Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
Agemegos

Default [IC] Wear a Badge, Carry a Gun

FLAT BLACK

Wear a Badge, Carry a Gun

I don't think you understand. We aren't fooling around any more.

• Premise: The date is AD 2975: 572 years after the Destruction of Earth. The Empire has ruled the spaceways for 111 standard years, but enforcement of its Imperial Crimes Act in the colonies has until now been up to local authorities, and "Imperial raps" have been a joke. Now at last the Imperial Senate has overcome its mistrust of the Imperial executive enough to create Imperial Courts with jurisdiction and Imperial marshals with police powers in colonial territory. The Independent Commission for Justice is trammelled with protections for colonial liberties, but it is a tiger compared with the vacuity that went before. Organising the Commission, recruiting and training staff has taken three years: Now it plans to hit the ground like a thunderbolt.

• Genre: SF mysteries, mostly a hybrid of police procedurals with hard-boileds.

• Setting: FLAT BLACK, a star-spanning dystopia optimised for rationalised planetary romances and a dark and cynical tone. More precisely, the party are posted as the ICfJ bureau on the planet Rohan.

• Dramatis personae:
    • Agemegos (GM)
    • Icelander (Senior Investigator Specter Hart)
    • jmurrell (Investigator Dmitri Feodorovich Karapyetchenko)
    • ladyarcana55 (Investigator Kiloni Queldrona)
    • t@nya (Investigator Penthesilea Drake

• System:
    • GURPS 4e
    • Space
    • Mysteries
    • Ultra-Tech
    • Bio-Tech

• Related threads
    • This thread is for the actual events of the adventures. Only players ought to post here, and see "Procedure" below.
    • The thread for co-ordinating character's actions, discussing the events of the game, and throwing peanuts (but not at the viking hat) is [OOC] Wear a Badge, Carry a Gun.
    • The thread for questions, answers, and discussion of the GURPS stats of weapons, armour, and equipment is [Ultra-Tech] Weapons and kit for Flat Black.
    • The thread for discussing the setting of the adventures, FLAT BLACK itself, places in it such as Rohan, and institutions such as the ICfJ, is Background Flat Blackening.

• Procedure:
    My intended schedule is to post at 00:01 GMT on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I'd like eighteen hours to compose my responses, so I'll ask each player to post at least once in response to each of my postings, once by 6:00 GMT Tuesday, once by 6:00 Thursday, and once by 6:00 Sunday. If you miss a deadline the world won't end, but I might not be able to take your character's actions into account in my ply.

Player posts may be in first or third person. Narrative goes in plain text. Speech may be either reported or quoted, as seems good to you. Direct quotes should be in block-indented italics, and headed with the name of the character speaking in boldface, not indented. Where necessary, an indication of the character being addressed goes in parentheses after the name of the character speaking, in plain type. E.g.

Milo Suract (to Penny)
    Pah! What are you going to do about it? Murdering Lillian is no Imperial offence, and I have a pardon from Governor Budreau for "any and all offences, crimes and misdemeanours" that I might have committed during my terms as police commissioner.
    Penny
    "Get 'em for the cover-up." The excavator you used to dig the grave was an Imperial asset, and the building site was Imperial property. I'm going to have you mindwiped for misappropriating fuel, use of Imperial assets for an improper purpose, and littering.

Feel free to extrapolate inevitable events, and the presence, actions, and dialogue of spear-carriers and other minor characters. Even routine dialogue for significant characters. The worst that can happen is that I ask you to revise, right?

I will often handle game mechanics (die-rolls etc.) myself. That is, rather than waste a ply asking you to make a die roll I will make the roll myself. Players should give a statement of intent in world terms. I will translate it into game mechanics, apply the resolution system, and report the results.

In 9,401 I reported the game mechanics between "[fnord]" tags, but it was rather tedious, and I'm inclined not to mention game mechanics very much in WaBCaG, except perhaps for reporting mechanical effects on characters (ie. hit points of damage, knockdown, &c.)

I will accept conditional statements of intent. Feel free to outline tactics as far in advance as seems good to you. I will let the stated course of action run as far as is possible and appropriate, and you can revise out the excess after you see my reply.

Take a deep breath. It may be your last.

Commencement in about three hours.

Last edited by Agemegos; 04-20-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat black, mysteries, planetary romance, sci-fi, ultra-tech