Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-24-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default What's next for the DFRPG?

The Jan 24, 2021 Daily Illuminator ends with:

Quote:
Will we add new titles to the line? We would like to, but that will depend on whether or not there is enough demand. Would you like to see us produce more books for the*Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game?*You can let us know by posting in our forums!
So...let the fun begin.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:45 AM   #2
ArchonShiva

Default Re: What's next for the DFRPG?

Yes. In order:

Automation (Store inventory generator, treasure tables, rumors, etc.);
Rules (Underwater and mounted combat, attack dogs, combat options);
Spells (stuff from popular RPGs or video games with no equivalent);
Equipment;
"Normal" magic items (stuff to buy);
Character options;
Monsters;

Nope for me:
Adventures;
Unique Magic Items;
Old 01-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #3
Captain Joy

Well, Exploits is an obvious first choice to add to the P.O.D. list.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
Anders

Adversaries to build a campaign around. Adversaries are different from bosses in that they are things to build a campaign around, rather than people to kill at the end of an adventure. Things like the Zhentarim (from Forgotten Realms) or the Hand (from Daredevil).
Old 01-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #5
RhinoDino1973

Hello. I'm new to GURPS and the forums. I'd like to see support for lower point heroes. Guidance on creating low point characters, adventures, monsters, magic items, etc. The default in DFRPG is too high for me (300 pts with 50 pts in disadvantages = 250 total) and creates powerful characters that can breeze through most challenges. That's not fun and the reason I haven't played Dungeon Fantasy. For me, the fun is developing a novice adventurer to get to a higher power level.
RhinoDino1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #6
Anders

There's a post on the net called "Dungeon Fantasy On The Cheap". It talks about bringing down heroes to as little as 100 points. However, it is for Dungeon Fantasy, not Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Games so it might take some adjusting. Also, martial artists are probably not effective at less than 250 points - that's just a build that requires a lot of points.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoDino1973 View Post
Hello. I'm new to GURPS and the forums. I'd like to see support for lower point heroes. Guidance on creating low point characters, adventures, monsters, magic items, etc. The default in DFRPG is too high for me (300 pts with 50 pts in disadvantages = 250 total) and creates powerful characters that can breeze through most challenges. That's not fun and the reason I haven't played Dungeon Fantasy. For me, the fun is developing a novice adventurer to get to a higher power level.
Indeed. While the higher power characters do have some appeal, I'm more of an OSR-ish person in my dungeons. And for my own dungeon campaign, I found it more fun, especially with a few players who were GURPS novices, to start a dungeon campaign with 150 points (or even 100, if you're a diehard, though I haven't tried the latter in 4th edition). Fewer advantages and other specials to remember, and less work to GM, but your characters aren't any more fragile -- 3-4 PCs (provided one's a wizard and they have mail or the like) can still easily handle a single sizable monster or several orcs in leather armor or the like. I find this also gives a greater sense of progression and "leveling up" as they improve more dramatically. It would be nice have extended support for lower level adventures for those who do like that approach. Nice big boxed set megadungeon.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'd also like to see more weakly godlike entities that have personalities and motivations, cults, and minions - an equivalent of the D&D arch demons and devils. In general, I'd like to see more material on bad guys and less on creating and powering up PC superheroes. Serious rather than jokey (:

I'd also like a ready to use multi-level starter dungeon, of at least 3-4 levels, but with room for a sequel product that adds more, designed for extended campaign play with the first level organized for starting characters and higher levels progressively more difficult, large enough to permit multiple factions, but disorganized enough that each room or complex of 1-3 rooms is independent to prevent parties being overwhelmed, its background logically supporting such diversity, and its multiple entrances, exits, extra planar gates, and transit points to other underworlds, underwater rivers, or whatever, permitting easy justification for the dungeon to "restock" itself, with guidelines to the GM on doing so. No complex metaplot or anything, but a history that supports this and inspires the GM to create replacement content. I'd also like to see more emphasis on interesting NPCs in dungeons to talk to.

Last edited by David L Pulver; 01-24-2021 at 01:54 PM.
David L Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #8
David Johansen

Are die cut dungeon walls, similar to the Deluxe Ogre models an option? Sure there's Dwarven Forge and surely someone doing laser cut mdf has something, but I want a hex grid on it.

More monsters might be nice, but what about encounters? Like here's six orks. Here's their names, possessions, and what they're doing.

I'm thinking a mass combat supplement with maps and counters is probably out of the range of options. Still, I've always liked how Rolemaster's War Law was set up where you could have battles on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper which fits well on a kitchen table loaded with books and dice and snacks.

Dragons of the Under Earth from Metagaming might be an interesting setting / dungeon model. I could see a series of connected adventures exploring an underworld.

Spell and monster cards could be cool though the size of type necessary might be a problem.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:34 PM   #9
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
I'd also like a ready to use multi-level starter dungeon, of at least 3-4 levels, but with room for a sequel product that adds more, designed for extended campaign play with the first level organized for starting characters and higher levels progressively more difficult, large enough to permit multiple factions, but disorganized enough that each room or complex of 1-3 rooms is independent to prevent parties being overwhelmed, its background logically supporting such diversity, and its multiple entrances, exits, extra planar gates, and transit points to other underworlds, underwater rivers, or whatever, permitting easy justification for the dungeon to "restock" itself, with guidelines to the GM on doing so. No complex metaplot or anything, but a history that supports this and inspires the GM to create replacement content. I'd also like to see more emphasis on interesting NPCs in dungeons to talk to.
This. Not only would I like to see lower point play for DFRPG (I've heard there are some marketing reasons why it isn't the default, but it's my style of play), but I'd like more OSR-style play, with focus on locations and crawling, not plots. There'd have to be some guidance to playing lower-point magic-abusers in dungeon crawls; the fatigue rules can be a bother.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:47 PM   #10
DreadDomain

I would like to see:

1) The adaptation of the Henchmen book. I actually would like to see cultural/background lenses (+25pts), jobs (62pts), roles (125pts) plus archetype lenses (+125pts). A combination like this enables us the create lower-level delvers but also NPCs.

2) A book focusing on organization and the social aspects of the game describing guilds and or cults with their motivations and major NPCs, etc.). It would include new social lenses for delvers and adventure seeds and a scenario.

3) Tying up with the above, a book focusing on a town including said town/city description (with maps), npc, hirelings, adventure seeds and a scenario.

4) A book focusing on wilderness adventures. This would include, a wilderness area sandbox (with maps), npc, local beasts/monsters, encounter tables and a scenario.

5) A book focusing on a detailed dungeon. This would include, the dungeon (with maps), treasures, traps, npc (allies, rivals and denizens) and monsters. Actually, I should have said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote