Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Ritual Path Magic already has supplements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
The only thing I can say about that is that I took Antoni's Warrior Saint and now actively PLAY one in a DF campaign. The highest praise I can think of for a Pyramid article is "I use this in play."
Let's avoid derailing PK's thread here, just let me say that knowing you use my stuff and love it is the highest praise you can give me :)

Back to RPM, I personally think that it should be the standard magic system for 5e :)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Let's avoid derailing PK's thread here...
Back to RPM, I personally think that it should be the standard magic system for 5e :)
Actually, this thread is about how awesome Pyramid is and why everyone would find useful... Especially in relation to RPM. :)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Actually, this thread is about how awesome Pyramid is and why everyone would find useful... Especially in relation to RPM. :)
Someone should ask you a question about your thoughts on this, and record them on video or something. For posterity.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Someone should ask you a question about your thoughts on this, and record them on video or something. For posterity.
...you know. Like you do...

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
Kalzazz

Bottled Magic - More rituals is very nice, and the Alchemy rules were interesting and I allow them in my game, however, the lack of 'Potions as Shopping' hurt, and also, Alchemy is still to closely tied to RPM Magic (what with magery requirements and following same rules mostly and all) that it doesn'[t seem very different . . . . I really like the GURPS Magic potions (and the other potions from Pyramid), and thus, I still much prefer my own homekludged alchemy rules (which are heavily inspired by a horrible trainwreck of trying to combine GURPS Magic alchemy and RPK's mygurps DF Alchemy)

One particle thing of much interest in it was the idea of granting 'Spendable CP' with a spell

Metatronic Generators - shopping based magic items?! Hey, this definitely needs some serious checking out . . . . I read this article but didn't think very much about it at the time, I'll need to reread it

Magical Tradecraft - I enjoyed the extra examples of done up rituals, but Ill admit Im just not very interested in spies and assassins so wasn't a theme I was into

Onomancy - An amusing idea though I haven't been able to apply it anywhere.

Bibliomancy - its not RPM, but I dont care, it is Awesome! Awesome! It needs an RPM sequel

The Old Ways - These are some great spells and are mostly low powered handy spells I can really see people using! I love 'Bewitched Basketry', it is just the sort of awesome spell that GURPS is known for such as Haircut that really gives depth and flavor to a setting. I like the random plant namer and the Herb Lore rules to!

Hunting the Cabal - I haven't gotten around to this one yet sorry
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Bottled Magic - More rituals is very nice, and the Alchemy rules were interesting and I allow them in my game, however, the lack of 'Potions as Shopping' hurt, and also, Alchemy is still to closely tied to RPM Magic (what with magery requirements and following same rules mostly and all) that it doesn'[t seem very different . . . . I really like the GURPS Magic potions (and the other potions from Pyramid), and thus, I still much prefer my own homekludged alchemy rules (which are heavily inspired by a horrible trainwreck of trying to combine GURPS Magic alchemy and RPK's mygurps DF Alchemy)
Fun fact: I had to cut the bits on elixirs not occupying condition spell slots. It made it into RPM though.

Quote:
One particle thing of much interest in it was the idea of granting 'Spendable CP' with a spell
That would be my girlfriends idea - she's clever, evil, and way to smart for her own good. In short, I love the hell out of that girl and she's a fantastic gamer. Most of my work is piped through her or comes from her saying "I want to do X in GURPS, help please," or "Lookie what I made, dear" and that least me to drooling on the carpet in nerd-lust of her idea.

Quote:
Metatronic Generators - shopping based magic items?! Hey, this definitely needs some serious checking out . . . . I read this article but didn't think very much about it at the time, I'll need to reread it
See the guide I posted above - I banged that out this afternoon and should cover most issues with melding the two systems.

Quote:
Magical Tradecraft - I enjoyed the extra examples of done up rituals, but Ill admit Im just not very interested in spies and assassins so wasn't a theme I was into
It's a staple of most campaigns I run. I have maybe 300 or 400 more original spells that I'll filter into articles, I just need a proper theme.

Quote:
The Old Ways - These are some great spells and are mostly low powered handy spells I can really see people using! I love 'Bewitched Basketry', it is just the sort of awesome spell that GURPS is known for such as Haircut that really gives depth and flavor to a setting. I like the random plant namer and the Herb Lore rules to!
The plant namer is She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed's idea as well. I think I was running a GURPS Elfquest game and used it there to create fun, new, and interesting plants for her plant shaper character.

And for the general record, I have a veritable army of fantastic people who help me whip my articles into shape. I wouldn't be half as good without their amazing input and willingness to bash the hell out of my articles till they bleed. :-)

Edit: stupid thing ate the last part of my post; Thank you Kalzazz for taking the time to offer your thoughts. It means a lot.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
PK

I just want to thank the HECK out of Kalzazz for actually critiquing each article. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to see!

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #18
dataweaver

In terms of RPM's "supplements": I posted my critique of the Bottled Magic rules not long after the article first came out; I'm happy to see that it had an impact on the revised version found in RPM. At this point, I consider the original Bottled Magic article to be of historical significance only: use the version found in RPM instead.

RPM also has rules for "Slow and Sure Enchanting". The rules are based on the Improvement Through Study rules (i.e., 200 hours of work gets you a character point's worth of enchantment); so the only thing that's needed from the Metatronic Generators article are the points-to-cash conversion; and frankly, even that could come from other sources. Impulse Buys has a points-for-cash option in it, which could be run in reverse: have one point of enchantment cost 10% of the campaign average starting cash.

I am somewhat disappointed that the Enchantment system was almost entirely divorced from the RPM system: it's actually "buy an equivalent of your ritual's effects as item-limited Powers". It's nice; but it has about as much to do with RPM as it has to do with regular Magic. I'd rather see something that's based on the Charm Creation rules, but slowed way down to account for the fact that the enchantment is permanent: something like what the "alchemical talismans and charms" rules in Magic do for the default Alchemy system. What follows is an example of how it might be done:

Shift the energy accumulation rolls from five seconds or minutes to one eight-hour day per roll (with Ritual Adept being useless for speeding things up); the time isn't spent on accumulating the energy so much as carefully weaving the energy into the item's form, which takes a lot longer. Rules for using these items could be derived from the equivalent part of the aforementioned "alchemical charms" rules, with the "talisman recharge time" being based on how many multiples of the creator's Safe Threshold (RPM page 26) the ritual's energy cost is.

I haven't had the opportunity to pick up the other articles referenced, so I can't comment on them yet.

Last edited by PK; 10-07-2013 at 03:58 PM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #19
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
… so the only thing that's needed from the Metatronic Generators article are the points-to-cash conversion; and frankly, even that could come from other sources. …
There's a points-for-cash mechanic right in the Basic Set: $1,000 per point for abilities which require skilled procedures and recovery time (Surgical Modifications, p. B295), or $2,000 or more per point for "instant" ability acquisition (Supernatural Modifications, p. B295).
munin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #20
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Shift the energy accumulation rolls from five seconds or minutes to one eight-hour day per roll (with Ritual Adept being useless for speeding things up); the time isn't spent on accumulating the energy so much as carefully weaving the energy into the item's form, which takes a lot longer. Rules for using these items could be derived from the equivalent part of the aforementioned "alchemical charms" rules, with the "talisman recharge time" being based on how many multiples of the creator's Safe Threshold (RPM page 26) the ritual's energy cost is.
I really like this idea. I'd been playing around with introducing Raw Magic (as per Thaumatology) for making enchantments, but I think I'm going to play around with this idea instead (or possibly in addition).
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid, ritual path magic