Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 10-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
123girr

Default Level 11?

K, so me and my cousin were playing Munchkin, and he put down a card to level up just before he killed a monster. As soon as two and a half seconds passed, I played Divine Intervention and he leveled up to level 11. No longer level 10, would he be considered to win, or to not possibly win?
What do you guys think?
123girr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
DoomedDuck

Default Re: Level 11?

I'm assuming that he was a cleric. If so, he would become level 10 as soon as you played DI and the game would be over then. He would no longer be fighting the monster. But, for sake of completeness, a person would still win if they got to level 11 or 12, etc. It doesn't have to be exactly 10. This could happen if facing multiple monsters in the final combat or facing a monster that rewarded 2 levels.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123girr View Post
K, so me and my cousin were playing Munchkin, and he put down a card to level up just before he killed a monster. As soon as two and a half seconds passed,
You don't have to wait two and a half seconds to interfere with his combat. He has to give you a reasonable time before he declares victory.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
UncleBob

Also - how do you wait to play Divine Intervention? You have to play it as soon as it's drawn...?
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
collinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
Also - how do you wait to play Divine Intervention? You have to play it as soon as it's drawn...?
Yeah I'm confused on this whole thread. You can play a go up a level card during combat?
collinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinc View Post
Yeah I'm confused on this whole thread. You can play a go up a level card during combat?
You can play a Go Up a Level card at any time. However, if you play it during combat, it resets the "reasonable time" counter and gives your opponents a chance to react.

Good catch on Divine Intervention, UncleBob -- I was so wrapped up in the whole "you aren't required to wait 2.5 seconds" thing that I totally spaced on the other.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Beyond all the other confusing issues: If you're not playing an Epic game, or don't have some other card affecting the end game rules, there is no Level 11. Once you hit Level 10, that's it, game over.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
DoomedDuck

I totally overlooked Divine Intervention as well. Oops.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
123girr

Ok, lots of confusion so far, first off, I waited 2.5 secconds so that the resonable time counter wouldn't reset. That was the entire point. Seccondly, There is nothing that says you can't go above level 10..... so I think that that is legit. Third, the divine intervention does not have to be played immediatly IF you draw it face down as a loot (at least I think, its been a house rule at my place)
Old 10-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
123girr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomedDuck View Post
I'm assuming that he was a cleric. If so, he would become level 10 as soon as you played DI and the game would be over then. He would no longer be fighting the monster. But, for sake of completeness, a person would still win if they got to level 11 or 12, etc. It doesn't have to be exactly 10. This could happen if facing multiple monsters in the final combat or facing a monster that rewarded 2 levels.
Yes, he was a cleric, no he had finished fighting the monster when I layed it down. And honestly, I was expecting a little more creativity from the game thats rule book seems more like a joke.... I am dissapoint.... And on top of that it says you have to be level 10 to win, nothing about being level 11 or 12.

Tags
dupes, exploits, levels, winning, winning level