Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #11
Chris Rice

Default Re: TFT Conversion for new Nordlond Bestiary

I don’t understand why the TFT conversion unlocks at such a high (and unlikely to be reached) value. I don’t play GURPS or Dungeon Fantasy so the book is of no use to at all me in its initial form. Why not have the TFT conversion available at a much lower value and get many more TFT players on board?
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:42 PM   #12
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I don’t understand why the TFT conversion unlocks at such a high (and unlikely to be reached) value. I don’t play GURPS or Dungeon Fantasy so the book is of no use to at all me in its initial form. Why not have the TFT conversion available at a much lower value and get many more TFT players on board?
The short version is that I had all the stretch goals set and published and the campaign was live before Steve and I chatted about the TFT conversion.

The TFT book isn't just a copy/paste. It's going over every creature in the book and editing/creating the TFT stats, AND it's a complete re-edit because of the cosmology of Cidri is vastly different than that of the Powered by GURPS version. Plus it's an entirely separate layout and form factor (8.5x11 vs 8x10; B/W interior vs full color), and a separate print run. The logistics of arranging a physical printing PDF of two separate large-format products with uncertain manufacturing locations and shipping costs were too much to take on after the project had launched.

If there's a lesson here, it's never reveal the full stretch goals ahead of time, like I did, so if the project is worthy I can move things around. More realistically, avoid scope creep.

But after that first day, there was a lot of exuberance around the trajectory...so I put it on at the end, as something I would absolutely do, after all of the goals announced to the original target audience were fulfilled.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:27 AM   #13
larsdangly

Perhaps add a conversion to the list of possible future TFT stand-alone projects?I am sure an investment of work, time and costs required, but there must be a price point that would make it worth while.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #14
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Perhaps add a conversion to the list of possible future TFT stand-alone projects?I am sure an investment of work, time and costs required, but there must be a price point that would make it worth while.
Oh, absolutely! The question is sequencing. I mean, it's a big editing job, but it's not creation de novo. Basically, the stretch goal is a guarantee that said book would be immediately next in the queue.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote