Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #61
copeab

Default Re: [AtE] Best bang for your Warlord buck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Can find stats for the Dreyse, but not the Chassepot.
With the warning that I don't play 4e ...

I would use the game stats for the Dreyse, but slightly reduce damage (the Chassepot fired a faster but lighter bullet) and a slightly improved 1/2 Damage range (same reason) and Acc. The Chassepot, with fewer needle breakages due to it being shorter and not having to go as deep into the paper cartridge, would have a bit more reliability.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:57 AM   #62
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
For those who are interested, Forgotten Weapons has a video on them (a bit over fourteen and a half minutes long).
Thank you, that was much more informative on the workings of it than that Wikipedia article I found. I'm certainly going to incorporate some of that design into the fluff for my black powder revolvers (like the bit where you pull back the cylinder, rotate, and slide it back forward).
Old 05-08-2020, 09:10 PM   #63
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keampe View Post
Ta. I'd forgotten about this one. Very noice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keampe View Post
...the primer can be replaced with steel wool or another filament and the trigger pull brings the leads from a battery into contact. Another way is to line the bottom of the cartridge with paper or thin plastic to cover the torch hole and replace the firing pin with a miniature soldering gun.
Looks like a nice fit for a Montigny miltrailleuse style of weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
I would use the game stats for the Dreyse, but slightly reduce damage (the Chassepot fired a faster but lighter bullet) and a slightly improved 1/2 Damage range (same reason) and Acc. The Chassepot, with fewer needle breakages due to it being shorter and not having to go as deep into the paper cartridge, would have a bit more reliability.
Noted. Ta muchly.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:20 PM   #64
Luke Bunyip

Here's another wacky refit option, via Beardy at C&Rsenal; the single shot break open shotgun, now with an added magazine and self-loading system.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:25 AM   #65
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Here's another wacky refit option, via Beardy at C&Rsenal; the single shot break open shotgun, now with an added magazine and self-loading system.
Ooo... that's a Malf decrease for sure. Still, pretty intriguing idea and might get your RoF up to 1, which is pretty impressive for a break-action. 4th ed doesn't have Speed Load skill, but I'd definitely want some sort of roll required to operate this thing quickly.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:23 AM   #66
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
Still, pretty intriguing idea and might get your RoF up to 1, which is pretty impressive for a break-action. 4th ed doesn't have Speed Load skill, but I'd definitely want some sort of roll required to operate this thing quickly.
Fast Draw (Ammo), renamed as Fast Reload?
Old 05-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #67
copeab

To channel Forgotten Weapons again ...

Here are a couple of carbines from the 1850's. The Burnside was The fist US rifle with a metal case, although it did not include the primer (this was a standard percussion cap).

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/ame...nside-carbine/

The Morse used a centerfire brass case, while the Spencer and Henry were rimfire, but the Confederacy was incapable of building the carbine, and more importantly it's ammunition, quickly and in sufficient quantities. I think if the CSA had trouble with producing centerfire cartridges, most AtE governments would as well.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/con...of-their-time/

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #68
(E)

This is a bit of a tangent, but what characteristics do people think a warlord would look for in weapons for their goons and mooks?

My own thoughts leaned towards a rarer weapon with multiple shots for the "officer" class of mook or goon as the threat the weapon posed was more important than its actual effectiveness.

There are numerous other aspects to consider though
- Cost/complexity
- logistics
- use by a poorly trained individual.
- and many more.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:40 PM   #69
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
This is a bit of a tangent, but what characteristics do people think a warlord would look for in weapons for their goons and mooks?
A real world example is the Nagant M1895 revolver for the Russian Imperial Army. Officers received a double-action version, while enlisted men only got single action. If your troops are not well trained it doesn't make sense to give them rapid-fire weapons as they will just waste ammo. On the other hand, an officer cornered by mutinying troops or in a position overrun by the enemy could benefit from a rapid-fire weapon to defend themselves.

Another example are the various flavors of M16 rifle. The version issued to main line US troops (M16A2 and A4 and original M4 carbine) is not capable of full automatic fire, and has a 3-round burst limiter, again to reduce ammo consumption. Other versions (M16A3), and I believe the carbine M4A1 variant, are capable of performing a clip dump, but these are not as widely issued as the burst limited version.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:13 AM   #70
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
A real world example is the Nagant M1895 revolver for the Russian Imperial Army. Officers received a double-action version, while enlisted men only got single action. If your troops are not well trained it doesn't make sense to give them rapid-fire weapons as they will just waste ammo. On the other hand, an officer cornered by mutinying troops or in a position overrun by the enemy could benefit from a rapid-fire weapon to defend themselves.
Also, for an officer, a pistol might be the only weapon. They likely wouldn't be carrying a rifle. Enlisted men issued a pistol would either have a rifle, or be in positions not necessarily expected to come face to face with the enemy.

Tags
ate, high-tech