Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #51
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll buy whatever's cheap. The meat thing was more idle curiosity.
The best bang for his buck is the rice wrapped in a leaf*. He will probably eventually find it bland, but right now, its good food, and a fair amount of it.

Quote:
So his name is Ump. Or he is an Ump. Or he speaks Ump. Well no one around here seems to speak my language or looks like me. I guess it doesn't matter if they think, Julian means "white guy" or "English language". Hopefully "Ako" is "I" and "Ano" is "you".

I hesitate slightly before speaking. I point at myself and say, "Ako si Julian." Then, slightly more confidently, I point at him and say, "Ano si Ump?"
"Oo! Ako si Ump! Ikaw si Julian!". He pauses, and holds up his stone "Ano ito??" he draws it out... "Vasic!"

So it appears Ano means "what", Ikaw means "you"... Ump says other things as they work, pointing to them and smiling. A shout comes from down the tunnel... the only thing Julian picks out it "Ump!", and the boy turns around and works harder for a while.

The stones are renewed three times before they come out of the tunnel to receive their pay.

*I made that food up. Then saw a version of it depicted in a show last night.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 03:03 PM   #52
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The best bang for his buck is the rice wrapped in a leaf*. He will probably eventually find it bland, but right now, its good food, and a fair amount of it.
Well hopefully it's more like a piece of romaine as opposed to a maple or birch leaf.

Quote:
"Oo! Ako si Ump! Ikaw si Julian!". He pauses, and holds up his stone "Ano ito??" he draws it out... "Vasic!"

So it appears Ano means "what", Ikaw means "you"...
And "ito" is... "this"? Not sure about "ano" being strictly "what"; doesn't seem to square with "ano" being used to ask for my name...

Quote:
Ump says other things as they work, pointing to them and smiling. A shout comes from down the tunnel... the only thing Julian picks out it "Ump!", and the boy turns around and works harder for a while.
OK, so Ump is definitely his name. Though I'm wondering how many things there are to identify in the tunnel. Maybe he's thrilled he's met someone with a worse command of the language than him?

Quote:
The stones are renewed three times before they come out of the tunnel to receive their pay.
Let's see if Ump is willing to talk some more outside of the tunnel. Maybe ask him why everyone looks so weird around here.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:12 AM   #53
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well hopefully it's more like a piece of romaine as opposed to a maple or birch leaf.
Julian takes a chance and bites into the leaf... and it turns out to be pretty edible. More like cabbage than lettuce, but still edible.

Quote:
And "ito" is... "this"? Not sure about "ano" being strictly "what"; doesn't seem to square with "ano" being used to ask for my name...
Yeah, ito is pretty much this. I'm basing the language on Filipino... which I don't actually know myself.

Quote:
OK, so Ump is definitely his name. Though I'm wondering how many things there are to identify in the tunnel. Maybe he's thrilled he's met someone with a worse command of the language than him?
He mostly seems happy to chat and smile and say things. There are indeed a fairly limited number of things to point to and name.

[/quote]Let's see if Ump is willing to talk some more outside of the tunnel. Maybe ask him why everyone looks so weird around here.[/QUOTE]
Today he receives five metal coins, rather than four. He's pretty sure he worked substantially longer today than yesterday.

Ump is happy to ... talk (more like gesturing) outside of the tunnel, but he wants Julian to come with him. The questions about people's weird features results in learning a bunch of words. The short folk with beards are . The talls ones with the slightly webbed hands and pale skin with black hair are "Muggragle". Ones with wings are "Lawin".

Ump is in a hurry to get somewhere.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #54
TGLS

Quote:
Julian takes a chance and bites into the leaf... and it turns out to be pretty edible. More like cabbage than lettuce, but still edible.
Quote:
Yeah, ito is pretty much this. I'm basing the language on Filipino... which I don't actually know myself.
I can gloss over the language if it would help.

Quote:
Today he receives five metal coins, rather than four. He's pretty sure he worked substantially longer today than yesterday.
I guess I arrived on time this time around. Or maybe something else?
I don't think I'm in any position to argue.

Quote:
Ump is happy to ... talk (more like gesturing) outside of the tunnel, but he wants Julian to come with him.
Sure, I'll follow.

Quote:
The questions about people's weird features results in learning a bunch of words. The short folk with beards are .
Nameless ones I suppose.

Quote:
The talls ones with the slightly webbed hands and pale skin with black hair are "Muggragle". Ones with wings are "Lawin".

Ump is in a hurry to get somewhere.
Probably too much of a hurry for me to write down any of these new words. I'll try to keep them in my head for later. I suppose we haven't seen and/or cannot gesture the grey pointy eared ones.

I'll ask what the language he speaks is called. Maybe by example: "Ano ito, 'My name is Julian'? English. Ano ito, 'Ako si Julian'?" And I'll ask what yes & no are.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:16 AM   #55
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I can gloss over the language if it would help.
Yes, I'd prefer to reserve new words for interesting things like magical stone.

Quote:
I'll ask what the language he speaks is called. Maybe by example: "Ano ito, 'My name is Julian'? English. Ano ito, 'Ako si Julian'?" And I'll ask what yes & no are.
The language is "Riask". yes and no are "oo" and "na".

Quote:
Nameless ones I suppose.
duwende.

Quote:
Probably too much of a hurry for me to write down any of these new words. I'll try to keep them in my head for later. I suppose we haven't seen and/or cannot gesture the grey pointy eared ones.

Quote:
Sure, I'll follow.
He heads down deeper into the structure, away from the mine. Several of the boys follow him. They introduce themselves to him, each with a simple name: "Brog", "Rails", "Yip". Most of them are "european" looking, though Yip has the grey skin and pointed ears: he's a "Yanak". They want to know where Julian lives, and one of them wants to see how good he is at catching a tossed coin.

The group passes where Julian slept, and continues on. Brog pulls out a vasic stone attatched to a cord around his neck, and a small piece of chalk from his pocket. Then he starts drawing a circular pattern on it.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:42 PM   #56
TGLS

Quote:
He heads down deeper into the structure, away from the mine. Several of the boys follow him. They introduce themselves to him, each with a simple name: "Brog", "Rails", "Yip".
I'll introduce myself back to them. I'm not sure how I'd ask something abstract like, "why are your names are so short?" Maybe it's the street kid culture here?

Quote:
Most of them are "european" looking, though Yip has the grey skin and pointed ears: he's a "Yanak".
Hm. Not sure how much to read into that. Maybe there's a big stunting problem here. Foods here don't seem to be nutritious.

Quote:
They want to know where Julian lives
The group passes where Julian slept, and continues on.
What exactly do you mean by "passes"? Are we in the rough tunnel now?
I'll point it out along the way.

Quote:
and one of them wants to see how good he is at catching a tossed coin.
Literally? I can give it a shot. Unless he meant it as a metaphor for panhandling. Then I'm probably awful at it. I'll try to communicate that.

Quote:
Brog pulls out a vasic stone attatched to a cord around his neck, and a small piece of chalk from his pocket. Then he starts drawing a circular pattern on it.
Are we at a wall or something? Or the entrance to a tunnel?
I try to get a better look at what exactly he's drawing. Is it like a spiral, concentric circles?
Old 03-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #57
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I'll introduce myself back to them. I'm not sure how I'd ask something abstract like, "why are your names are so short?" Maybe it's the street kid culture here?
Julian's not sure how well the concept came across, but they get something of the Idea and start calling him "Jules". This does seem to be something of a bonding moment, with back slapping.

Quote:
Hm. Not sure how much to read into that. Maybe there's a big stunting problem here. Foods here don't seem to be nutritious.
OCC: hah! Using the english names for these people would clear up a lot... but its always interesting to see traveler's reactions when they don't know the language. Puts a little ambiguity into naming and "ethnicity vs species vs race"

Quote:
Literally? I can give it a shot. Unless he meant it as a metaphor for panhandling. Then I'm probably awful at it. I'll try to communicate that.
Literally... a game of dexterity and skill.

[quote]What exactly do you mean by "passes"? Are we in the rough tunnel now?
I'll point it out along the way.

Are we at a wall or something? Or the entrance to a tunnel?
[quote]
The wooden tunnel doesn't end at the platform: it continues on in both directions. The platform has vegetation tunnel you can access on it, which goes in an downward direction compared to the wooden tunnel, but is mostly parallel, if a bit lower. Here is a rough diagram if it helps.

The boys urge him to come on past where he sleeps with them. They hardly stop, and seem to be in something of a hurry.

Quote:
I try to get a better look at what exactly he's drawing. Is it like a spiral, concentric circles?
Something like this.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:59 PM   #58
TGLS

Quote:
Julian's not sure how well the concept came across, but they get something of the Idea and start calling him "Jules". This does seem to be something of a bonding moment, with back slapping.
Well I don't know how much I like being called Jules but it'd probably be taken as a slight to reject that. At least they didn't just lop off the 'n'.

Quote:
Literally... a game of dexterity and skill.
Well hopefully it's not a gambling thing otherwise... Well I can't exactly lose my shirt now, can I?

Quote:
The boys urge him to come on past where he sleeps with them. They hardly stop, and seem to be in something of a hurry.
I'll follow along. Hopefully it's somewhere I won't get kicked around as much.

Quote:
The wooden tunnel doesn't end at the platform: it continues on in both directions. The platform has vegetation tunnel you can access on it, which goes in an downward direction compared to the wooden tunnel, but is mostly parallel, if a bit lower. Here is a rough diagram if it helps.
I see, so were continuing down to an even lower tunnel. Dotted lines are more vertical? I suppose the lower tunnels get dark?

Quote:
Something like this.
So a spirally heptagram. Whenever we get where we're going I guess I can ask how chalk makes the Vasic light up.

Quote:
OCC: hah! Using the English names for these people would clear up a lot... but its always interesting to see traveler's reactions when they don't know the language. Puts a little ambiguity into naming and "ethnicity vs species vs race"
Well... There's a few way to read into 'most of the street kids appear of European descent'. One is 'they're discriminated against', another is 'there's tensions between ethnic groups'. Though there might be 'Lawin and Muggragle are a minority and/or they can move in more on the z-axis and keep to themselves'. Though between this and Graco asking about 'taller responsible people' I have a sneaking suspicion being short might be part of it. Everyone Julian's seen has been (apart from Ump and Co.) are of the four named groups, right?

Last edited by TGLS; 03-26-2022 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:33 PM   #59
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well I don't know how much I like being called Jules but it'd probably be taken as a slight to reject that. At least they didn't just lop off the 'n'.
Think of the science fiction author! For the record, yes, the "Jules" I know is female.The other option I considered was "Ju".

Quote:
Well hopefully it's not a gambling thing otherwise... Well I can't exactly lose my shirt now, can I?
For now... its just skill. A gambling variant probably happens. Julian notices that they're not using any of the coins they just got for it.

Quote:
I'll follow along. Hopefully it's somewhere I won't get kicked around as much.

I see, so were continuing down to an even lower tunnel. Dotted lines are more vertical? I suppose the lower tunnels get dark?
Dotted lines means a bunch of tunnel between the two sections depicted. not that the diagram is to scale in the first place.

Quote:
So a spirally heptagram. Whenever we get where we're going I guess I can ask how chalk makes the Vasic light up.
Brog almost finishes the diagram, and then stops for a while. They turn off into a platform room, with a tunnel leading off of it, and then Brog finishes the chalk pattern on the stone. with a flash, the tactile divot appears in its surface, and it begins to glow. Brog leads the rest of the boys into a dark tunnel formed from vegetation.

The tunnel has much sparser light in it, but it does have some. There are lots of side tunnels. The boys peel off one by one to go to glowing stones in the side tunnels, but they seem to catch up afterwords. Brog and Ump take Julian with them on one side passage, and Brog hands a woman his money for the day. She looks at Julian long and hard, and asks what he thinks are questions about him.

Quote:

Well... There's a few way to read into 'most of the street kids appear of European descent'. One is 'they're discriminated against', another is 'there's tensions between ethnic groups'. Though there might be 'Lawin and Muggragle are a minority and/or they can move in more on the z-axis and keep to themselves'. Though between this and Graco asking about 'taller responsible people' I have a sneaking suspicion being short might be part of it. Everyone Julian's seen has been (apart from Ump and Co.) are of the four named groups, right?
No, you've seen pointed ears with pale skin rather than grey. You've also seen very small people with feathered wings (30lbs or so) and Keep watching, there are certainly tensions and a dynamic here.

If you're looking for patterns, the "europeans" seem to be the most common (maybe half the population), followed by Mugraggle. You've never see any Lawin working, only traveling or purchasing things. The people you see in here do seem to be at least mostly "europeans", though yip went in, and you think you saw someone with very dark skin.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:02 PM   #60
TGLS

Quote:
Think of the science fiction author! For the record, yes, the "Jules" I know is female.The other option I considered was "Ju".
Well my mind went to Julian/Jules Lennon. Julian's just a bit particular about nicknames.

Quote:
For now... its just skill. A gambling variant probably happens. Julian notices that they're not using any of the coins they just got for it.
I guess these coins are worth more? Maybe I've been getting short changed. Or I'm spending money like crazy. I worry a little about overspending.

Quote:
Dotted lines means a bunch of tunnel between the two sections depicted. not that the diagram is to scale in the first place.
I see. I guess the platform room below is passed the dotted line?

Quote:
Brog almost finishes the diagram, and then stops for a while. They turn off into a platform room, with a tunnel leading off of it, and then Brog finishes the chalk pattern on the stone. with a flash, the tactile divot appears in its surface, and it begins to glow. Brog leads the rest of the boys into a dark tunnel formed from vegetation.
The divot just appears? Ok...

Clearly the flow of the energy causes the Vasic to distort in a particular way. A uniformly particular way. And there's energy supplied, everywhere. Even in a tunnel made from plants.

Or maybe it's like a glow stick; you start using the battery and the disk distorts. That would explain why the same divot seems to appear.

Or I could accept this is as inexplicable as my dreams.
Quote:
The tunnel has much sparser light in it, but it does have some. There are lots of side tunnels. The boys peel off one by one to go to glowing stones in the side tunnels, but they seem to catch up afterwords.
I'll try to ask them what's over there, even if it comes out really broken like:
"What there?"
Quote:
Brog and Ump take Julian with them on one side passage, and Brog hands a woman his money for the day. She looks at Julian long and hard, and asks what he thinks are questions about him.
I know this game. Hopefully this one doesn't squeeze as much. I'll try to motion my hands to ask her to slow down, and say, "No Riask, No Riask."

Quote:
No, you've seen pointed ears with pale skin rather than grey.
Quote:
You see a woman with pointed ears changing them, taking them out of one basket, hanging them up, and placing the one taken down in another basket.
Her I guess? I think I made an assumption there.
Quote:
You've also seen very small people with feathered wings (30lbs or so)
Uh, where? "Feather" and "wing" turned up nothing. The birds from the first dream, maybe?

Quote:
Keep watching, there are certainly tensions and a dynamic here.

If you're looking for patterns, the "europeans" seem to be the most common (maybe half the population), followed by Mugraggle.
I guess it's impossible to differentiate short hairy Humans from Duwende, if there is a difference.
Quote:
You've never see any Lawin working, only traveling or purchasing things.
And kicking people around. That might be more of a clue than I thought.

I suppose I can at least infer that Yanak also work in the mine. Muggragle appear to be working as shopkeepers and middle managers. Duwende do manual labor. And Humans are all over the place doing a bit of everything?

Quote:
The people you see in here do seem to be at least mostly "europeans", though yip went in, and you think you saw someone with very dark skin.
It's a mystery. Perhaps for later.

Tags
lost in dreams