Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Custom Power Investitures and Rune Magic

1. Is there a way to make a custom Power Investiture and make your own list of spells that are affected by your level of said custom PI?

2. When I add the Thaumatology - Rune Magic add-on, it overwrites the new spell option and makes it so I can only make a new runic spell. Help? Is there a to change it back, or (better) have both?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT:
2. Actually, when I take the Rune Magic add-on off, I can't see a way to create a new spell at all. However, I see that there is a player-made list option. How do you make new spells now?

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Custom Power Investitures and Rune Magic

I'm not actually the best one to answer your questions on this stuff these days, but I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
1. Is there a way to make a custom Power Investiture and make your own list of spells that are affected by your level of said custom PI?
Yes.

But if it is for your own personal character, why bother? It's more effort than you'll get out of it, if you just take the appropriate Clerical spells and don't take ones that don't apply.

If it's for your campaign, you'll need to create a data file. That has some requirements, covered elsewhere. But you could pretty easily copy the "<~Clerical>" section of "[Spells]", delete all the spells that don't apply, and replace "Clerical" with your custom PI's name. Then you add Power Investiture to an [Advantages] section, add "(your custom PI's name)" as a name extension, and change the "CO:~Clerical" in gives to "CO:your custom PI's name".

If you aren't sure where to begin, I can even give you a sample GDF that does this for you, and all you'd need to do is a global search-n-replace, and trim the spell lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
2. Actually, when I take the Rune Magic add-on off, I can't see a way to create a new spell at all. However, I see that there is a player-made list option. How do you make new spells now?

Thanks!
I'm not actually sure what you mean. Is there no longer "_New Spell (Clerical)" in your Available Spells? That will help you make a new spell that works with Power Investiture.

Or, add another spell of the right college, and just edit all the values for things until you're happy.

Armin
Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

A while ago I created a spreadsheet to help with the creation of custom Power Investiture spell lists. In fact, I developed and used it for the creation of the data file for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 7: Clerics, which has about 15 different spell lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
But if it is for your own personal character, why bother? It's more effort than you'll get out of it, if you just take the appropriate Clerical spells and don't take ones that don't apply.
And I agree with this sentiment entirely. Unless you're developing a data file for your own campaign, and the campaign will feature and focus on multiple sources of Clerical Magic, there's no real need to create your own custom lists. Just load the Clerical data file, and limit yourself appropriately as to which spells the character can use..
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-10-2012 at 11:49 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I'm not actually sure what you mean. Is there no longer "_New Spell (Clerical)" in your Available Spells? That will help you make a new spell that works with Power Investiture.
I mean there is no variation of "_New Spell" whatsoever. I don't know why it disappeared! :(
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gca4, power investiture, rune, thaumatology