Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
Michael Hopcroft

Default Re: Tell us about your IOU Setting or Experience

The IOU adventure I was in at a GenCon years back was quite funny. It involved all sorts of time traveling shenanigans, including a PC trying to flirt with Spock, the use of a wad of $100 bills as a psychological torture device, and a startling revelation about the origins of legendary megacorp GENOM.

RIP Elisabeth Sladen 1948-2011
RIP Nicholas Courtney 1929-2011
Michael Hopcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

The GM in question has claimed, at times, that he has the No Sense Of Humor disad. *gives him a shiftyeyed look*
Old 03-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
milliken

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash
On the day I started working at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado, I noticed that the faces on the campus clock tower all read different times.
Actually this is a widespread meme for college tower clocks, so you can consider it a running gag, I suppose.
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #14
milliken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft
The IOU adventure I was in at a GenCon years back was quite funny. It involved all sorts of time traveling shenanigans, including a PC trying to flirt with Spock, the use of a wad of $100 bills as a psychological torture device, and a startling revelation about the origins of legendary megacorp GENOM.
Sadly, the only part I remember from that game was the GENOM bit, though I do recall it as one of the more memorable appearances of Jonathan Lirden III. I hate to admit it, but I've totally forgotten what the plot of that game was (it probably was intended to have at least the beginnings of one, though I tended to make them up as I went along).
Old 03-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #15
milliken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
The GM in question has claimed, at times, that he has the No Sense Of Humor disad. *gives him a shiftyeyed look*
Since I wrote that disad, I should know....
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #16
Michael Hopcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliken
Sadly, the only part I remember from that game was the GENOM bit, though I do recall it as one of the more memorable appearances of Jonathan Lirden III. I hate to admit it, but I've totally forgotten what the plot of that game was (it probably was intended to have at least the beginnings of one, though I tended to make them up as I went along).
IIRC, the group was supposed to have lunch with the ArchDean and got lost in time instead. I was playing Lirden and he certainly had a memorable time (flip, flip, flip).

RIP Elisabeth Sladen 1948-2011
RIP Nicholas Courtney 1929-2011
Michael Hopcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #17
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Swomi flirted a tricorder out of Spock... Something in tunnels... "I... OWN... Genom???" Drat, I'm blanking on something that was in the middle...
Old 03-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
milliken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrale
I bought IOU when it dropped to $9.95 and it's pretty neat.
Thanks!

Quote:
Tell us about your experiences with gaming it from either the GM or player perspective.
Most of mine wound up in the adventure seed section. "One Card to Rule the Mall", "The Spamish Inquisition", and "Ya Can't Get Heah From Theah!" were all from games I ran at conventions before the IOU book was even thought of. ("YCGHFT" was actually the first instance of IOU, run at Gencon sometime in the late 1980s, I recall. At that time, I referred to it as "the weird modern game".)

Quote:
Anyone tried to make it a bit more gritty ? (less wacky)
Actually, no. At least at conventions, it's much easier to run the weird or silly versions. It would be easier to do the dark version (or a darker weird version) with a regular campaign, but I actually have never done that.... (You Have Been Warned!)

Quote:
God I hope Kromm sees this, I'd like to know his take on IOU.
I've never dared ask him....
Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #19
milliken

Quote:
IIRC, the group was supposed to have lunch with the ArchDean and got lost in time instead.
Sounds fairly plausible, in an IOU-ish sort of way.

Quote:
I was playing Lirden and he certainly had a memorable time (flip, flip, flip).
As I recall, so did his butler, but then Jeeves often would up getting a lot of exercise in the IOU convention games.

Hmmm... I missed a bet -- I should have made him a relative of George the Janitor.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #20
AOTA

I remember that Gencon game. I don't think I was playing but I do remember stopping by and watching it. The GENOM part triggered my memory. It was very fun to just sit and listen to all the players reactions.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
girl genius, swomi tift