Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-03-2021, 10:52 PM   #1
DaosusLeghki

Default Picking Cleric Spells

I recently made a Cleric and realized I have no idea how to pick spells. Unlike a Wizard, there are no pre-requisites. This means every spell will be for an effect you want, rather than to satisfy pre-requisites. Also, Contingency Casting removes the need for "just in case" spells.

I ended up picking a few key spells and then filling the list out with spells that seemed like they might be useful or thematically appropriate.

So, how do you all pick the 20 Cleric spells specified by the template?
DaosusLeghki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:35 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Picking Cleric Spells

Choose a theme and go for that theme. The Adventurers book has customization notes for three (?) different themes - if you want to go outside that you have to consult Spells and look for something to fit your theme.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:50 AM   #3
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Choose a theme and go for that theme. The Adventurers book has customization notes for three (?) different themes
Yes. This is something everyone likely noticed right away, except for the slower readers (Hi!), but:

The spell selections under clerics' and druids' Customization Notes aren't just bunches of useful spells for the themes; each is exactly 20 spells, so it's a grab-and-go package. (Nice!)

Now, if anyone wants to post their own original 20-spell selections here, that'd be helpful.

I'll give it a try. How about Smiting as a theme, covering offensive spells for whacking non-supernatural foes? Like this:

Smiting: Thunderclap, Command, Light Jet, Flaming Weapon, Sunbolt, Suspended Animation, Curse, Earthquake...

...and things dry up around there. I may have missed a couple of spells, but the selection of pure "combat cleric" spells is pretty weak, especially at lower levels of PI. Well, finish up the list with a handful of battlefield-handy spells from each of the Buffs, Healing, and Supernatural Warfare themes, and you'll get a good all-round divine caster with a slight martial edge.

(The above is fine - magical artillery is a wizardly thing - but a few more "pillar of fire"-type miracles would be welcome for the would-be smiters.)

Anyone else?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
InexplicableVic

Ulf Sigurdson, a cleric who has successfully delved in Felltower over 25 times but has, oddly, died twice outside of Felltower (only to be resurrected twice) started off with the following spells (as well as Faith Healing at 33 points):

Affect Spirits-15; Armor-15; Awaken-15; Bravery-15; Cleansing-15; Continual Light-15; Flaming Weapon-15; Lend Energy-15; Major Healing-14; Might-15; Minor Healing-15; Neutralize Poison-15; Recover Energy-15; Restoration-14; Shield-15; Silence-15; Stone to Flesh-15; Stop Bleeding-15; Stop Paralysis-15; Vigor-15.

Ulf largely focused on Healing, with some buffing (Armor, Bravery, Flaming Weapon, Might, Shield). Continual Light and Recover Energy are almost "must have" spells (well, Recover Energy, at least). He used one quirk point for a 21st spell (probably Vigor).

Since then his spell list has expanded quite a bit (he's about 350 points with 6 or 7 unspent, I think). But those were where he started.
InexplicableVic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
Phil Masters

From recent experience, I'll state the obvious and say that healing is a lot of the point of a standard cleric. Any fighter can smack enemies around, and any wizard can fwackoom them with magic, but it takes clerical magic to save them when things go pear-shaped.

And along with Minor and Major Healing, don't ignore the charms of Healing Slumber.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.

Last edited by Phil Masters; 06-04-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
From recent experience, I'll state the obvious and say that healing is a lot of the point of a standard cleric. Any fighter can smack enemies around, and any wizard can fackoom them with magic, but it takes clerical magic to save them when things go pear-shaped.

And along with Minor and Major Healing, don't ignore the charms of Healing Slumber.
And don’t overlook the humble Stop Bleeding. It’s a minor amount of healing, but it is cumulative with Minor and Major Healing.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexplicableVic View Post
Since then his spell list has expanded quite a bit (he's about 350 points with 6 or 7 unspent, I think). But those were where he started.
He now has 47 spells. Notable pickups include two spells for offense (Rebuke Evil, Sunbolt), lots of Protection spells (Resist Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison; Hide Thoughts; Protection from Evil); a variety of what I'll call "utility" spells (Aura, Breathe Water, Create Food & Water, Gift of Tongues/Letters, See Secrets, Seeker, Sense Evil, Sense Life, Silence, Vigil, Warmth); and a bunch of other important spells (Regeneration, which he has used on himself and others several times; Remove Curse; Sanctuary, which is great unless you roll an 18 when casting it, which happened; and Strengthen Will).
Old 06-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #8
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
And don’t overlook the humble Stop Bleeding. It’s a minor amount of healing, but it is cumulative with Minor and Major Healing.
Oh yes -- and it can be used to stabilise mortally wounded characters. Hopefully you won't need that too often, but when you need it, you need it.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #9
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
It's particularly important when someone suffers a heart attack.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:47 AM   #10
Yssa

The first character I designed and played was a cleric devoted to a god of death, with a particular hatred for the undead and elder things. I had:
  • Recover Energy
  • Affect Spirits
  • Dispel Magic
  • Flaming Weapon
  • Great Healing
  • Hide Thoughts
  • Major Healing
  • Might
  • Purify Air
  • Protection from Evil
  • Purify Water
  • Purify Food
  • Restoration
  • Sense Evil
  • Shield
  • Silence
  • Sunbolt
All spells were at 16; I also had and frequently used contingency casting.

I joined mid-campaign so this is for a 283 point character. This is only 17 spells, but I really like being a melee fighter, so I put some extra points into ST, DX, and 12 points into my spear skill. If I remember correctly, I occasionally buffed my compatriots, but mostly used flaming weapon and might on myself, and did my duty as a healer for others.
Yssa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spell lists