Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #41
martinl

Default Re: Weapon Master for Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't disagree with you in principle, but GURPS doesn't handle it that way, except for unarmed skills.
I'll just jump in to note that I've always found this a little weird. I can see arguing one way or another, but splitting it down the middle is odd.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #42
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Are you saying that Weapon Master isn't cinematic?
Nope. It's definitely as cinematic as Gunslinger, and I'd never allow either in a strickly realistic game.

The only piece I disagreed with was the idea that a link between skill and kenetic energy was unrealistic.

For what it's worth, I make up for this reality dissonance by simply making Special Exercises (Striking St) more prevalent in my campaigns to represent training in applying more energy. This is more sensible than allowing Weapon Master in realistic games.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #43
Kalzazz

The big problem there is the using of handguns against folks with high body armor. Handguns occupy the same niche as a knife or such, their not meant for war

That said, AP ammo to the eyes, since who cares if its pi- when doing brain shots
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #44
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I'll just jump in to note that I've always found this a little weird. I can see arguing one way or another, but splitting it down the middle is odd.
Opening a new thread to explore this question in detail.

[EDIT] I prefer to play it extremely safe rather than jack anyone's thread.

Last edited by aesir23; 01-28-2010 at 03:22 PM.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #45
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I disagree.

I've only significantly studied unarmed martial arts, but a high percentage of the training I've received has focused on using the whole body in unison in order to hit with more effective mass (your whole body instead of just your arm) and to use more muscle groups (using your glutes to accelerate your fist).

There's no reason why weapon training could not teach the same principles*, and no reason weapon skill could not increase damage in the same way that GURPS Karate and Boxing do.

*But I think in general they don't focus on it as much IRL, most weapons being plenty lethal at the forces you can generate normally.
I took his comment to be "skill doesn't increase KE of GUNS" since that was the topic of the thread. I find this totally true, even absolutely true.

With fists and swords, I think skill does impact what damage you can do; there might-should be an upper limit to damage for a given ST and weapon pair (a perfect cut with a given ST can do a max of 18pts of damage, no matter HOW many bonuses you have).

Of course, that's already present in that you don't get more damage than 3x the ST of the weapon.

The way GURPS ST-based damage works is a bit wonky, though, structurally. So rat-holes are easy to find going down this path.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #46
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I took his comment to be "skill doesn't increase KE of GUNS" since that was the topic of the thread. I find this totally true, even absolutely true.
Actually I meant "GURPS assumes that Kinetic Energy isn't dependent directly on skill for armed attacks". It was in response to the suggestion that Weapon Master is somehow less cinematic than gunslinger.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns, new advantage, weapon master