Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #31
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Pyramid Support for Ritual Path Magic (and other books)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Bumping this up so I can find all the links.

Obligatory new post, how does one create a sword +1 (both to hit and damage)? I'm not at my computer, so I can't browse through my stash, but I would prefer advantage-based enchanted items over Magic hardcover enchanted items, and I'm not sure how to create an advantage that grants fixed to hit and damage (instead of Arm ST).
You'd make it as an Innate Attack with Reliable.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #32
Humabout

Quote:
Bumping this up so I can find all the links.

Obligatory new post, how does one create a sword +1 (both to hit and damage)? I'm not at my computer, so I can't browse through my stash, but I would prefer advantage-based enchanted items over Magic hardcover enchanted items, and I'm not sure how to create an advantage that grants fixed to hit and damage (instead of Arm ST).
The RAW way, as given by PK himself in Divine Favor, is to use Innate Attack (Follow-Up, Universal, +50%) to add the damage. Adding the +1 to skill can be done a few ways. The least gimmicky way would be to either grant a 1-skill talent, which by the optional rule in Power-Ups: Talents, could be as cheap as [1]. You could also use Racial Talent [2], if [1] is too cheap for your taste. Or you could make up a custom advantage that happens to always cost the points needed to raise your current skill by one level. Personally, I don't like that last one. Its messy and inelegant.

A general note on this is that Innate Attack, once reduced to +1 damage, would cost between [2] and [4], with gadget limitations reducing prices to at best, half that. Plus 1-2 points for skill, and you're looking at [3] to [6] points for a +1 enchantment. That could buy you between $1500 and $3000 in signature gear, for reference. Higher enchantment levels will have somewhat nonlinear increases is opportunity cost.

Finally, weapons with multiple damage types should have multiple instances of Inmate Attack as alternate advantages, for an additional cost of [1] to [2]. Remember that you round costs UP after multipliers.

I hope this helps!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #33
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I was thinking pricing the +1 to skill as [4] (and if that is overkill at low skill levels, tough).

One thing I'm trying (in my headcanon "thought experiments") to bring in from WoW is heirloom items. They're items limited to one family (or, in the case of WoW, one account), that grow with their user.

I recall (on Ravens & Pennies, or some other discussion) that there was a limitation for "one family," a hefty limitation. (I think it was on one of the blog posts of metatronic generators.) It makes me wonder if it's possible to add the Ally (25% of CP total) limitation for [1], so that as the user grows, they can slowly add new features.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #34
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I was thinking pricing the +1 to skill as [4] (and if that is overkill at low skill levels, tough).

One thing I'm trying (in my headcanon "thought experiments") to bring in from WoW is heirloom items. They're items limited to one family (or, in the case of WoW, one account), that grow with their user.

I recall (on Ravens & Pennies, or some other discussion) that there was a limitation for "one family," a hefty limitation. (I think it was on one of the blog posts of metatronic generators.) It makes me wonder if it's possible to add the Ally (25% of CP total) limitation for [1], so that as the user grows, they can slowly add new features.
Nothing stops you from adding stuff to the item as it goes from user to user. You could justifiably say that each time its passed on it gains X number of points. You could even make it a trait that the user puts points into over a lifetime. Say an alternate ability of Magery and it only activates upon death. So every point you spend in it while you live gives you 1 x 5 x 5 when the user dies. You'd probably need to spend time activating it or whatever via enchantment, of course.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid, ritual path magic