Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Phans

Default Forum Rules Question.

A little while ago, I got hit because I broke this rule:

"May I post a picture of a custom Munchkin card I wrote? (Or that was written by John Kovalic, Steve Jackson, Wil Wheaton . . .) As a general rule, yes. However, if you're posting an entire set of cards, the waters get murky . . . and if you're also posting our rules or the set is based on someone else's intellectual property, then the answer turns into "No, and now we have to ask you to take the files down." We hate doing that, but we absolutely will if it's necessary."

This is totally my fault, and I'm not angry over it; I failed to read the "Read me first" thread first. I'm not looking to debate this rule. And this post isn't really high priority. If ye mods reply "We don't have time for this stuff Phans; STFU" I'm understand and I'm cool with that. You guys probably know what you're doing.
I am curious, however, as to why this rule is in place. It says in the forum rules that:

"Any posting not carrying an explicit copyright notice is also assumed to be a contribution to Steve Jackson Games, for any use the company sees fit, including later publication in whole or in part under the SJ Games copyright."

Soooo... you don't like people posting sets of cards and/or rules. Why? If they post them, the sets are now yours, to do with as you please. Why must you take the files down?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Forum Rules Question.

I'm closing the thread so that there's no chiming in from people who have no right to chime in. Andrew (or someone else) can say his piece when he gets a chance.
MiB #1029
Old 01-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

This rule pre-dates my rehiring, so I'm not qualified to comment. I do know that this came from Steve directly, and I'm pretty strongly disinclined to question it for that reason alone.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 01-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Unfortunately, all I can say is that Steve basically told me the same thing back even before the forums existed, and I don't remember if he even gave me the context to the edict. I certainly don't remember it if he did.
MiB #1029
Closed Thread

Tags
custom deck, custom rules, forum policy, rule