Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
Mylon

Default Re: RPG books how much would you pay

I'm a digital fan through and through. That said, I have come to thoroughly enjoy a hyperlinked website far more than an actual rule book. Me and my friends have been playing Pathfinder, all browsing different sections of the SRD, sometimes each of us browsing multiple sections simultaneously. PDFs are nice to have, but they seem fairly unwieldy, taking a long time to render and navigate, especially on my netbook. Is what I find really lacking is the ability to easily flip back and forth between sections and find specific chapters without memorizing the page numbers.

The SRD extremely streamlines play. "Okay, I'm gonna cast Summon Monster 3 and get a... Celestial Tiger! What're the stats on this? *clicks link* Okay, good to go!" Practically indispensable now. Unfortunately for Paizo, we all find the SRD to be TOO convenient, and none of us have bought the actual book.

In the paper realm, I have recently purchased Savage Worlds since I've been enjoying the system and the rulebook is only $10.

Last edited by Mylon; 01-20-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Mylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylon View Post
Unfortunately for Paizo, we all find the SRD to be TOO convenient, and none of us have bought the actual book.
There's a hypertext version of the Pathfinder rules? Can you link to it?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #13
Mylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
There's a hypertext version of the Pathfinder rules? Can you link to it?
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

It includes the core book plus the advanced player's guide, including class variants and the new classes.
Mylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:25 AM   #14
Jürgen Hubert

I most I've ever paid for a book was for the Ptolus hardcover which was IIRC about $100, plus shipping. But since that was a 700+ pages full-color hardcover with great production values, I considered it worth it.

Generally, I'm not someone very willing to pay more for old books than what they originally were sold for. The only books I would have been tempted in that regard are the Delta Green books, and since I already bought all of them when they were first published there was no need.

In general, if I am interested in older books I will just buy their PDFs instead - which is increasingly the case with many of them (Steve Jackson Games and White Wolf are not the only ones doing that). They are often much cheaper this way, and unlike I actually use them regularly in play I don't really need a physical copy.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 AM   #15
sjard
Stick in the Mud

For me it would depend on

A) How much I personally value the item,

B) How hard it is to find a copy (if there several dozen copies that are way overpriced, then no)

C) How much use I'd get from it.

D) How much I can afford to spend.

Right now, there is a boxed set of an old FASA board game box that I haven't seen for sale in years up on amazon. I really wish I had the $100 they are asking. Even if the original set didn't cost more than about $30 when it came out.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #16
Libris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
I most I've ever paid for a book was for the Ptolus hardcover which was IIRC about $100, plus shipping. But since that was a 700+ pages full-color hardcover with great production values, I considered it worth it.
Yeah, I got that one as well but they did a crazy pay monthly kind of deal on it if I remember so it didn't seem that expensive at the time.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
nightgaunt98c

For me it really just depends on what it is, and how much money I can spare for a game book. Usually not alot. If it was one I really wanted, or was planning to use alot, then I would definitely pay more. But cheap pdf's are my friend.
nightgaunt98c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #18
Captain Vicarious

Like others, I am getting into pdf's. I might still buy the occasional book, but I'm definitely not going to pay "collector's item" prices. For instance, I used to have the D20 Wheel of Time rpg book. It got stolen some years back. But it'll be a cold day in Hell before I pay $100 or more for another one.
Captain Vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
jacobmuller

I think I paid $40 for a first boxed edition Stormbringer, still in original shrink-wrap.
I paid $10 for a boxed Ringworld and got the Companion free inside, at a time when they were selling for $180 each on e-bay.
Paid $15 for a pristine RQII paperback the week after I saw a cellotaped together mess going for over $50.

Bought, puely to resell, a Warhammer supplement for 75c and sold it for $12.

Best I've ever been paid was $50 for the original Bunnies & Burrows (cost $15). Worst was $1.00 for a 1970's Star Wars Tie Fighter and X-Wing, but I got them free.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #20
baakyocalder

I paid about $50 for the main Aces & Eights book and about $70 (including shipping) for the Hacklopedia of Beasts preorder deal (includes a beta PDF). That's about as much as I'd pay for most new RPG books. These are big hardcover books with leather covers.

Used, I'd pay a little more for a book I really liked. Gaming books are a good value for me compared to other entertainment, but I like learning a little bit about different systems and things, so unless it's a line I collect, I prefer to buy at a discount instead of eBay highway robbery.

Which is why I buy a lot from e23; I save storage space and get the book I want at a cost that's not too hard on the wallet.

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, ebay, rpg