Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
Yssa

Default Wait and Move

How/when can you move on turns where you take a Wait action?

Exploits (32) lists Change Posture, Attack, Feint, All-Out Attack, or Ready as the options after a wait. Then, in the note on the following page, says "Movement: As prescribed by the maneuver declared as your reaction. You can take that movement and then Wait, which means you can’t move at all when you react – or you can stand still and Wait, which lets you move according to the specified maneuver when you react."

I'm having a little trouble thinking about that allows. . . could you:
  • Take a step, and the Wait to attack?
  • Wait, and then Step & Attack on the trigger?
  • Take your full move, and then Wait to make a wild swing?
  • Wait, and then Move and Attack on the trigger?

Movement on its own seems expressly left off the list of options but would you allow someone to say "I'd like to wait and as soon as the door opens, I'll sprint through"
Yssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
Hide

Default Re: Wait and Move

Wait is a manoeuvre on its own, you take a wait and that's it until the trigger takes place. This means you cannot take any other manoeuvre, such as “move”, “attack” or “all out defence” and so on.

When the trigger takes place, you must perform the specific action you declared.

I may however allow a free action before taking the wait (such as a step).

If you want to move in combination with a wait, then you should do it after the wait, and things take place in coordination with the trigger (e.g. move and attack or heroic charge).

Additionally: If the trigger did not activate, then you wasted your turn.

Last edited by Hide; 06-17-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #3
Mr_Sandman

As the description says, you can take any movement allowed by the Maneuver that you declare the Wait will turn into when it is triggered, either before you wait or after the trigger. So:

Take a step, and the Wait to attack?
Yes, but then you can't step after the attack is triggered, you have to attack from the hex you are in.

Wait, and then Step & Attack on the trigger?
Yes.

Take your full move, and then Wait to make a wild swing?
No, Move and Attack is not one of the allowable maneuvers with a Wait.

Wait, and then Move and Attack on the trigger?
No, Move and Attack is not one of the allowable maneuvers with a Wait

I believe the reasoning is that if you are spending part of your turn waiting, you will not have a full second of action, so you shouldn't get your full move. That's why Move and Move and Attack are both not allowed with Wait.

If you want to move more than a step with a Wait, the only thing you can do is declare an All Out Attack, so you get half your move in a mad dash after it is triggered, but then you'll leave yourself defenseless. Otherwise, move next to the door before you wait, so a step can take you through it.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #4
Yssa

That is how I have played it in the past, Hide and Mr. Sandman. . .

Are there other potential types of movement situations that the note is referring to that I haven't thought of, or is it just steps and all-out attacks?
Yssa is offline   Reply With Quote