Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Pyramid #3/105: Cinematic Magic

That extra sentence would mean cutting one from something else.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #12
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That extra sentence would mean cutting one from something else.
Well, not necessarily. Wordcount is a goal, but not an absolute straightjacket (heck, in this issue, Steven asked me to add another spell because the article wasn't quite filling a page as it was). So, philosophyguy, I take your point - next time, I'll try to make the example a bit clearer.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Well, not necessarily. Wordcount is a goal, but not an absolute straightjacket (heck, in this issue, Steven asked me to add another spell because the article wasn't quite filling a page as it was). So, philosophyguy, I take your point - next time, I'll try to make the example a bit clearer.
I always end up adding a lot after criticism, and then having to cut back to a reasonable word count.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #14
philosophyguy

Now that I've had some more time to read the issue, I have some more substantive reflections.

Super-Sorcery: I like the concept of this article. Now that I understand some of the math, I like the idea of using fatigue to power extra effort levels. I don't know if I like the super-simultaneity rules as much; I haven't tried them in play but my gut sense is that there would be too much bookkeeping/calculating for it to flow smoothly. I'm intrigued by the suggestions for alternative rituals and the example spells are helpful in seeing how Sorcery powers can be built. The example super-sorcerer template, however, really drives home how awful default GURPS template presentation is. It's literally a 2 page wall of text, broken over three pages, with nigh-impossible-to-scan chunks of traits and skill packages.

Chi Sorcery: Good worked examples, but I'm still worried that the time restrictions on improvisation make this system unappealing for play. I do like the unstable chi rules - that's a good use of the mechanics to model a genre flavor.

Theo-Necromancy: I'm intrigued by the idea and can see stealing this for an ongoing campaign. I like the adventure seeds. I wonder if having a spell resisted by a god's Will (which is presumably very high) is likely to be useful; I would have liked to see options for additional modifiers to give the PCs bonuses for that casting.

Gourmet Alchemy: I haven't run a game with a serious alchemy component in a while, but the rules seem straightforward. I'm curious where "study for 2 seconds per point of ability" comes from - it seems kind of random, and I'm having a hard time visualizing a reference point for which that kind of timeframe makes sense. Absent that element, I can see using this material in a game in which a player wants to be an alchemist.

Random Thoughts: Some good GM advice in here. Many of these ideas seem obvious, but there's value in having a concise reminder of options to handle cinematic ideas. I would have liked to see a little more concrete advice on how to encourage players to try the crazy thing and then set reasonable parameters for how to implement said crazy (e.g., what should guide the GM in deciding that it takes 100 points of magical fire damage to burn between the dimensions?).

Appendix Z: I think this article is conflating two things: introducing magic-dependent impulse buys and distinguishing heroic characters from ordinary characters. The former idea is interesting. I don't think the latter is worked out in a way that makes sense, at least to me.
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #15
philosophyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Wordcount is a goal, but not an absolute straightjacket (heck, in this issue, Steven asked me to add another spell because the article wasn't quite filling a page as it was). So, philosophyguy, I take your point - next time, I'll try to make the example a bit clearer.
Agreed - in fact, if wordcount comes at the expense of clarity, then the priorities are in the wrong order. Thanks for being open to the critical feedback. I do notice this kind of too-concise wording in a number of places throughout the GURPS line, which is why I want to flag it for the editors as a concrete example to learn from. GURPS has enough of a bad reputation for being inaccessible, so I suggest that it's worth making sure that examples are clear to follow rather than risking reinforcing that stereotype.
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #16
mikeejimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophyguy View Post
Gourmet Alchemy: I haven't run a game with a serious alchemy component in a while, but the rules seem straightforward. I'm curious where "study for 2 seconds per point of ability" comes from - it seems kind of random, and I'm having a hard time visualizing a reference point for which that kind of timeframe makes sense. Absent that element, I can see using this material in a game in which a player wants to be an alchemist.
You have PK to thank for the rules being clear. When I initially wrote it, it was more complicated. Seeing his edits I kicked myself - it was far simpler than I was making it!

The two seconds per point of ability is from Super-Memorization plus Takes Extra Time 1. In this step, the Alchemist is essentially looking through the cookbook for the right recipe. Actually preparing the Elixir takes more time. It seemed reasonable that for a 30-point power, it would take a minute to figure out which recipe could be adapted to be alchemically meaningful.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #17
Fossilized Rappy

I'm overjoyed to see more Sorcery articles, as it's definitely my favorite GURPS magic system, bar none. I'm also loving Gourmet Alchemy's alternative alchemy system.
Fossilized Rappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:24 PM   #18
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophyguy View Post
Theo-Necromancy: I'm intrigued by the idea and can see stealing this for an ongoing campaign. I like the adventure seeds. I wonder if having a spell resisted by a god's Will (which is presumably very high) is likely to be useful; I would have liked to see options for additional modifiers to give the PCs bonuses for that casting.
It's worth noting that most mages who are ready to take on this kind of feat will have spells at skill-20 or even 25, and generally will be used to being limited more by the Rule of 16 than by their actual spell level. So going up against a god with Will 20+ would be doable, if a bit of a challenge.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:54 PM   #19
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
It's worth noting that most mages who are ready to take on this kind of feat will have spells at skill-20 or even 25, and generally will be used to being limited more by the Rule of 16 than by their actual spell level. So going up against a god with Will 20+ would be doable, if a bit of a challenge.
Im a player in a long fantasy campaign where we are above 1000 points and fighting dragons is still pretty dangerous. I shudder to think about the will scores that gods would have.

We use a cap of 40 pts invested in a single skill, and magery only up to 4, the most spellcasting focused races can easily have magery 4 and IQ around 25 with items and just dumping points on it.

Thats 39 with spellbound in a spell, 38 if its very hard. But you could hit 40 with some magical items or secret words. On the other hand, wizards often have 20-30 willpower, so I expect a deity to have a will score of at least 35, if its bellow that, hes weaker than an archmage, and well, should be something a capable magician is able to roll over.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #20
Crystalline_Entity

I've just bought this issue, and it's got not one, but two things I was looking for but didn't even realise it. I expected the Super-Sorcery article to be great and it didn't disappoint, it's got some useful ways of enhancing sorcery in it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Gourmet Alchemy article, reading the preview I wasn't sure it would be something I'd use, but it turns out to be (effectively) a character point-based alchemy system, which is something I've been wondering how to do for ages. It's missing a way of costing elixirs for purchase from an NPC alchemist, but I think (hope) I can work out how to do that myself.
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid, pyramid 3/105