Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 11-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #121
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Ok, its better, but I think we still have a ways to go. I'll start with repeat observations:

Quote:
Psi Powers should have a skill associated with them. You specified karate for the attack, but the vibration sense especially needs a skill. You can make up the name ("Slowed Observation"?) and make it a hard skill, or try to justify an existing skill (like karate). See skills from psionic powers page 5 or skills for everyone on page 162 of powers.

Quote:
The primary ranged weapon on board the ship is laser weaponry, which you can't block. This was done precisely because PK users can block bullets (though traditionally they use shields). You don't have a way to block everyone else's vision. If you're not planning to block vision, why do you have vibration sense?
So to be clear, your character lacks a method for dealing with the most common attack she will face. Unless I'm missing something and you can explain it. As a note the vibration sense with sense of perception WILL let you block bullets in the dark.

Quote:
The whole build seems a little advantage heavy. You have Fit and High Pain Threshold and Eidetic Memory and Both Gunslinger and Trained by a master. Any one of those by itself adds a little color, but altogether they are eating up a lot points that are needed to beef up the attributes.
I suppose I gave you some leeway on this one last time, but you actually added more of those advantages. I'm going to limit you to only one "cinematic master" advantage: you can have gunslinger OR trained by a master, but not both. Removing others is recommended.

Enthrallment skills like persuade are not part of this game.

Navigation (land) is an exceptionally odd choice. what do you plan to use it for?

Mind Block and Mental Strength are redundant. Also, they come out of your 100 points of psi.

Resistant (Psi +8) would be part of the 100 points of psi.

The Anti-Psi package is extremely unlikely to come up. If we had a full party, there would have been an enemy psi on board. As it stands, there isn't one: they would have shown up by now.

Your resistance to ingested drugs and poisons is occasional, with a base cost of 10, not 30. You'll probably want either a +8 or a perk called something like "Conditioned to reject psi-suppressants". The perk will only work in conjunction with the resistant advantage.

On Trained by a Master: unarmed only, isn't that a modifier from MyGurps?

"Psi" is not a valid power modifier in this game. You need to pick a specific power or two, and then get your powers and perks from there. Resistant (psi) is fine without a power modifier, if you really want to keep it.
Could you explain what you're trying to achieve with that particular psi package? we may be able to get the cost way down for you.

Lets try to get fast talk up to 12, you need something to fall back on if acting fails.
I'm curious why you switched from cutting to impaling on the innate attack.
I promise you as the GM that you don't need to switch on your innate attack in order to block with it in this game.
Striking ST is 5/level, not 1.5.

Her skills are still on the low side, though they are somewhat better.

The military clerk job needs to be associated with a section. Are you part of:

Life Support (keeping track of food, toiletries, and other vital living supplies)
Transportation (tracking what hydrogen has been moved from where)

The other jobs a clerk would work are part of the morale section or the officers, and the dreadstormers don't try to infiltrate those sections (at least not until the ship is enroute). If you can think of something specific that wouldn't be part of the morale or officers, let me know.

I'm still thinking about reliable on danger sense.

A2. Hmmm.

A few setting notes before I say anything further: HITDDAR is a criminal execution program and facility with the goal of uploading minds in a quest for immortality, the side effect of immense pain and suffering on part of the subjects, hasn't made much if any progress in decades, has no military goals, and is run by a minor regional power. I don't see any resemblance between it and A2.

Jakorbi is both small and poor compared to the Quinta Republic. The relationship is like the one between panama and the US.

The only issue I see is that if A2 as described won't have trained its agents to work undercover, and that's essential to this game. Being undercover and sneaky and clever is the core of what we're doing. The core idea of "biological experiment raised by a defunct program and folded into the dreadstormers" can work.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #122
Hide

I am working on my next character iteration. I’m writing this in case it is of help for you when I get the stuff ready.

On vibration sense
I understand, I will get a skill for vibration sense. No problem! I had doubts about it because in the book you roll perception. I am going to create the "PSI observation" skill. It will work as the observation skill, but it will also activate the power when required.

My idea is behind vibration sense is using it to detect people or items from afar, move and fight in the dark, etc.

On several skills
Alright, I will avoid "Enthrallment skills".

I will take note about mental ST/mind block; normally you get access to them with the "master" advantages that's why I did not include them in the PSI suite.

I picked navigation land because I conceived the ship as a dungeon; if I ever have to hide in the ship (for whatever reason) I can make sure I won't end in a dead end. My character with eidetic memory, absolute direction and vibration sense is probably going to be capable of moving around the ships using the ducts and getting to interesting places.

Regarding skill levels and the "many advantages"
Since I improved the character's skills in comparison to my previous build, I had the impression I would be right with the character as is now; I have seldomly played with skill levels above 13 and budgets above 200 CP in average, I am wrapping my mind around it. Reading the IC thread and your comments has been helpful! Danger sense is there to ensure survival, I will try my best to improve the character to lower the “reliable” levels, but I feel it is vital for the character. I appreciate all of your comments.

On Anti-psi
I really like the anti-psi perks "gaze into the abyss" and "personal awareness", I would like to keep them as a matter of personal taste; however, It is not my intention to cripple the party/setting or anything, I can gladly remove the perks if you insist.

On resistant
I will improve the resistant advantage (drugs/poisons) as you said.

On Trained by a Master

I employ GURPS character sheet (GCS) to build my characters; I knew of the modifier from other threads, but then I found it available in the program and considered applying it.

About the PSI modifier

The book GURPS Psionic Powers features a -10% modifier for PSI abilities; if it is not available that is OK.

Regarding the cutting attack
I started with an impaling attack, but when I was tweaking the abilities, I changed it to cutting while "testing" my build. I decided to keep the impaling attack but I did not change the name of the attack. Hence you noted that the ability was more expensive than expected.

Regarding striking ST
It has the modifier one attack only -60%. My GCS does not display modifiers unless I open the details editor; perhaps I missed adding it because here I write them manually. This is the reason I missed some notes in the first draft.

Regarding the job
If asked, Pacifica would be happy in charge of the food and all the vital supplies. As a player I would insist on working in the morale section, were the character could exploit her super memory and acquire a great deal of valuable information from doing paperwork and listening to co-workers.

I will update A2's profile, thanks for the details about HITDDAR and Jakorbi.

Finally, thanks GnomesOfZurich for your suggestions. By the way, I found the “Very positive, lots of handshakes and high fives” quirk very fun!

Last edited by Hide; 11-18-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #123
Kalzazz

Do you have another spot open? I think I am in a better state than I was earlier now
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #124
Hide

Here´s the character update:

Last edited by Hide; 12-09-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #125
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
On vibration sense
I understand, I will get a skill for vibration sense. No problem! I had doubts about it because in the book you roll perception. I am going to create the "PSI observation" skill. It will work as the observation skill, but it will also activate the power when required.
I note in your most recent draft you haven't actually put any points into this skill.

Quote:
Reading the IC thread and your comments has been helpful! Danger sense is there to ensure survival, I will try my best to improve the character to lower the “reliable” levels, but I feel it is vital for the character. I appreciate all of your comments.
There is an alternative to the reliable trait to improve this, which would be Acute Danger Sense [2/level]. The other way, of course, is to improve your Per attribute.

Quote:
About the PSI modifier

The book GURPS Psionic Powers features a -10% modifier for PSI abilities; if it is not available that is OK.
Psionic Powers has ESP, -10%, Psychic Healing, -10%, Telepathy, -10%, etc. I believe ericthered was saying that you couldn't just take Psi, -10%, it has to be part of a power.

Quote:
(2) PSI [80]
Psi: Regeneration [9];
Psi: Innate Attack (Impaling) [8]; ST-BASED (100%); Melee, Karate (-20%); AD 10 (200%); [31].
Psi: Striking ST 4 [20]; One Attack Only, Karate (-60%) [8].
Psi: Vibration Sense [10]; Sense of Perception [100%]; [20]. Vibration Sense of perception works with a PSI Observation (H) roll.
Psi Resistant [30]; All PSI, +3 to all rolls to resist (*.33) [9]
Slow Regeneration is likely part of Pyschic Healing, Innate Attack and Striking ST could be interpreted as some sort of self-directed Psychokinesis or perhaps Psychometabolism (Psionic Powers, p.75), Vibration Sense is Psychokinesis, Psi Resistant seems very much Anti-Psi, which by default is incompatible with other psi powers.

Quote:
SKILLS [120]:

(1) Combat [57]; Acrobatic Stand (Acrobatics) +0 [6]-14; Acrobatics DX+2 [12]-14; Fast-Draw (Pistol) DX+2 [1]-13; Fast-Draw/TL (Ammo) DX+2 [1]-13; Guns/TL (Pistol) DX+2 [4]-14; Guns/TL (Rifle) DX+1 [1]-13; Karate DX+6 [28]-18; TA Vitals (Karate) -2 [1]-16; Wrestling DX+0 [2]-12;

(2) Undercover [7]; Acting IQ+3 [2]-15; Disguise/TL IQ+2 [1]-14; Filch DX+2 [1]-14; Holdout IQ+2 [1]-14; Shadowing IQ+2 [1]-14; Stealth DX+2 [1]-14;

(3) Flavor [10]; Computer Operation/TL IQ+1 [2]-13; Connoisseur (Literature) IQ+0 [2]-12; Armory (B-Weapons) IQ+0 [2]-12; Singing HT+1 [4]-12;

(4) PSI Skills [20]: Mental Strength Will+2 [4]-14; Mental Strength Per+2 [12]-14; Precognitive Parry IQ+3 [4]-15; (includes bonuses from enhanced parry).

(5) Complementary [12]; Climbing DX-1 [1] 11; Fast-Talk IQ+0 [2]-12; First-Aid IQ+0 [1]-12; Forced Entry DX+0 [1]-12; Navigation-Land IQ+2 [1]-14 (features bonuses from absolute direction); Scrounging Per+1 [1]-12; Throwing DX-1 [1]-11; Traps IQ+1 [4]-13;

(6) Job [14]
Administration IQ+1 [4]-13; Savoir-Faire (Military) IQ+1 [2]-13; Soldier IQ+1 [4]-13; Writing IQ+1 [4]-13;

[/SPOILER]
You have a large number of points in skills, some of which likely could be better put into attributes. You have taken Mental Strength twice, once based on Will and once based on Per - is the latter supposed to be your Psi Observation skill? You haven't corrected the cost of your TA.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:33 PM   #126
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
(...) You have a large number of points in skills, some of which likely could be better put into attributes. You have taken Mental Strength twice, once based on Will and once based on Per - is the latter supposed to be your Psi Observation skill? You haven't corrected the cost of your TA.
Indeed, I made the changes on the GCS, but missed a few updates while transcribing to the thread.

Thanks for the coaching! I updated the skills and the IQ too (making the amendments right now).

Is there a tool to create these plaint text character sheets or do you also type the data manually?

Last edited by Hide; 11-18-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #127
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Indeed, I made the changes on the GCS, but missed a few updates while transcribing to the thread.

Thanks for the coaching! I updated the skills and the IQ too (making the amendments right now).

Is there a tool to create these plaint text character sheets or do you also type the data manually?
GURPS Character Assistant allows you to export to HTML.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:07 PM   #128
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I picked navigation land because I conceived the ship as a dungeon; if I ever have to hide in the ship (for whatever reason) I can make sure I won't end in a dead end. My character with eidetic memory, absolute direction and vibration sense is probably going to be capable of moving around the ships using the ducts and getting to interesting places.
ok, that makes sense. Though you may want to look at the floorplans: dead ends are pretty difficult to run into. The ventilation system is pretty tightly sealed: its a spaceship engineered to keep mostly sealed when giant holes are blown in it.

Quote:
Regarding skill levels and the "many advantages"
Since I improved the character's skills in comparison to my previous build, I had the impression I would be right with the character as is now; I have seldomly played with skill levels above 13 and budgets above 200 CP in average, I am wrapping my mind around it. Reading the IC thread and your comments has been helpful! Danger sense is there to ensure survival, I will try my best to improve the character to lower the “reliable” levels, but I feel it is vital for the character. I appreciate all of your comments.
Gurps has a huge range of gameplay, because it covers so much ground as far as genres go. But, consistency is a big deal in this particular genre, and being able to tank penalties is important.

Quote:
On Trained by a Master
I employ GURPS character sheet (GCS) to build my characters; I knew of the modifier from other threads, but then I found it available in the program and considered applying it.
GCS is fan-made... sometimes you should be inquisitive of stuff you find there. I happen to like mygurps, but its not actually official.
Quote:
About the PSI modifier

The modifier is -10% for all of them, and the power modifier is essentially the same for all of them, but the "power" that is chosen matters. Read start of psionic powers, page 4, under "The Power"

Quote:
Regarding striking ST
It has the modifier one attack only -60%. My GCS does not display modifiers unless I open the details editor; perhaps I missed adding it because here I write them manually. This is the reason I missed some notes in the first draft.
hmm. Four levels of one attack only striking ST feels like its part of the power. Its a little too extreme to be part of the 250 point character.

Quote:
Regarding the job
If asked, Pacifica would be happy in charge of the food and all the vital supplies. As a player I would insist on working in the morale section, were the character could exploit her super memory and acquire a great deal of valuable information from doing paperwork and listening to co-workers.
The morale and officer section were excluded from the starting situations intentionally, in order to increase the challenge, and narrow the scope. It was a scenario creation decision, not just a limitation on what the teams setting up your cover can do.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 11-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #129
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Do you have another spot open? I think I am in a better state than I was earlier now
Yes, we can add you.

Old 11-20-2020, 07:58 AM   #130
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ok, Pacifica's overall skill levels are looking much better.

Quote:
(4) PSI Skills [12]: Mental Strength Will+1 [2]-14; Mental Strength Per+1 [8]-14; Precognitive Parry IQ+2 [2]-15; (includes bonuses from enhanced parry).
You've still got mental strength listed twice. Your Psi total isn't adding up to 100, but you've also got advantages that could easily be switched to become in the psi category (danger sense, absolute direction, photographic memory -- which is what the 10 point version is called).

I'm trying to make sense of your power set, condense it down to its essence, and give you abilities beyond the simple power set you're looking at.

The bladed hand is pyschokinesis. The build you have going right now is weird, because its utilizing some fairly robust ability building tricks but not hammering it home. the ST-based build can be done for a quarter of the cost for 1 point of damage, and the missing 3 points of damage added for 6 points of Striking ST. Not that I'm suggesting that. I'm looking at ways to build this power without the ST component, possibly for less, and give some more generic PK abilities.

Vibration sense is either ESP or pyschokinesis. The trick is if you want to have precognitive parry you must have an ESP power.

regeneration is psychohealing or psychometabolism. the character sort of looks like she might have pyschometabolism, but it looks more like engineering and training, and if you have psychometabolism a lot of advantages should be moved into psi.

You're only allowed two powers, and if you want precognitive parry you need one of them to be ESP.

Quote:
(6) Job [7] Administration IQ+0 [2]-13; Savoir-Faire (Military) IQ+0 [1]-13; Soldier IQ+0 [2]-13; Writing IQ+0 [2]-13;
The job skills plus job advantages need to add up to 20, they're not "Free" to put where ever you want.