Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2021, 06:48 AM   #1
stranger38

Default Big bore flintlock rifle

Good morning everyone!
Please help out once more.
I'm gming a dungeon fantasy-esque game set in a time period analog to post colonial america with fully developed flintlock firearms.

And... I want you guys to help me stat this big bore flintlock rifle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SJvesjGissE

I thought something around 5d pi+... And nothing else
stranger38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
Tinman

Default Re: Big bore flintlock rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger38 View Post
Good morning everyone!
Please help out once more.
I'm gming a dungeon fantasy-esque game set in a time period analog to post colonial america with fully developed flintlock firearms.

And... I want you guys to help me stat this big bore flintlock rifle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SJvesjGissE

I thought something around 5d pi+... And nothing else
Check out: Pyramid 3-36 Dungeon Fantasy I, The Musketeer p.17-21, it will have all you need. Gun stats are on p.20.

Also, Low-Tech has stats for flintlocks on p.92-93.
The Musket in low-tech is a .80 caliber.

Your video says it's .775 caliber musket so I'd say it's close enough.

Last edited by Tinman; 11-16-2021 at 07:03 AM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:08 AM   #3
Varyon

According to this (at work, so can't really watch the video), we're looking at a 660gr, .76" caliber bullet with a kinetic energy of 3,768 ft-lbs. Converting caliber to mm (19.3) and KE to joules (5108.7) and plugging into Douglas Cole's Ballistic Spreadsheet (which is designed to approximate the results seen with official stats), I get around 6d+1 pi++, Range 260/2450 (I'd call it 250/2500) or so.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:39 AM   #4
stranger38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
According to this (at work, so can't really watch the video), we're looking at a 660gr, .76" caliber bullet with a kinetic energy of 3,768 ft-lbs. Converting caliber to mm (19.3) and KE to joules (5108.7) and plugging into Douglas Cole's Ballistic Spreadsheet (which is designed to approximate the results seen with official stats), I get around 6d+1 pi++, Range 260/2450 (I'd call it 250/2500) or so.
Holy mother of beejesus!
Old 11-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Holy mother of beejesus!
According to the article, it was designed for hunting large game in Africa, so it needed some pretty impressive power. The article didn't give the weapon's weight or length - perhaps the video does, or at least has a decent view that lets you estimate the latter. Bulk would be based on length (just set it the same as another rifle of comparable length). WPS is 860gr (660gr bullet + 200gr black powder*), or 1.9 lb (I'd be inclined to round up to 2; 0.1 lb for the paper cartridge/wadding might be a bit high, but I think it's close enough) (EDIT: I screwed up and translated grams to pounds rather than grains to pounds, I'd actually set it at 0.125 lb, for 8 cartridges to the pound). The article also notes the recoil impulse would be comparable to .470 Nitro Express, so set MinST around the level of a rifle firing that (actual Rcl doesn't matter for a single-shot weapon, but is probably 5+).

*Note this was black powder of modern production, which may be a bit better than was available at early-mid TL5. I'd imagine if so, you'd just use more powder rather than having a weaker shot - another good reason to round the WPS up.

Last edited by Varyon; 11-16-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
Fred Brackin

[QUOTE=Varyon;2403871WPS is 860gr (660gr bullet + 200gr black powder*), or 1.9 lb (I'd be inclined to round up to 2;p.[/QUOTE]

Huh? There are 7000 graisn to the avoirdupis lb that is the Us customary measure. You're not even at 0.2 lbs.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Huh? There are 7000 graisn to the avoirdupis lb that is the Us customary measure. You're not even at 0.2 lbs.
Whoops. When I told Google to translate "860 gr to lb," it looks like it interpreted "gr" as "gram" rather than "grain," and I failed to proofread to check it. That did indeed sound like a rather large weight, but I didn't really think about it much. Looks like it's actually 0.1229 lb; I'd call it 0.125 lb (8 to the pound). I've edited that post, thanks for the correction.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #8
stranger38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
According to the article, it was designed for hunting large game in Africa, so it needed some pretty impressive power. The article didn't give the weapon's weight or length - perhaps the video does, or at least has a decent view that lets you estimate the latter. Bulk would be based on length (just set it the same as another rifle of comparable length). WPS is 860gr (660gr bullet + 200gr black powder*), or 1.9 lb (I'd be inclined to round up to 2; 0.1 lb for the paper cartridge/wadding might be a bit high, but I think it's close enough) (EDIT: I screwed up and translated grams to pounds rather than grains to pounds, I'd actually set it at 0.125 lb, for 8 cartridges to the pound). The article also notes the recoil impulse would be comparable to .470 Nitro Express, so set MinST around the level of a rifle firing that (actual Rcl doesn't matter for a single-shot weapon, but is probably 5+).

*Note this was black powder of modern production, which may be a bit better than was available at early-mid TL5. I'd imagine if so, you'd just use more powder rather than having a weaker shot - another good reason to round the WPS up.
As this beast is essentialy a flintlock nitro rifle i'm very inclined to use the same length and weigth or something close to the rolling block 4-bore that's on adventure guns
Old 11-16-2021, 12:23 PM   #9
Tinman

Quote:
As this beast is essentialy a flintlock nitro rifle i'm very inclined to use the same length and weigth or something close to the rolling block 4-bore that's on adventure guns
The guns from "Adventure Guns" are mid to late 1800's era & much more powerful than flint locks. I highly recommend using the sources I listed at the beginning of the thread. the LT Musket does 4d+2 pi++, the DF Musket does 4d pi++ & The Musketeer article has more powerful weapons like the hand cannon too.
Additionally, the Musketeer article was written specifically with DF in mind.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #10
stranger38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
The guns from "Adventure Guns" are mid to late 1800's era & much more powerful than flint locks. I highly recommend using the sources I listed at the beginning of the thread. the LT Musket does 4d+2 pi++, the DF Musket does 4d pi++ & The Musketeer article has more powerful weapons like the hand cannon too.
Additionally, the Musketeer article was written specifically with DF in mind.
I've got the magazine but the most powerfull gun there is the hand cannon or am i missing something?