Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
cree128

Default Combining Conan and Fantasy

I love the Munchkin Conan cards and want to add them to the fantasy set however I'm not sure of the best way to do it, the classes are the same in both games so should I take some or all out? What about races, or anything else I might of missed?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Heegu

Default Re: Combining Conan and Fantasy

You probably shouldn't remove anything. As far as I know none of the cards from Conan conflict with fantasy and since you have twice as many cards removing any classes would make them extremely rare to find.
Heegu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
DoomedDuck

Don't take anything out of Conan, but don't mix Conan with anything other than the base set (Fantasy or whatever theme you like). Otherwise, the ratio of cards would be off and you wouldn't get the full effect of mixing them.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Clipper

Yeah, leave the Classes and Races in so they remain balanced. The sets do seem to blend well, although the stuff that can only be used by certain Birthrights might not get much use as those will come up much more rarely. You can certainly get away with adding one or two expansions, but I agree with DoomedDuck that too many might skew the ratios a bit.

The only real issue there is with blending the two sets is whether the Conan Races count as being Human or not. The rules are a little confusing on this point, supporting both interpretations. Andrew has agreed to look into it when he gets some more time for an official response. For further info, so you can make up your own mind while we wait for the official response, you can see the arguments for both sides here.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
LordArach

I mixed Conan with Need for Steed with great success. I did take out all of the lower level monsters, races, classes, and other duplicate stuff from NfS though.

Praise "Bob"!

Last edited by LordArach; 11-26-2012 at 09:08 PM.
LordArach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
emillang1000

For mixing Conan and Munchkin 1, I agree you don't need to take out anything.

For mixing Conan with anything past Munchkin 1, you'll probably have to remove some things.

With Conan mixed in, you have 11 copies of Wizard, Cleric, Warrior, and Thief, and only 7 copies of Ranger and Bard. In the interest of keeping everything balanced, taking out the 4 Classes is probably a good idea.

Depending on your group and your willingness to remember the Comrades/Hirelings overlap, and your willingness to deal with the near-impossibility of drawing any Brithright cards in a large Munchkin set, you could get away with using all the rest of the Conan cards besides the Classes.

My group doesn't like using cross-set rules - such as the Comrade/Hireling overlap - and would rather just use the rules as-written for less confusion. As such, we removed a fair amount of cards which make direct references to Comrades, the Comrades themselves, cards that reference Birthrights, and Birthrights themselves (those are okay, actually - though Noble makes reference to Comrades - but there are only 2 copies of each, and we have a collection of over 1000 cards there're just too few of them to be worth it).

We also, of course, removed the extra Class cards, so there are no more of any 1 Class than there are of another.

What we DID keep in are the 4 Race cards, because they MAY be considered Human Sub-Races; and even if they're not, they're good enough to warrant being included anyway (their abilities are very good in large sets, yet the relative rarity offsets them as being overpowered).

Basically, we found this:

If you want to keep Munchkin as easy-to-deal-with as just adding on a normal expansion, you have to take out a LOT of Door cards. The plus side is that almost all of the Treasures (all but 5, really) make no reference to the Conan-Only rules, so they're good-to-go as printed.

Last edited by emillang1000; 11-26-2012 at 09:53 PM.
emillang1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
cree128

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillang1000 View Post
For mixing Conan and Munchkin 1, I agree you don't need to take out anything.

For mixing Conan with anything past Munchkin 1, you'll probably have to remove some things.

With Conan mixed in, you have 11 copies of Wizard, Cleric, Warrior, and Thief, and only 7 copies of Ranger and Bard. In the interest of keeping everything balanced, taking out the 4 Classes is probably a good idea.

Depending on your group and your willingness to remember the Comrades/Hirelings overlap, and your willingness to deal with the near-impossibility of drawing any Brithright cards in a large Munchkin set, you could get away with using all the rest of the Conan cards besides the Classes.

My group doesn't like using cross-set rules - such as the Comrade/Hireling overlap - and would rather just use the rules as-written for less confusion. As such, we removed a fair amount of cards which make direct references to Comrades, the Comrades themselves, cards that reference Birthrights, and Birthrights themselves (those are okay, actually - though Noble makes reference to Comrades - but there are only 2 copies of each, and we have a collection of over 1000 cards there're just too few of them to be worth it).

We also, of course, removed the extra Class cards, so there are no more of any 1 Class than there are of another.

What we DID keep in are the 4 Race cards, because they MAY be considered Human Sub-Races; and even if they're not, they're good enough to warrant being included anyway (their abilities are very good in large sets, yet the relative rarity offsets them as being overpowered).

Basically, we found this:

If you want to keep Munchkin as easy-to-deal-with as just adding on a normal expansion, you have to take out a LOT of Door cards. The plus side is that almost all of the Treasures (all but 5, really) make no reference to the Conan-Only rules, so they're good-to-go as printed.
That was another question I had, if I made the races in Conan separate (you can have both a race from fantasy and Conan), would that make your characters too overpowered?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
emillang1000

The rules are, as-now, the same as both being a Human or already having a Race:

As soon as you become a [Dwarf/Elf/Halfling/Gnome/Orc/Lizard Guy/Centaur] Race, if you don't have Half-Breed, 1/3 Breed, Chimera, etc., then you lose whatever previous Race you were, and discard it if it's a card (you can't just keep the Conan race cards to switch back you - you MUST discard them).

---

The problem that arises stem from the nature of the worlds in the games: in Conan, there's a difference between "Generic Human" and any of the "Human Sub-Races." In Conan, because there ARE no "non-human" races like Elves and Dwarves, Monsters concern themselves with one of the 4 races, make no references to "Humans", and the world keeps spinning.

However, mix it in with OTHER Munchkin sets, and it becomes apparent that there're problems: are [Cimmerian/Stygian/Zamoran/Kushite]s "Humans" vs. Monsters who are affected by Humans, and treasures which are also affected by the qualification of "Human," or are they distinctly different?

Additionally, how do these "Human Sub-Races" work with Half-Breed et-all: are they decidedly Human, so you may be a Cimmerian-Elf, gain all of the Elf pluses and non of the minuses, and then drop the Cimmerian in place of a Dwarf card you draw later, as you normally would with just an Elf card on the Half-Breed card, or does Cimmerian ALREADY count as a second Race, thus disallowing you from discarding it AND providing you with all the Bad Stuff from being an Elf?

---

So, in answer to your question, again, no matter how you rule it - Player-esque Human or not - if you don't an N/N-Breed card, you cannot be both a Conan Race AND another Race. If you DO have an N/N-Breed card... that's still being decided how that works exactly.

Last edited by emillang1000; 11-27-2012 at 11:15 PM.
emillang1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Clipper

emillang, I think the concept of a Half-Breed Cimmerrian-Elf is clear. You get all the bonuses and penalties of both Race cards, just like Half-Breed says. The debate on whether the Conan races are also Human just deals with cards that give bonuses or penalties to Humans can still count while you are a Conan race.

Last edited by Clipper; 11-28-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cards, conan, munchkin, race/class