Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #1
awarnock

Default Calculating stats for new UT weapons

So, I'd like to stat up some weapons that aren't in the UT book a game I'm working on getting together. I've looked, but I can't seem to find anything about how the damage was calculated. Is there some way of figuring that out, for say a 20mm x 102mm tungsten slug fired at 2 km/s from a railgun? I'm not afraid of math, so as long as it's not Calculus 3 levels, I'm fine with any equations.
awarnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:27 PM   #2
Rysith

Default Re: Calculating stats for new UT weapons

For kinetics (absent exotic effects that you may start running into by 2km/sec around fluid flow and heating) damage is fairly directly related to kinetic energy - I've used 3e vehicles to build 4e guns before, and I know that somewhere there is a spreadsheet that will calculate damage and 1/2D from projectile mass, cross-sectional area, and chamber pressure (which you'd have to fudge to get your desired muzzle velocity, but that should be doable).

A caution: I haven't done the math yet, but a 20x102mm round at 2km/sec is going to be well out of infantry-scale damage, and GURPS is known needing some adjustments in that range to prevent things from going binary (because things large enough to take that sort of hit have 'too few' HP and/or because DR rapidly becomes all-or-nothing). If you're playing around with that kind of firepower and care about the actual damage dice (rather than a hit being fatal) you may want to seriously simulate some of your combats and investigate some of the many solutions to making GURPS work at the scale you're using.
Rysith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:57 PM   #3
awarnock

Default Re: Calculating stats for new UT weapons

Ah, I wasn't very clear in my intent. I'm sorry about that. I want to stat out some calibers beyond what is in the UT book especially for larger scale weapons that'd be used on vehicles and ships.

I've been hemming and hawing about getting Vehicles. I keep hoping that some bit of news will pop up about the Vehicle Design and Armory books, but I think the last bit of news I've found was back at the beginning of last year. How much conversion work is there to get things working in 4e? If it's not a lot, I may just go ahead and grab the book and use it.
awarnock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
math, ultra tech, weapon design