Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Is Regeneration a Disadvantage?

I have to agree.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #12
brianfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I don't play in games where GMs play sleazy tricks.
This. I would go play d&d before I would tolerate this. I quit a GURPS group after the rest of the group found spending two hours debating the thickness of rope needed to lift some stuff worthwhile. Sometime Ppl forget that games should be fun.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
I know, the question, "Is Regeneration a Disadvantage" probably sounds silly. Of course it's an Advantage!

But...depending on the GM's interpretation, not being able to switch off Regeneration could be a serious problem.

I have a super-level PC who Jumps from campaign to campaign, GM to GM, not all of whom treat abilities the same. The PC has very fast Regeneration with Switchable. I paid for the enhancement due to a question that came up.

Imagine a character has very fast Regeneration, healing at 1 HP/second. If that characters gets, for example, a broken leg, they would almost certainly be fully healed before the leg could be set in place. In real life, people who heal without having broken limbs properly set can be crippled. So could the regenerating character be permanently crippled because of Regeneration?

What do you think?
Quote:
I would personally call this GM-rhymes-with-muckery.

There is no reason to even think that having regeneration shouldn't mend broken bones and reset them automatically. Otherwise pricing becomes weird. I would call "Heals without regard to set bones" a Nuisance effect worth at *least* -20%.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #14
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
any GM who sprang such a houserule on a player who paid 100 points for an advantage would, in my view, be demonstrating very bad form.
Quote:
Hear! Hear! I'd rather leave the campaign than pay extra points for Switchable. A GM who is going to screw you over with that perverse ruling cannot be trusted not to screw you over with another one on another advantage. I'd rather watch videos on YouTube than pay 20% of my character points as an insurance bribe to a GM who runs such an extortion racket.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #15
Say, it isn't that bad!

For me, the problem is more the bait-and-switch. It's ok if everyone agrees up-front to use that level of "grimdark"; but the GM does not get to suddenly spring on you, that your power, that you paid points for, also counts as a disadvantage.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #16
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I would personally call this GM-rhymes-with-muckery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
For me, the problem is more the bait-and-switch. It's ok if everyone agrees up-front to use that level of "grimdark"; but the GM does not get to suddenly spring on you, that your power, that you paid points for, also counts as a disadvantage.
I agree with these, with the caveat that, if the injury is not healing correctly because of an in-game reason, like a special attack or other muckery (I like that, I think that'll be the code word for that). If it's part of the story/game why, yes.

GM-Muckery, when done to challenge the characters, can be fun and exciting. When done because they're just poor GMs . . . that's a different story.

I'm an acolyte of John Wick, so, I like a little GM-Muckery. I expect, and invite, it. Have fun, challenge my character.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:39 PM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I agree with these, with the caveat that, if the injury is not healing correctly because of an in-game reason, like a special attack or other muckery (I like that, I think that'll be the code word for that). If it's part of the story/game why, yes.
I don't think it's wrong (depending on genre played in) to have injuries that don't heal properly. However, having regeneration should not be worse than not having it.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #18
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post

GM-Muckery, when done to challenge the characters, can be fun and exciting. When done because they're just poor GMs . . . that's a different story.

I'm an acolyte of John Wick, so, I like a little GM-Muckery. I expect, and invite, it. Have fun, challenge my character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I don't think it's wrong (depending on genre played in) to have injuries that don't heal properly. However, having regeneration should not be worse than not having it.
In game reasons to temporarily beset a protagonist with problems is all well and good, but from how I read the OPs post it was just a GM being a jerk and interpreting how an advantage works in a weird way.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:11 PM   #19
Rupert

The way I see it, Regeneration doesn't affect broken bones at all - they are a 'lasting' crippling effect, and Regeneration doesn't affect those (unless there's Regrowth in there as well). That means that Regeneration wouldn't cause breaks to heal too fast to be set, and if Regrowth is involved, well that brings dismemberments, etc., back to full function so it wouldn't result in a badly healed break either.

If I was presented with this ruling mid-game I'd be pretty annoyed. It doesn't match what you'd expect from the advantage, and it doesn't match the RAW either, and the faster levels of Regeneration are a reasonably expensive purchase and so one shouldn't have to pay extra just to have them not mess you up.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:07 PM   #20
AlexanderHowl

Regeneration includes Rapid Healing though, which gives a +5 to HT for determining crippling duration. Assuming that a hero with Regeneration (Very Fast) has a minimum of HT 12 and Luck (it they do not, they should reevaluate their character design), they would be very unlikely to have a lasting crippling injury (much less a permanent one).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crippled leg, crippling, regeneration