Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
b-dog

Default +1 or better weapon to hit, why can magic weapons hit undead and demons that are imm

I am curious about why a magic weapon is required to hit some supernatural monsters. Is magic imbued in the weapon that allows it to bypass supernatural immunity? Or is it more like silver affecting werewolves and if so why are undead and demons susceptible to magic weapons? And why does a weapon that has no enchantment do no damage and a weapon that has a +1 change do full damage? I am interested in the theories behind more that because it says so in a D&D book. Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: +1 or better weapon to hit, why can magic weapons hit undead and demons that are

Enchanting a weapon grants it a spiritual component. It exists on both planes.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: +1 or better weapon to hit, why can magic weapons hit undead and demons that are

I like David's answer. Many supernatural creatures in fiction exist on several planes, and unless you can reach them on both (all they exist on) attacks are less effective.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
b-dog

But why do GURPS magic items need Spirit Weapon to harm ghosts? Ghosts are thought to live on more than one plane and yet they are unaffected by magic weapons without Spirit Weapon on them. D&D magic weapons can affect insubstantial undead however.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
But why do GURPS magic items need Spirit Weapon to harm ghosts? Ghosts are thought to live on more than one plane and yet they are unaffected by magic weapons without Spirit Weapon on them. D&D magic weapons can affect insubstantial undead however.
I'm guessing legacy from Man to Man. Lotta GURPS fantasy stuff is like that.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Langy

Because GURPS is not D&D.

Are there any statted GURPS monsters that can only be injured with 'magic weapons' in general? I didn't think there were.

EDIT: Just looked through DFM1, Fantasy, and DF2 and couldn't find any that this'd apply to. Closest one was the as-Sharak, which can only be killed by supernatural damage, but I'm not sure magic weapons that don't inflict extra damage count.

Last edited by Langy; 01-27-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
Anthony

Because it's a D&D tradition. In GURPS, you usually require the Ghost Weapon enchantment to affect incorporeal creatures, not just any magic weapon, and other creatures aren't immune to normal weapons.

If you want an excuse, other than a spiritual component, the other (often related) effect is that magic items might be able to resist spells that mundane objects cannot, though this is not generally the case in GURPS Magic.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-28-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Jerander

Quote:
But why do GURPS magic items need Spirit Weapon to harm ghosts?...yet they are unaffected by magic weapons without Spirit Weapon on them. D&D magic weapons can affect insubstantial undead however.
Because that's the way Insubstantiality is defined in GURPS. Physical items/powers -- including weapons -- cannot interact with insubstantial entities, whether magical or not, unless specifically ruled that way (mind-affecting magic and psionics, etc.) or have Spirit Weapon or Affects Insubstantial.

If you want to port over the D&D rules instead of using the GURPS ones, that's your choice. Just assume all undead and demons have Insubstantial, Damage Reistance, and/or other defensive advantage(s) with the limitation, "Not to Magic Weapons, -10%". Limitation value may vary depending on frequency and/or type of magical weapons as dictated by your campaign.

Quote:
...Ghosts are thought to live on more than one plane...
I disagree. Ghosts are not physical entities at all. Ghosts only "live" on a spiritual plane that perfectly overlaps the physical one. Of course, now we're discussing world-specific fluff...Your world is different than mine.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Thought by whom?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
starslayer

I'm not sure what your seeking here- it is not a standard GURPS methodology to have creatures damaged by magic weapons when they would otherwise not be (so it would have to be integrated into the advantages of the creature; DR 'not vs magic' or insubstantiality 'not vs magic' are both good options) so asking 'why does GURPS do it this way' is kind of pointless.

I kind of like the earthdawn approach to this sort of thing. Creatures have a physical self, and an astral self. When a mortal creature is wounded either physically or astrally, then the other half warps to match, and they take damage. Clearly supernatural creatures do not share this linkage and they can't be truely harmed unless both the physical and astral self are effected.

A run of the mill weapon has no astral signature, but a magically empowered one does.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote