Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #14
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Banestorm] Yrth as a Psionic setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I don't see the value of a pro-psi force in the Ring Islands. Just assume the anti-psi force is A) subtle on Earth propper, it prevents those with less than a certain amount of skill learning psi (which means skilled Psions can act on Earth) and B) the anti-psi force is unequally distributed on Yrth.
Not sure that I'd want to use that, but it is an interesting idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I might suggest that Yrth's moon causes the anti-psi force to wane when Yrth's moon is brighter. And that each orbit of Yrth's moon around Yrth slightly weakens the force. This would cover the slow reduction of the No Manna area in the Banestorm book.

By the way, don't have the slow weakening actually be connected to the moonlight. Correlation isn't causation after all. But let the PCs think it might be. It's a fun red herring.
True. Also works somewhat to explain werecreatures in-setting, if they seem to respond to the Moon (transformation or projection would be easier then, with that variant). Would probably need an explanation for why it happens to coincide with the full moon, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binn05 View Post
Found it! Rá! I'm absent-minded, but still not crazy!!! Do you hear that, voices inside my head????

I was thinking about Torsionic Radiation. Pyramid #3.29, p23.
It is about a psi radiation that causes "psychic pollution that causes emotional distress in sapient creatures, kill plants, and destabilizes the weather."...
Lets see, do I have that? *looks it up* Interesting. Not sure whether I want to use it or not, but it's interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binn05 View Post
Did you think about using Wildcard skills?
Since I'm not using specific Power Talents (Telepathy Talent, TK Talent, etc.), but using Template Talents (Psi Talent, Sanctity, Chi Talent, etc.), each template has a list of specific psi abilities that they can buy. So, I'm using wildcard skills like Anti-psi, Telekinesis, and Thermokinesis).
But this is DF, not Fantasy. It is working nicely for us, though.
Did not really plan on using Wildcard skills for that, but they could be useful in some games.

Incidentally, if I'd been more awake, that quirk in the template would have either been much more generic ('Always carries a set of 'lucky' dice,' for example), or entirely absent (replaced by lowering the cost of one of the skills or techniques, probably). It was just there because I didn't want the final cost to be 51, and I was already going to see if there was a 'Patron Saint of Gamblers,' for Mystic Order purposes.

EDIT: For those of you who are Catholic, he's apparently also the patron of gamers, though that might not be meant the same way.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, psionics, worldbuilding, yrth