Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #21
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: How to defeat Reflexive Insubstantial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Are we talking about the same Reflexive?
This doesn't assume you have built-in Danger Sense to activate your defenses. This just means that if you have one, you can activate your ability in zero time outside of your turn as a free action.
No, this is me forgetting that the power defense rules are general features rather than a source-specific rule (as I treat them as a source-specific rule in my games).

Oops.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #22
Jovus

Innate Attack (Affects Insubstantial, +50%)

Though that's cheating if the GM does it without a lead-up.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #23
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmbeHntr View Post
Is there any way to kill a character with Insubstantial (Reflexive, +40%) without using an attack that has Affects Insubstantial?
If all you have is mundane countermeasures one possibility is to put the character into arcs of fire that they might not be willing to use their turns insubstantial power. This works specificaly well when the character is a fanatic towards something, has a sense of duty or dependent.

Scenarios like this: "Yes you can certainly turn insubstantial and the bullet aimed at your lower torso will absolutely not hit you...of course your 10 year old little brother who doesnt have insubstantial is standing right behind you and the bullet arc will make it a head shot against him. Whats your final decision?"
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #24
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmbeHntr View Post
Is there any way to kill a character with Insubstantial (Reflexive, +40%) without using an attack that has Affects Insubstantial?
deceptive attack good enough for him to fail his power dodge.

Reflexive isn't Cosmic: Unfailing Defence. It's just a 40% enhancement that allows you to make a power dodge thanks to a level of reduced time and in some cases do this instinctively where someone merely with reduced time would not get a defence roll (I allow it even when the character is surprised, though at a -2 penalty reflecting the -4 activation roll normally on reflexive 'switching itself on').

If the character wants to not roll at all for power dodges, he needs the cosmic modifiers from Power-Ups:4.

Reflexive is really not much better for defences and such than reduced time. It comes into its own far more when applying to things like Mind-Reading, Detect and senses requiring activation, effectively turning them from passive to active senses.

Last edited by B9anders; 07-02-2013 at 09:47 AM.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Insubstantial doesn't stop Afflictions.
yes it does.

It's Maledictions that it doesn't stop.

edit: well I suppose technically Insubstantiality doesn't stop the affliction. But neither does it affect the insubstantial character unless suitably modified with Affects Insubstantial or Malediction.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #26
Jerander

I think your answer lies on p. 63 of the Basic Set: "The GM may rule that certain materials, energy barriers, magic spells, etc. are impenetrable to your particular form of Insubstantiality."

What certain materials are impenetrable to the particular form of Insubstantiality? Make bullets (or swords, or cages...) of that.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
Jerander

Is Standard Spell Magic available in the setting? Look up Materialize, Astral Block, and other spirit-affecting spells.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #28
lexington

Use Fast-Talk.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #29
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
<snip>
Weird. I've always rules that Reflexive is automatic, but you have to choose to do it (insubstantial would turn on and stay on until you turn it off). I can't quite tell reading over that page if Power Dodging is assumed for Reflexive (I'd use it if you had Reduced Time only, though).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #30
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Weird. I've always rules that Reflexive is automatic, but you have to choose to do it (insubstantial would turn on and stay on until you turn it off). I can't quite tell reading over that page if Power Dodging is assumed for Reflexive (I'd use it if you had Reduced Time only, though).
the rules for power dodge mentions reduced time or reflexive as common prerequisites for being able to power dodge.

Tags
affects insubstantial, insubstantiality, power dodge, reflexive