Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Incident Dissonance vs. Recurring Dissonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlin View Post

P.P.S. Rocket Man, you wouldn't be at all out of line to operate like that. I just feel like Servitors of Gabriel have it way too rough as it is, y'know? I mean, I understand that it's their responsibility to punish the cruel, but they're the only angels I know of who are all but guaranteed to have an attunement that comes with not only a stipulation, but a dissonance condition.
True enough. Which may explain Dominic's less-than-sanguine feelings toward her.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
JCD

Quote:
Yeah, my bad. It came out wrong because I was actually mistaken.

I was under the impression that if Marisol failed her Will roll, she would have to go -- and given that the Will roll was near impossible to make, I assumed that she'd probably fail.
I made the exact same mistake. It wasn't until I started sifting through Lilith, IPG and Core that I got caught that.

A Geas still allows free will. That was tripping me up.

Quote:
The time-increment factor for incurring dissonance seems to be what's confusing us (me), particularly given the nature of the example above. In order to clarify it, I took a look at the Core Guide and checked out Geas as a form of discord.

Apparently, the "time allotted to complete the task" helps to determine the level of the Geas. It's worded in such a way as to make it really tricky, but essentially, if you give me a burden and the amount of time it takes me to complete the burden is reasonably about one hour (drive to the library, sign up for a library card and get me this book,") it counts as a Geas/1.

SNIP

Here's what's weird about this: if I self-geas with, "I promise officially to go to a nearby library and check out the book, Angels & Demons, by Dan Brown, which I will give to you upon my return," I get a rate of dissonance equal to one per hour until you get your book, and that's on a Geas/1! Granted, it all goes away when I give you the book...but still!
I KNOW! If Marisol gyps Curtis over an annual visit to Columbus, she gets 1 Diss and 12 months of 'freedom' (albeit, I would not let her work off that Diss with any of the myriad ways to self remove it)

But you said this:

Quote:
Do you suppose that you could spike the level of the Geas to shorten the "interval time" without shortening the time that you've allotted for the task to be complete?

If I self-geased with, "I promise officially that I will have a full report by next Wednesday at 10:00AM -- and not an hour later," and then swore a Geas/5 instead of a Geas/3 (treating the Geas as if you'd only given me an hour to work with for a seven day job), every hour that I kept you waiting would smack me with a point of dissonance, would it not?
That might be the answer I'm looking for. Marisol is in Greece. Curtis is in Columbus. Three hundred sixty five days after she left Columbus, she needs to be back. But say Marisol ran into some difficulties. A technical read of the rules means that all that happened is she gets a point of Dissonance and needs to show up in the next year...when it will go away. Yawn! No big deal particularly for a Geas/6!

A better ruling might be that it would take Marisol a day (with connections, time zones, and ground transport) to get from Greece to Columbus. So every DAY she chooses to not go after it comes due, she gets dinged with Dis!*

Regarding the table in the Core Book. The table in Lilith is much more complete. The risk reward factor makes things nicer.

For example: That phone call that Curtis is avoiding. If he KNEW that the call would likely result in him being 'volunteered' for a frontal assault on a tether of David, it would be a much larger Geas then that /1. An unknowing Curtis could be induced to call with a Geas/1.

Geases are tricky things...

One last request: I need help pricing out that Geas. Marisol has information regarding the tethers of Columbus. She swore the guy who kept her safe that she would update his information with an annual visit. The city would be more dangerous then most citiesfor her, but not egregiously so, though her research would take more then a day and would involve getting near Heavenly and Infernal tethers.

What would be the initial cost?

How long would it last?

*Interestingly, if she was a human from the 19th century, she might only get hit with body hits for every two months she doesn't arrive.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Orlin

Quote:
Regarding the table in the Core Book. The table in Lilith is much more complete. The risk reward factor makes things nicer.
Yeah, but I didn't want to over-complicate my already-needlessly-complicated post.

Quote:
One last request: I need help pricing out that Geas. Marisol has information regarding the tethers of Columbus. She swore the guy who kept her safe that she would update his information with an annual visit. The city would be more dangerous then most citiesfor her, but not egregiously so, though her research would take more then a day and would involve getting near Heavenly and Infernal tethers.
This is really tough. I don't think you can go higher than Geas/6, but there are certainly ways to use Superiors: Lilith to rack up a Geas/10. Maybe I need to re-read the whole section on Geases, but does it say anything about what happens when the conditions of your Geas rack up beyond 6 levels?

If not, here are a couple of viable solutions...

Quote:
What would be the initial cost?
If you rule that gathering all of the information on the Tethers will take her one week (and you said more than a day), that starts us off at Geas/3. If you rule that she's liable to do a full month of covert operations in the year, you could bump it to a Geas/4.

If you're following Superiors: Lilith pp. 38, work that is considered "hard" (because after all, there is the possibility that the Game or the Angels can come knocking on Marisol's door for this favor), you could give it a +2. That gives you a Geas/5 with a one-week interval and one week of hard work, or a Geas/6 with a one-month interval and a full month of covert operations and meticulously detailed reports scattered across the year.

If you want to bump up the interval (as per that on-the-fly house rule that I suggested) from one week to one day, you could say it's Geas/6, and Marisol's "dissonance interval" is 24 hours. To do this, you'd have to rule that she would only need to put in about a week of work -- otherwise, you'd technically be priced for a Geas/7.

I suppose you could also purchase it in the form of two separate Geases? A single Geas/5 (spend a month collecting reports) and a second Geas/2 (turn the report in on this day, at this place, at this time?) This would rack up one dissonance per day if she failed to turn in the report, and an additional one dissonance every month that she didn't go back to take surveilance of the Tethers, check up and compile information until the report was complete.

Quote:
How long would it last?
This is the really tricky part. To be perfectly honest, I think a Lilim would have to be particularly daft (or REALLY under a barrel!) to swear to meet him every year.

Go back to the way the Geas was worded. Is there anything that says she can't come back to him with the same information every year? Is there any way she can wriggle out? How many previous Geases did she owe him? You might count every additional meeting as a Geas/6 (since it's essentially the same task, with the same stipulations) and rule that after two or three years, all of the favors Marisol owed Curtis had worn off.

Alternatively, Marisol could have geased herself twice, with the second Geas being something akin to "I swear by my nature that I shall invoke this Geas again when next we meet." Or, alternatively, "every time we meet, until you are satisfied with the information." In either case, the second Geas would be equal to the level of the first.

With the latter option, as soon as he tells her something along the lines of "Good job," she could technically say, "Thanks!" and walk off without giving him anymore promises. With the former, she would be forced to provide him with two reports, once a year for the next two years, and then they would have to renegotiate their deal.

I hope she's getting something worthwhile for this!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
A better ruling might be that it would take Marisol a day (with connections, time zones, and ground transport) to get from Greece to Columbus. So every DAY she chooses to not go after it comes due, she gets dinged with Dis!*

*Interestingly, if she was a human from the 19th century, she might only get hit with body hits for every two months she doesn't arrive.
So a year to do this, then every day (or 2 month) thereafter -- since that's what'd it'd take to get there? That's not a bad interpretation.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
So a year to do this, then every day (or 2 month) thereafter -- since that's what'd it'd take to get there? That's not a bad interpretation.
But the question remains. Assume that Curtis has a Geas/6 (self sworn) on Marisol. She is a bit of a tether expert (okay, a LOT). She can observe them from a distance.

She promised to visit him in Columbus and update his current information. She promised to visit every year.

Now, how many visits would a geas/6 cover? One year? Three?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #16
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
But the question remains. Assume that Curtis has a Geas/6 (self sworn) on Marisol. She is a bit of a tether expert (okay, a LOT). She can observe them from a distance.

She promised to visit him in Columbus and update his current information. She promised to visit every year.

Now, how many visits would a geas/6 cover? One year? Three?
This is why Lilim are very careful with wording. If she said "every year," I'd assume that meant "every year that you are there and I am alive," with a possible unspoken escape clause if an entire year passes that the target isn't Columbus to visit. A bargain at Geas/6!

Beyond that, I guess you could retcon that there was some time limit, and that raises the question of what would be an arbitrary number of years to match for a Geas/6. I guess I'd say you should decide what it would be to visit once in a year and calculate from there (if it's normally a Geas/2 for one visit, then you're getting 3 visits).

EDIT: Just occurred to me it's a self-imposed Geas the Lilim expects to re-impose each time it's fulfilled, the level may change depending on what's going on in her life. If she's on the run from the Game and can't afford to talk to known associates for a while, you may be talking Geas/6 for just one visit. If it's easy enough for her to make a day trip once a year, I'd go Geas/3 or so offhand, but the Lilith supplement probably has better info on what a day-long commitment (with some nominal personal risk) should cost.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #17
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

*points upwards* Pretty much what Jason just said there, yup. If you make some kind of open-ended promise, you're pretty much opening yourself up to a constantly renewing Geas (though the level of it may indeed change depending on the situation). As a GM, I would probably _tell the Lilim's player this_ -- in much the same way I'd tell a Lilim's player, when the Lilim is calling a random Geas in, "You can't ask for that much; the Geas will not support it."
Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
JCD

Essentially, she promised this to someone, so it might very well NOT be a geas, more a sense of obligation. A less offical favor.

This allows her to pick and choose when and where it is convienient, but puts the moral onus upon her, since it impinges upon her sense of self worth and reliability.

Hmm. I'm reading the Superiors book and would this work? 'I will visit Columbus to update your informationn on tethers because I like you.' By making it indefinate, she can choose the time and place, and since it relies upon her good will, if she finds she doesn't like the recipient as much as she once thought, she's free of the obligation.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

If it's not a Geas, then it definitely is subject to the whims of the Lilim. She may feel moral obligation, but she won't become dissonant, and she can always say, "I never geased myself to showing up here every single year, and I don't think what you're asking is something I can give -- it's not a fair trade. I feel kinda guilty, but I'll have to live with that."

Indefinite Geases, yeah, that sounds 'bout right.

Tags
dissonance, rules, variant rules