Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #1
Prince Charon

Default [RPM] The Least of Rituals

Basically, Ritual Path Magic effects with a very low energy cost, to the point that with zero Energy Reserve, an average mage could still cast them with just one energy gathering roll (so, probably not much more than 5 points of energy), that still have at least niche utility. Inspired by GURPS Magic: The Least of Spells, though if you come up with something more useful than the spells in that book with, it still fits this thread.

I thought about limiting it to rituals that only cost one point of energy, but I decided that was not permissive enough. I'm not sure what a 1-point ritual would even do. Also, sorry I don't have an example for you, I'm not great at designing RPM rituals.

Thoughts?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: [RPM] The Least of Rituals

Great idea.

I use such rituals a lot in my campaign, so I'll try to formulate something tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #3
Michael Thayne

Something like this could be useful but 5 energy is very limiting. You can make three casting rolls before incurring penalties, so you might want to think about rituals in the 15-20 energy range as well.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:15 PM   #4
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Something like this could be useful but 5 energy is very limiting. You can make three casting rolls before incurring penalties, so you might want to think about rituals in the 15-20 energy range as well.
That's fair, but note that three casting rolls is around 5-6 energy for a professional with skill 12.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:07 PM   #5
Varyon

With only 5 energy, you're typically going to be restricted to "Effect Only" rituals - that is, those that function only off of the appropriate Lesser Effect, without any modifiers added in. With that in mind, here are some ideas.

Snuff
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Energy
Inherent Modifiers: Range

Upon completion of the ritual, the caster points to any source of flame within 2 yards; so long as this source weighs less than 10 lb, the fire is extinguished. This does nothing to prevent the fire from being reignited, however.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Energy (5) + Range 2 yards (0). (1x5)=5 energy

Dispatch Vermin
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Body
Inherent Modifiers: Internal Damage, Range, Subject Weight

Upon completion of the ritual, the caster points at any creature weighing 10 lb or less within 2 yards. The creature must roll against HT; on a failure, the creature suffers 1d tox damage, ignoring DR.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Internal Damage 1d (0) + Range 2 yards (0) + Subject Weight 10 lb (0). (1x5)=5 energy

Small Animal First Aid (aka Help Mister Snuffles)
Spell Effects: Lesser Restore Body
Inherent Modifiers: Healing, Range, Subject Weight

Upon completion of the ritual, the caster points at any creature weighing 30 lb or less within 2 yards, restoring 1d HP.

Typical Casting: Lesser Restore Body (4) + Healing 1d (0) + Range 2 yards (0) + Subject Weight 30 lb (1). (1x5)=5.

Sniper's Charm
Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Mind (note you can get the same effect with Lesser Strengthen Chance)
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus

Upon completion of the ritual, the caster gains a +2 bonus to the next Aimed ranged attack made against a specific target (designated at the time of casting). This attack must be made within the next minute or the bonus is lost. An alternative version (probably renamed Shooter's Charm or similar) reduces the bonus to +1 but lasts for up to 10 minutes (due to adding Duration).

Typical Casting: Lesser Strengthen Mind (3) + Bestows a Bonus +2 (Aimed Ranged Attack against a specific target; Narrow; 2). (1x5)=5
Alternate Casting: Lesser Strengthen Mind (3) + Bestows a Bonus +1 (Aimed Ranged Attack against a specific target; Narrow; 1) + Duration 10 minutes (1). (1x5)=5

Send Message
Spell Effects: Lesser Sense Mind
Inherent Modifiers: Range (Long-Distance)

Upon completion of the ritual, the caster sends a single, brief message directly into the mind of a designated recipient, so long as said recipient is within 3 miles. An unwilling recipient (or one not expecting a message) may roll against Will to block the incoming message.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Range, 3 miles (Long-Distance; 3). (1x5)=5

Last edited by Varyon; 05-29-2021 at 10:13 PM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:39 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I would also call the "least" of rituals in the 15-20 range.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:30 AM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

There are plenty of Sense rituals that are useful at 5 points:

Where's that number-plate? Lesser Sense Matter (2), Information range 1 mile (2), duration 10 minutes (1). Total 5, no Greater effects. Lets you know the direction to a car number-plate you've seen before, if it's within a mile.

Where's a house? Lesser Sense Energy (2), Information range 1 mile (2), duration 10 minutes (1). Total 5, no Greater effects. Lets you know the direction to anywhere that electricity is being used.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rpm