Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2020, 09:07 AM   #21
Fred Brackin

Default Re: The Skills that define a TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
If I understand your question,

you are looking for the list of 5 skills that are "most needed" to understand the signature technologies of each TL ?

*And you are assuming that the TL 12 guys would keep a library of lower /TL Instaskill Nano ... which I think unlikely.
1. Not exactly. I might be looking for the 5 skills that are most fundamental to understanding the overall underlying paradigm of each TL.

2. These are the Metalunans who have been working to raise human intelligence and knowledge ever since they first built a space habitat above and beyond the Moon lo these many millenia ago. Their Racial Template would include +4 IQ from gengineering, +3 IQ from Brain Tissue Grafts, +3 IQ from Cognitive enhancement implants and, a boatload of other Ads defintely including Unaging. With unlimited time they raise their IQs to 29 and then develop at least 1 pt of Special Training because a 30 is so much neater. After they do all that absorbing all prior human knowledge is only the beginning.

In other words, they're not Eloi.

If it helps, consider this a campaign that will center around The Last Earthperson who found themselves in a literally post-human future when they appeared in somethng the Metalunans called a "Probabulity Cauldron". They wouldn't or couldn't explain what that was except to say "No. You can't reverse the polarity.".

As compensation for this "oopsie" they help him adapt for a life beyond Metalunan society in a galaxy of at least TL11^. Besides the TL upgrade they will furnish him a cool-looking atarship and a faithful cybernetic companion. This might take them all of 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm not sure where the feisty catgirl comes from but there will defintely be one.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #22
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
1. Not exactly. I might be looking for the 5 skills that are most fundamental to understanding the overall underlying paradigm of each TL.

2. These are the Metalunans who have been working to raise human intelligence and knowledge ever since they first built a space habitat above and beyond the Moon lo these many millenia ago. Their Racial Template would include +4 IQ from gengineering, +3 IQ from Brain Tissue Grafts, +3 IQ from Cognitive enhancement implants and, a boatload of other Ads defintely including Unaging. With unlimited time they raise their IQs to 29 and then develop at least 1 pt of Special Training because a 30 is so much neater. After they do all that absorbing all prior human knowledge is only the beginning.

In other words, they're not Eloi.

If it helps, consider this a campaign that will center around The Last Earthperson who found themselves in a literally post-human future when they appeared in somethng the Metalunans called a "Probabulity Cauldron". They wouldn't or couldn't explain what that was except to say "No. You can't reverse the polarity.".

As compensation for this "oopsie" they help him adapt for a life beyond Metalunan society in a galaxy of at least TL11^. Besides the TL upgrade they will furnish him a cool-looking atarship and a faithful cybernetic companion. This might take them all of 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm not sure where the feisty catgirl comes from but there will defintely be one.
So it would be similar to a TL8 human grabbed by a Culture ship and brought up to speed.
And you want a credible training montage.

Honestly, in that situation, I would have the player select a few skills per intermediate TL (however irrelevant they may be for the overall underlying paradigm of each TL) and have the Metalunans build a training matrix around it.
They obviously have the capacity to do so, and it may be more fun for the player to gain 1 cp in skills like cooking/TL10 and knitting/TL11 rather than a deep understanding of the fundamentals of science across all TL. (unless that's what the player actually want, of course).

Otherwise, if my suggestion above of focusing on math and engineering skills don't suit you, you have the 7 fundamentals skills of the old joke:
Sociology which is iust applied psychology which is just applied biology which just applied chemistry which is just applied physics which is just applied mathematics which is really just an abstract form of philosophy
which are probably good for understanding the underlying paradigm of any TL.

Either way, nice campaign setup, it sound promising.

Last edited by Celjabba; 10-04-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #23
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The skills that lots of people start using at each TL are interesting, even though many of them will be used at default:

TL6: Driving, Machinist, and Mechanic, as industrialisation really takes hold.

TL7: Electronics Operation (media: TV and stereo) and Administration, with the shift to office work.

TL8: Computer Operation and Research, as Internet culture takes hold.

What else?
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #24
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I would rule that GURPS represents this stuff as a collection of defaults that are rolled up in "TL", not as characteristic skills.
This makes sense to me. Personal TL is conceptually similar to Cultural Familiarity.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skills, tech level