Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #581
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yes, lets do that.

So Daymar has set up a resonance in the hyperspace bubble that will force them to drop out of hyperspace to avoid damage to the field manipulator. The parts that will need maintenance are a few of the plasma emitters, and some of the ship's magnetic field generators (the massive magnetic generators that double as power lines and give strength and structure to both the hyperspace bubble and the shields). Parts you could sabotage to make this process slower:
  • Replacement plasma emmiter nozzels. This will force them (sheilds and select parts of the drive crew) to repair/clean the existing ones.
  • The High Precision High Voltage Meters. There aren't a ton of them, but they're used regularly. They're scattered between shields, power, weapon maint, and drive, but being down even a few of them will slow down the repair work. It will also make half the ship annoyed at each other as they jocky for possession of the remaining HPHV meters.
  • Hide/Loose/Damage the special solder used to work with the magnetic field generators.
I'm open to suggestions of parts that could be sabotaged to stop the maintenance of those two things.
I'm guessing Daymar will be kept pretty busy trying to fix the problem that he caused, but he might be able to "find" (and break) other parts along the way. To start, losing that solder you mentioned sounds doable - what shall he roll against to do so?
Old 03-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #582
TGLS

Quote:
  • Replacement plasma emmiter nozzels. This will force them (sheilds and select parts of the drive crew) to repair/clean the existing ones.
  • The High Precision High Voltage Meters. There aren't a ton of them, but they're used regularly. They're scattered between shields, power, weapon maint, and drive, but being down even a few of them will slow down the repair work. It will also make half the ship annoyed at each other as they jocky for possession of the remaining HPHV meters.
  • Hide/Loose/Damage the special solder used to work with the magnetic field generators.
Would it be possible to solder the plasma nozzles shut? I imagine it wouldn't use up too much solder, but it would trash the nozzles.

I imagine I don't have the know-how to do the same trick as I did with the guns to the voltmeters, so could I try using Surge (PP34) at default to do this? If they're too resistant to electrical damage (I can see this going either way), could we just mess up their calibration and break whichever device is used to calibrate the voltmeters?

Quote:
I'm open to suggestions of parts that could be sabotaged to stop the maintenance of those two things.
If I understand correctly, some of this maintenance involves EVAs; would it be possible to damage spacesuits to limit the number of people who can go on maintenance?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:35 PM   #583
Hide

Considering their name, plasma nozzles might be resistant to surges... because sounds like they were designed for it (plasma, heat, electricity, etc.); however, we could damage the special solder, I feel that's hard to replace (unlike the food from the other ocassion).
Old 03-29-2021, 08:32 AM   #584
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
I'm guessing Daymar will be kept pretty busy trying to fix the problem that he caused, but he might be able to "find" (and break) other parts along the way. To start, losing that solder you mentioned sounds doable - what shall he roll against to do so?

Daymar won't be handling the solder himself... but he's going to constantly be around the people who are. An observation roll should suffice to identify where they keep it and possibly opportunities to steal/misplace it.

Is he planning on destroying the solder somehow, or is he just planning on misplacing it in one of the hundreds of hydrogen brick compartments? Destroying the solder requires rolling electrician. I'm considering how one would destroy that kind of solder. You could melt it into a puddle, which doesn't destroy it but makes it hard to recover. I suppose mixing in some other metal would be fairly effective (I'd want a mechanic skill for that, but you have plenty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Would it be possible to solder the plasma nozzles shut? I imagine it wouldn't use up too much solder, but it would trash the nozzles.
yes, it would be. Welding them shut is probably more destructive and harder to repair though.

Quote:
I imagine I don't have the know-how to do the same trick as I did with the guns to the voltmeters, so could I try using Surge (PP34) at default to do this? If they're too resistant to electrical damage (I can see this going either way), could we just mess up their calibration and break whichever device is used to calibrate the voltmeters?
They will handle some pretty high voltages, yes: you'd need to know what you are doing in order to mess with them. Electronics repair (sensors) is the appropriate skill. You can also smash them with no skill roll, should you get the chance, but subtley has its benefits.

Quote:
If I understand correctly, some of this maintenance involves EVAs; would it be possible to damage spacesuits to limit the number of people who can go on maintenance?
Kind of. Every single compartment has a number of low quality space suits in it, in case of a hull breach. Getting all of those would take a long time. There are a lot fewer EVA suits that are actually intended for work outside, and you could target those, which would slow things down. Most the suits are kept with Shields and laser maintenance sections. There are a good number of the good suits: somewhere around 40 or 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Considering their name, plasma nozzles might be resistant to surges... because sounds like they were designed for it (plasma, heat, electricity, etc.); however, we could damage the special solder, I feel that's hard to replace (unlike the food from the other ocassion).

The nozzles are very physical, and rely on their shape and mechanical movement rather than delicate electronics to function. So yes.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #585
Hide

We could melt the solder over the nozzels, that would be hitting two birds with one stone.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #586
TGLS

Quote:
They will handle some pretty high voltages, yes: you'd need to know what you are doing in order to mess with them. Electronics repair (sensors) is the appropriate skill. You can also smash them with no skill roll, should you get the chance, but subtley has its benefits.
Can I ignore the TL penalty and default from my Elec. Repair (Media)? It'd only be a 9 but it would be something. Maybe subvert someone with Elec. Repair (Sensors) as an alternative?

Quote:
Most the suits are kept with Shields and laser maintenance sections. There are a good number of the good suits: somewhere around 40 or 50.
Does my tool kit contain something pointy enough to cut an EVA suit?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #587
Hide

Quote:
Can I ignore the TL penalty and default from my Elec. Repair (Media)? (...) Does my tool kit contain something pointy enough to cut an EVA suit?
Pacifica can practically touch the stuff and break it effortlessly.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:02 PM   #588
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Daymar won't be handling the solder himself... but he's going to constantly be around the people who are. An observation roll should suffice to identify where they keep it and possibly opportunities to steal/misplace it.

Is he planning on destroying the solder somehow, or is he just planning on misplacing it in one of the hundreds of hydrogen brick compartments? Destroying the solder requires rolling electrician. I'm considering how one would destroy that kind of solder. You could melt it into a puddle, which doesn't destroy it but makes it hard to recover. I suppose mixing in some other metal would be fairly effective (I'd want a mechanic skill for that, but you have plenty).
Okay, here's Observation:

[388] 21-03-29 23:00:38 CEST

Observation

3d6 <= 13
3 + 6 + 1 = 10 ... success

Rather than trying to destroy it, he'll just "misplace" it in one of the hydrogen brick compartments - it should be quicker than trying to destroy it.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:21 AM   #589
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Can I ignore the TL penalty and default from my Elec. Repair (Media)? It'd only be a 9 but it would be something. Maybe subvert someone with Elec. Repair (Sensors) as an alternative?
You can roll against your archaic Elec. Repair to try and understand what's going on at -4, sure.

Quote:
Does my tool kit contain something pointy enough to cut an EVA suit?
The wire cutters applied to a weak spot should do the trick. simply puncturing it with a sharp object... should be doable, but will require a lot of strength behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Pacifica can practically touch the stuff and break it effortlessly.
Yeah, if you want to simply trash them and leave them obviously damaged, no roll is neccessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Okay, here's Observation:

Rather than trying to destroy it, he'll just "misplace" it in one of the hydrogen brick compartments - it should be quicker than trying to destroy it.
So there is quite a lot of the stuff: Its used to repair some pretty big stuff. That's kind of the point. So there is about 3,000 lbs of it. The stuff is stored near the upper aft end of the ship (near shield crew quarters). How will you be moving it, and where in the ship will you be hiding them?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:27 PM   #590
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
So there is quite a lot of the stuff: Its used to repair some pretty big stuff. That's kind of the point. So there is about 3,000 lbs of it. The stuff is stored near the upper aft end of the ship (near shield crew quarters). How will you be moving it, and where in the ship will you be hiding them?
Okay, I wasn't expecting that much. It will be very hard to move that much without being spotted, since I'm guessing repairs will be going on 24-hours per day. Unless he could, say, toss it out an airlock he may be better off finding some other parts to break.

What's the reaction on the ship to it dropping out of hyperspace?