely different class of rifle, and you should compare it to other large-bore rifles, like the elephant gun.

Quote:
This weapon weighs less and requires less strength to use. Its stats suggest that it has a single, larger (8 dice) barrel rather than two (5 dice) barrels.
If so, then how is it a 'Double' express?
You're reading it wrong. Both are double-barrel rifles (The Shots stat for both being 2(3i)). The 5dx2 damage for the .600 doesn't mean two bullets, it means each bullet does 5dx2 damage (Equivalent of 10d). The .470 not only has less penetration, it also has a lower wounding capability (pi+ instead of the .600's pi++). The .470 is just a smaller round than the .600, as their names suggest.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
Henchman99942

I guess that makes sense.

So the base accuracy of the H&H Royal Double-Express is 4 and the fine (accurate) stat built into the gone raises it to 5.

So the gun could be modified upwards to Very Fine (Accurate).

"Very Fine (Accurate). If the weapon has a base Acc of at least 4, further work can improve quality to very fine (accurate). This grants +2 Acc. This is very rare, and typically confined to the best target rifles available! The modifications require an Armoury (Small Arms) roll and 25 hours’ work. Cost is five times that of basic accurizing; that is, 375% of the gun’s cost."

A GMs might outlaw modifying a rifle from either Good or Fine (Accurate) to Very Fine (Accurate) using the Armoury skill, but allow a percentage of those guns made will end up being Very Fine (Accurate) as a result of a good skill roll on the part of the gun smith, especially since these weapons are 'made to order' rather than coming off an assembly line.

Again, thanks for the clarification. I need to stop trying to do this stuff at 3 am.

Tags
double, express, h&h, royal, stats