Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2021, 08:50 PM   #1
cptbutton

Default Centrum Services

I've gotten to wondering about the Centrum Services. I did some searches and here is what I've come up with:

Centrum Services, canonical:

Agriculture
Ecology
Education
Energy
Health
Interworld
Justice
Logistics
Military
Mining
Transport
Uplift
Old 01-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #2
cptbutton

Default Re: Centrum Services

References:

IW:

Quote:
Anyone showing psionic aptitude is channeled into a special program run by several Services – the Interworld Service essentially drafts world-jumpers, along with teleporters and astral projectors.
(p. 49)

Quote:
In practice it (the Interworld Service) delegates much of the routine transport among the safe zones to the various industrial Services, but otherwise jealously guards its monopoly.
(p. 52)

Quote:
There are hundreds of Services, some of which employ only a few hundred thousand people. The most powerful Services are Agriculture, Education, Energy, Health, Interworld, Justice, and Logistics. The Military Service is poised to become more important with Centrum’s new interventionism, as is the new Uplift Service
(p. 54).

AE2:
Quote:
There is no single “Security Service.” The Justice Service handles crime, and trespassing or possession of unauthorized items are crimes, but the other Services handle their own building and equipment security and many don’t like to call in Justice.
(p. 114)
Old 01-16-2021, 08:53 PM   #3
cptbutton

Other “Services”
Non-Centrum Services:

InfinityPatrol:
Penetration Service
Intervention Service
Scout Service?

United Kingdom (Homeline):
Special Conveyor Service
Old 01-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #4
cptbutton

Some comments and observations.

Agriculture - I'd assume this includes fishing and ranching also. Would hunting be a significant food source for Centrum?

Ecology - Pollution control, obviously. Did Terraustralis (Australia) have similar invasive species problems? Is the Ecology Service uptight about that to this day? Do they do the weather reporting?

Education - Runs the Lyceums, which is everyone from age 10 to 16, so it is huge. Probably runs primary schools also. Does it do any post-secondary education, or is that all part of the respective Services? How much inter-disciplinary academic work is there?

Energy

Health - Obviously medical care, but likely cares about fitness and lifestyles also.

Who actually cooks and serves the food Agriculture produces? Agriculture, Health, a Nutrition Service, or just a subdivision of the predominant Service in a location?

Interworld

Justice

Logistics - Do they do manufacturing, or just storage and distribution?

If not Logistics, how consolidated or divided are the industrial and production Services?

Military - Has never fought a peer competitor, so may be more about counter-insurgency and conquering lower tech opponents.

Mining - Always bickering with Ecology?

Transport - Heavily involved with Logistics, obviously.

Uplift
Old 01-16-2021, 09:15 PM   #5
cptbutton

Speculative Services:

Evaluation - One I am working on as the reason Centrum Light is Light. More later.

Information or News - Is this part of Education or its own thing? How much importance does Centrum put on having people know what is going on in the worlds?
Old 01-17-2021, 07:58 AM   #6
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Agriculture - I'd assume this includes fishing and ranching also. Would hunting be a significant food source for Centrum?
I don't see it; it's desperately inefficient in terms of resources expended per edible calorie. On the other hand, we know Centrum's population is still "small" after the big die-off post 1902, so they probably aren't feeling the pressure for living space that many advanced worlds do.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
centrum, infinte worlds