Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-22-2020, 04:03 AM   #1
FeiLin

Default MA fencing nerf

I looked at A Matter of Inches (MA110), and noticed that these replace multiple Parry penalties for fencing weapons. Now, I do enjoy the extra detail, but it seems to me that fencing weapons got nerfed quite a bit. There are exceptions, of course, but a rapier-wielding fencer will only get the same level of bonus as before the nerf on ST18, and even a +1 bonus requires ST14, whereas most fencers in our games have ST11-12.

How come, and, would you that fencing weapons have a minimum +2 for relative ST is sensible (basically merging the two rules)?
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:41 AM   #2
Rupert

Default Re: MA fencing nerf

Well, rapiers are actually quite big as fencing weapons go - most of what we think of as 'rapiers' would count as 'light rapiers' or 'smallswords'. If you're using a smallsword, ST10+ gets you that -2/parry.

I'm not convinced fencing weapons really deserve reduced penalties on multiple parries anyway - while they were fast their very lightness and balance meant parries vs heavier weapons required a lot of commitment, and most of the training with them was for 1v1 fights as well. 'A Matter of Inches' might reduce the strength of fencing weapons' defence somewhat, but it makes them offensively more powerful, if you're willing to take risks to go first, or willing to invest in feints (and they aid in defence vs feints, so that's a defensive bonus).

However, it's an optional rule, so adjust it as you see fit.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fencing, martial arts, multiple parry, nerf, st req